Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,035,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Considering the number of people who are opting to not have children now days I'd say they equal each other out. Also, let me ask you this...How do YOU know they are having their other children raise the other kids??? Are you in their home? Do you know them on a personal basis? The answer would be no you do not. I however do and I also know for a FACT that the older kids are not raising the younger ones. Do they HELP around the house and at times with the kids...absolutely. Do they play parents to the younger ones....No not by a long shot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with kids helping out...it actually ends up helping them in the long run, by prepping them for real life. I would say the Duggar kids will be much better prepped fro real life than a lot of kids because their parents have given them some amount of responsibility. My parents were the same way, and I am forever grateful to them for it.

Another little tidbit of info for you....It would be really hard for the older kids to raise the younger one's as you are saying when they aren't even home/around most of the time.
Quote:
The older kids are not even home most of the time, so please tell me how they can be doing all the work. Here is yet another example of only seeing a show and assuming that is how their life is 100% of the time.
Where are they? I'm not asking for specifics, but what are they doing? They all still live there, right? (except Josh) The "middle" ones are still in school which is at home, right? I'm not meaning to challenge what you are saying. I'm truly curious. The show (which i haven't watched lately) has shown how each child has a section of the house to clean, everyone has chores to do which includes laundry and cooking (as a mom, my biggest chores), and each young child has an older "buddy" that watches him or her while their out and about and helps them brush their teeth, etc.

I don't think posters here are making big assumptions. Pretty much everything I've read here is how it has been shown on TV. I don't mean to sound accusatory. I just don't understand how it works, if it isn't how we've all seen it on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Then, perhaps the show should focus on how the other children are moving on with their lives.
I would love to see that, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,170,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

As for the bears, you can't take it literally. The passage in Kings 2:23-24 refers to them as "little children", this draws the picture in the mind of preschoolers that get mauled by bears. In context of the original Hebrew, "little children" would actually refer to what we would now call a "manchild", or an adult that still acted with the foolishness and impropriety of youth. God sent two bears to kill a pack of 42 idol worshipping, Jersey Shore-esque douches that were mocking his prophet. The purpose was to build up some street cred for Elisha, the successor to Elijah.
Jim-Bob and Michelle are literalists. They believe the earth was created in seven days. They believe Adam and the dinosaurs coexisted, unless the show a few seasons back with the field trip to the Creationism museum was pure fiction. So yes, we absolutely can go for literal bears.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,166,760 times
Quote:
Then, perhaps the show should focus on how the other children are moving on with their lives.
That I will agree with.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Umm, yes, Catholics believe that a miracle happens each time and the wine and bread is converted into the body and blood of christ... not "symbolism". Every church I've ever been to has bells.
The bells are not a specifically necessary part of the rite. You are welcome to check the Catechism of the Catholic Church if you'd like. I'm on a borrowed computer and don't have my links handy.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,209,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Then I guess that they will deal with the challenges of a child with such disorders, or the death of an infant, like any other parents. Thankfully, they have a very good support system built in.
When I was in the hospital some years ago having my first baby, I met an older woman who was in there having something like her 15th or 16th (a very small, underweight baby). She told me that she and her husband would have as many as god gave them and so far god had been good to them and had only "taken" two of their babies. You know, if they had stopped at 8 or even 10, then there would have been a good chance they would never have known the heartbreak of losing a child (I can't remember what "number" the two babies she lost were).

I wonder if the Duggars take advantage of any gestational testing? Not that I would expect them to terminate a pregnancy under any conditions but knowing ahead of time of any problems puts everyone (doctors included) at an advantage come delivery time.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
My point exactly, society does not benefit by limiting the reproduction of a good gene pool. If your genes are inferior, then by all means spare the rest of society.
Eugenics and creepy religion all in one thread...all we need now is cornflakes.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,166,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Where are they? I'm not asking for specifics, but what are they doing? They all still live there, right? (except Josh) The "middle" ones are still in school which is at home, right? I'm not meaning to challenge what you are saying. I'm truly curious. The show (which i haven't watched lately) has shown how each child has a section of the house to clean, everyone has chores to do which includes laundry and cooking (as a mom, my biggest chores), and each young child has an older "buddy" that watches him or her while their out and about and helps them brush their teeth, etc.

I don't think posters here are making big assumptions. Pretty much everything I've read here is how it has been shown on TV. I don't mean to sound accusatory. I just don't understand how it works, if it isn't how we've all seen it on TV.

I would love to see that, actually.

Well obviously Josh is on his own. John David still lives at home but is running a towing business and very active on the volunteer fire department both of which take up a lot of his time. Joseph is also still at home but is often busy with mowing or fixing stuff (he loves construction), on missions (with the older kids) with friends. The girls are active with music, missions, friends they all still live at home but are often gone doing their own thing.

The show only shows a very small portion of their life, which leaves time for other things.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,578,667 times
Quote:

The show only shows a very small portion of their life, which leaves time for other things.
Like making babies?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,211,858 times
Quote:
Well obviously Josh is on his own. John David still lives at home but is running a towing business and very active on the volunteer fire department both of which take up a lot of his time. Joseph is also still at home but is often busy with mowing or fixing stuff (he loves construction), on missions (with the older kids) with friends. The girls are active with music, missions, friends they all still live at home but are often gone doing their own thing.

BBM - What is their own thing? I've watched enough episodes to never see them off doing their own thing. The only outside interraction I've seen is w/ their cousin and that other family w/ a ton of kids. Just curious if doing their own thing involves toting along a baby, a diaper bag and a stroller?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,132,126 times
Quote:
I agree^^. There is a difference between taking care of a little sister or brother for a bit, and being responsible for taking care of kids all the time. Michelle is either down sick pregnant or nursing. The bulk of the work in that house is on the other kids. Those kids can't go to school, or get jobs, they are needed at home. They don't get their own lives, they are living their parents lives. Even the oldest son, Josh (?), he is running his Father's business. It is interesting. I think they are kept so busy, they they don't think about what they want, or could even do with their lives.

As a parent, I was always encouraging my kids to try new things, see the world, ON THEIR OWN, not as a family unit. There is the family, but also the individual. And while the Duggars allow their kids to do things, it is always as a family. No one is encouraged to get out, and spread their wings. Seems very strange to me. But, again, those kids can't leave, who would take care of everything?! Mama is too busy birthing babies.

Exactly my point all along, and people argue this isn't true. So I'm glad others see it too. This is absolutely correct.

And to the poster who said maybe the older girls are okay with it? Um, they obvisouly have no choice BUT to be okay with it. It's forced on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting