U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times

Advertisements

To me Halloween is supposed to be a fun day of fantasy for kids. They can dress up like ghosts or goblins and get candy and it is all fun. However adults are hijacking the holliday and taking it away from kids.

More and more halloween involves not "scary" but horrific images and depictions, and outright sleeze. Our 12 year old does not like going into halloween stores becuase of the gruesome displays. Not too long ago, someone who created such a display would end up in a mental institution. Halloween costumes for women and as a result for little girls have turned into a who can be sluttiest" competition. These things must be created by pedophiles. Realistically they are all slutty becuase the girls see mom and big sister dressing up that way and they want "grown up" costumes too.

Listen tot he radio this morning and they have things like "What happens on Halloween stay on Halloween" One discussion was about a dad who "hooked up" with his daughters best friends mother at a party. But it was Ok because it is Halloween. Another station was telling a gal that it was OK for her to forget about and not call or see again a guy she had sex with while in costume at a party. "he probably does not even know who you are, and after all it was Halloween, what can he expect?"

Why does Halloween have to become a day of sleaze and psychotic gruesomeness?

Haunted houses can be scary without making you want to vomit or giving you nightmares for a month. Costumes can be ghosts, goblins robots. Why do we need 8 year old girls dressed as slutty pirate wenches, slutty witches, slutty cats, or even slutty Dorthy? Boys do not nees ot be mass murderers with bloody weapons or horridly mutilated figures. Why cant a bot be a parrot, a ghost or a simple skeleton? (Not a realistic rotting corpse with globs of decaying flesh)

Why do adults have to take a fun holiday for kids and turn it into a night of sleezyness where "anything goes"?

We need to leave something for the kids without usurping it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,350,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
To me Halloween is supposed to be a fun day of fantasy for kids. They can dress up like ghosts or goblins and get candy and it is all fun. However adults are hijacking the holliday and taking it away from kids.

More and more halloween involves not "scary" but horrific images and depictions, and outright sleeze. Our 12 year old does not like going into halloween stores becuase of the gruesome displays. Not too long ago, someone who created such a display would end up in a mental institution. Halloween costumes for women and as a result for little girls have turned into a who can be sluttiest" competition. These things must be created by pedophiles. Realistically they are all slutty becuase the girls see mom and big sister dressing up that way and they want "grown up" costumes too.

Listen tot he radio this morning and they have things like "What happens on Halloween stay on Halloween" One discussion was about a dad who "hooked up" with his daughters best friends mother at a party. But it was Ok because it is Halloween. Another station was telling a gal that it was OK for her to forget about and not call or see again a guy she had sex with while in costume at a party. "he probably does not even know who you are, and after all it was Halloween, what can he expect?"

Haunted houses can be scary without making you want to vomit or giving you nightmares for a month. Costumes can be ghosts, goblins robots. Why do we need 8 year old girls dressed as slutty pirate wenches, slutty witches, slutty cats, or even slutty Dorthy? Boys do not nees ot be mass murderers with bloody weapons or horridly mutilated figures. Why cant a bot be a parrot, a ghost or a simple skeleton? (Not a realistic rotting corpse with globs of decaying flesh)

Why do adults have to take a fun holiday for kids and turn it into a night of sleezyness where "anything goes"?

This is just another thing that depends on the people you decide to spend your time with. DD6 went to a halloween slumber party this year (all 12-13 year olds besides her). They carved pumpkins, had a costume contest, created new costumes out of the pieces of everyone elses costumes to see who could come up with the craziest one, a few more games like that and then watched Scoobie Doo as their scary movie.

Tonight, we will be trick or treating with all of her cousins in the same neighborhood I trick or treated in when I was a kid.

I don't really see anything being taken away from the kids for Halloween. I see it as the same as when I was a kid when there were adult parties that I wasn't allowed to go to. I didn't care though because I was having so much fun doing the kid stuff.

Also remember the stuff you hear on the radio is over the top because they are usually going for the shock factor.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Historically Halloween has never been just for kids. It's origins are in the Celtic harvest celebration Samhain, Christianity's All Saints Day and Catholicism's All Soul's Day.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM

907 posts, read 1,311,784 times
Not to sound like i'm making excuses... BUT haunted houses are meant to be scary which is why younger kids usually are not urged to go alone, or at all even. Every major haunted house I've seen has been geared towards teenages like myself. Everyone I see that goes is over the 14 and are usually in big groups with other teens. Some teen go with their bf/ gf to have fun. I have seen like mini haunted houses that are meant for children, but I wouldn't expect for something with the name Pure Terror Scream Park to be for children. I refuse to take my sister, as my mom refuses to let her go. As far as i can remeber costumes have always been slutty, it's just a little more accepted now.
Again though, the costumes reflect what teenagers tday are wearing, it is the "normal" to wear shorts/ skirt half way up your butt. Teen parties, kids parties and adult parties should be separated, and the ocassion with the father and friend of his daughter is inappropriate and should/ could have been avioded if groups were seperated. Think about it would you want your 16 year old in a high school with a 40 year old that isn't the teacher?

When I first saw the heading I was expecting to read about how adults try to be kids... nothing annoys me more than getting a 6'3 man knocking on my door asking for candy -___-

Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Not a fan of halloween for kids or adults. Did you know Halloween is 2nd only to Christmas for sales in home decorations? I've been to Halloween parties where every dish, napkin, doorknob and even toilet paper was halloween themed. These people alone must count for half the halloween decoration sales.

I like costumes and trick or treating for the kids but not teenagers and why does each class at school have to have a halloween party? overkill if you ask me. I never had a store bought costume in my life and half the fun was using what we had a home to make a fun costume.

One year for my 10 year old son we put a white shirt with Sewer Inspector name badge sewn on and splattered it with "blood" and put funny rubber rats on the sleeve and in his hair and he had a ball and won a prize. It meant all the more to him cause we used what we had at home and it was all his idea.

For adult party DH and I dressed as Maid Marian and Robin Hood only we switched parts. I made our costumes with remnants and with DH's full grey beard he made a lovely maid Marian. We won first place and the woman who spent a fortune on a Elvis Costume for her husband was furious. But bearded maid Marian and Elvis danced so funny and everyone had a great time.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,275,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I agree though the real scary and gory stuff is really for teens like one of the other posters here pointed out. The slutty, sleezy costumes should not even exist. I think it should be for children too not children of all ages like with the circus. What is it with adults trying to be like their children when they are adults and suppose to be the authority figure. I wonder if any of them ever had a childhood? or maybe they just can't seem to grow out of it. Eh I think getting into Halloween is best done by helping the children to have a great costume they like and to have fun. It's really suppose to be fun for them no matter what it came from or how it used to be.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Not a fan of halloween for kids or adults. Did you know Halloween is 2nd only to Christmas for sales in home decorations? I've been to Halloween parties where every dish, napkin, doorknob and even toilet paper was halloween themed. These people alone must count for half the halloween decoration sales.

I like costumes and trick or treating for the kids but not teenagers and why does each class at school have to have a halloween party? overkill if you ask me. I never had a store bought costume in my life and half the fun was using what we had a home to make a fun costume.

One year for my 10 year old son we put a white shirt with Sewer Inspector name badge sewn on and splattered it with "blood" and put funny rubber rats on the sleeve and in his hair and he had a ball and won a prize. It meant all the more to him cause we used what we had at home and it was all his idea.

For adult party DH and I dressed as Maid Marian and Robin Hood only we switched parts. I made our costumes with remnants and with DH's full grey beard he made a lovely maid Marian. We won first place and the woman who spent a fortune on a Elvis Costume for her husband was furious. But bearded maid Marian and Elvis danced so funny and everyone had a great time.
Meh...life is short. If holiday decorations make a person happy so what? As far as I can tell, holiday decorations don't hurt anyone and aren't intended to offend. So have fun and enjoy whatever holiday it is that floats your boat.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 AM

563 posts, read 1,269,339 times
I had to search for a matching crayon costume online because walmart only had a sexy crayon adult costume and I didn't want to wear that with my daughter, especially because I don't feel skinny enough to pull it off right now.

A few months ago I was thinking about costumes and considered getting a sheep costume for my daughter and going as little bo peep, but you can't find a little bo peep costume that isn't a mini skirt and cleavage.

Very difficult to find appropriate mother daughter costumes, unless I make something myself, which I can't do.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM

11,229 posts, read 9,225,730 times
There is no earthly reason adults cannot have fun on adult time and kids have fun at kid times. We got dressed up and went to a party Saturday. Got a sitter. Tonight is trick or treat night with kids. They don't feel any less fun for the fact that we went out. Some haunted houses are targeted at kids, some not. There is one haunted house in our town that is for kids. Another for adults whose primary purpose is to raise money and food for the local food shelf. How is this bad? It says right on the advertising that it is not appropriate for small children.

You can do what you like with your holiday time. But having a stick in your bum can be no fun.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
I'm not sure how one can steal a holiday, esp one that didn't "belong" to kids anyway (if you look at its roots)

It's kinda like telling people that they aren't allowed to celebrate St patricks Day if they're not Irish.

I do miss homemade Halloween costumes , it made it way more fun to answer the door for trick-or-treaters. I think 90% of the girls that came to the door last year were some sort of "disney princess". However, now that I've got a child of my own, I can totally understand the urge to just pluck a costume from the rack at Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or