U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM

5,502 posts, read 3,825,125 times
Waves of nausea pass over me as I read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
Michelle & Jim Bob Duggar Expecting 20th Child - Yahoo! TV

20 kids over a period of about 24 years. I can not imagine being pregnant most of that time!!! It's crazy!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM

8,688 posts, read 4,589,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My wife is a fan of the Duggar's, I have seen the show plenty of times to make an informed opinion of them. My opinion is that I don't condone or believe the same things that they do, but it is also absolutely no business of mine.

The Duggar's believe what they believe. If they are entrusting themselves to God's will, then so be it, who are we to criticize their beliefs? They are not hiding behind God's will as some do to support positions that attack the lifestyle choices of others or deny medical care to their children etc. I personally find their brand of Christianity to be both odd, yet wholesome in a strange way.

The Duggar's do not ask anyone for handouts, nor are they living off of the money from their TV show. They are perfectly self-sufficient and well regarded citizens of their community. I see what the Duggar's are doing to be a world removed from the other "large family" shows and stories like Octomom and Jon and Kate. These people love, care and provide for their children, therefore it is not any of my business how many they choose to have.

I do think having another after what they went through with Josie is a poor decision, but only for the potential health issues faced by both baby and mom. They could have quietly decided to abstain, but that goes against their beliefs that they are obviously deeply attached to and so far seem to have done alright by them.
Just to be clear here. They bough their land but Discovery channel arranged for their house to be built, decorated, and for all of their furnishings and appliances.

WebCite query result

Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,612,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I roundly object to the name Jinger. It looks like it should rhyme with singer.
There, there. I'm sure they'll name the next one Julia. Or maybe Julian if it's a boy.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,104,768 times
denverian -- they want all of those kids to produce more "soldiers for God" -- literally, "God's army."

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM

13,569 posts, read 14,848,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Just to be clear here. They bough their land but Discovery channel arranged for their house to be built, decorated, and for all of their furnishings and appliances.

WebCite query result
The link wasn't exactly clear, but here is a better one detailing what they got:

Where Does the Duggar Family Live | LoveToKnow (http://reality-tv.lovetoknow.com/Where_Does_the_Duggar_Family_Live - broken link)

Quote:
The Duggars owned the property their house was built on, so that expense was not an issue for them. They used lots of recycled materials to keep costs down, and the whole family put in hundreds of working hours to build the structure.

Because of the family's status on television, sponsors were also involved in donating materials for the home, as well as appliances and furniture. Some of these sponsors included The Home Depot, Sears, Coca Cola, and Huggies.
OK, so they didn't do it ALL themselves, but according to interviews and the actual show produced about the house, they had been in the process of building the home for years and Michelle essentially designed it herself. Part of their deal with TLC was the finishing of the home and TLC enlisted sponsors to get it done and donate materials as well as furnishings and appliances.

I still don't consider that "living off the show" as compared to say Jon and Kate whose entire lives were based on the income and sponsors for their show. The Duggar's are extremely frugal and manage money well in their own right as attested to in the article you linked. They have long been invested in the car and real estate businesses. That family isn't going to collapse financially when TLC decides to stop doing the show.

That was the difference I was getting at.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,585,353 times
I admit I don't really understand their lifestyle or the need to have so many kids, but they seem like nice people to me and the kids seem like good kids so good for them. Congrats.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,169,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ummm... To them it's not an "excuse". It is their faith. (Or religion or belief system or whatever description applies nowadays.) From what I know about them they see each child as a blessing. Some people have a faith and choose to live it. Just as you choose not to.

Personally, I wouldn't know what to DO with 20 children. Twenty. That's like two baseball teams with subs on the bench.

Thank you. They see each pregnancy as a gift from God. If they have a baby with a disability, that baby is still a gift from God. Is having a baby with Down Syndrome or something else a risk? Sure, but he would still be their baby.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,169,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The rhythm method isn't perfect, but I doubt that they are using it. They don't have to use birth control--they can simply choose not to have sex while she is ovulating. It's not 100% but Mrs. Duggar would not be having a baby a year at that rate.
Their group believes that is the same as birth control. Withholding intercourse so as not to get pregnant is considered the same.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM

741 posts, read 516,744 times
I am soo jealous! I wish that I could have a #7 but hubby got fixed :/ I hope and pray that everything turns out okay for the Duggars

Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,206,631 times
Gross. Cant imagine if there is any elasticity left in that place. Having 20 kids should be illegal. My goodness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting