U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 PM
 
970 posts, read 669,577 times
Reputation: 839

Advertisements

When you express why the punishment is issued as you are the Parent. Children learn equally as much from school,television,parks etc... Spank is a form of Punishment just as timeout. People from spankless homes are capable to hitting others just the same.

 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
 
9,285 posts, read 5,545,713 times
Reputation: 9289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
When you express why the punishment is issued as you are the Parent. Children learn equally as much from school,television,parks etc... Spank is a form of Punishment just as timeout. People from spankless homes are capable to hitting others just the same.
I don't understand the first sentence.

Children are not influenced significantly by anything other than their parents until middle and high school. I can dig up the research if you would like to see it. What is interesting is that is the point at which most people stop hitting their children.

I am also not contesting that hitting is not a form of corporal punishment so I do not understand the third sentence. I do think it is telling that people who hit their children frequently say the only other form of punishment is timeouts. It shows a lack of understanding of other effective methods of discipline.

Finally, I agree not hitting your children is not a panacea by any means. But effective discipline need not include spanking, and since we now there are risks and potential long term harm to children who are hit by their parents I do not understand why parents do it.

On a side not brought up by Julia, do you think it is okay to hit elderly, parents in your care? What if they have dementia and reasoning with them "will not work"?
 
Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 3,982,307 times
Reputation: 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaber2Alaska View Post
Why is it assumed that spanking only means whipping with a belt.
Nobody is assuming that. For myself, I am replying directly to a poster who admits to whipping her children with a belt.


Quote:
I would never under any circumstances hit my son with a belt. He gets an open palm on his clothed bottom. I am not out to hurt him and i never have hurt him. I have hurt his feelings certainly. It has been PROVEN that screaming at a child is more harmful than a swat on the tush.
Go to your library and check out the parenting section. The idea that spanking and screaming are the only two options and that spanking is the lesser of two evils is horrifying.

Quote:
And a lot (not all) of parents who dont spank just scream at their children. I dont hit him out of anger. If I am angry i send him to his room because i just dont want to look at him when im angry. i spank him to teach him that there are consequences.
There are so many better ways to raise kids. I am saddened by the ignorance.
 
Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 3,982,307 times
Reputation: 9557
I mentioned this thread to my son the other day. He looked at me aghast and said "People HIT their kids? Why would they do that? Don't they love them?" When I explained that people do to get their kids to behave he asked, "Why would anyone behave for someone who hit them?" Out of the mouths of ... well not exactly babes.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,307 posts, read 1,508,078 times
Reputation: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Regardless of whether it is abuse or not, it is still a terribly ineffective teaching tool for teaching anything of value. It teaches I am bigger than you so you have to obey me. Whom will they obey when they grow up? Or will they be big and require others to obey?
Other forms of disciplines teach them the exact same thing.. I am bigger than you and you must obey me.. When they get older, if you have them taught them respect then they will respect others, period.

Do you think the GREATEST Generation were spanked less or more than the current crop???? And yet they are considered the greatest our country has ever offered... makes you wonder doesn't it..
 
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 3,982,307 times
Reputation: 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Other forms of disciplines teach them the exact same thing.. I am bigger than you and you must obey me.. When they get older, if you have them taught them respect then they will respect others, period.
I don't think hitting engenders respect. I would not respect someone who tried to get their way with me through violence. Why would a child?

Quote:
Do you think the GREATEST Generation were spanked less or more than the current crop???? And yet they are considered the greatest our country has ever offered... makes you wonder doesn't it..
I am not sure whom you are referring to when you refer to this greatest generation. I don't know who considers what generation the greatest. There is no greatest generation as far as I am concerned.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM
 
2,490 posts, read 2,068,526 times
Reputation: 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't think hitting engenders respect. I would not respect someone who tried to get their way with me through violence. Why would a child?


I am not sure whom you are referring to when you refer to this greatest generation. I don't know who considers what generation the greatest. There is no greatest generation as far as I am concerned.
The Greatest generation was the generation born from 1900-1925. They fought in WWII, and were noted for their optimistic and team working attitudes. But "Generations" by Strauss and Howe noted that the Greatest Generation was more stern than the older generation about corporal punishment, meaning they were more likely to use it.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,807,109 times
Reputation: 4853
Some kids need butt-whoopings and some don't. I'm glad I got them.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,807,109 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I mentioned this thread to my son the other day. He looked at me aghast and said "People HIT their kids? Why would they do that? Don't they love them?" When I explained that people do to get their kids to behave he asked, "Why would anyone behave for someone who hit them?" Out of the mouths of ... well not exactly babes.
Children are incredibly practical thinkers, which comes from the lack of knowledge about the world. He likely thinks of all forms of hitting as violence, when this is clearly not the case.

If you don't believe in corporal punishment, then fine, but there's no good reason to assume the worst of those of us who do.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 3,982,307 times
Reputation: 9557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Children are incredibly practical thinkers, which comes from the lack of knowledge about the world. He likely thinks of all forms of hitting as violence,
And he is right.


Quote:
when this is clearly not the case.
It is not clear to me At All.

Quote:
If you don't believe in corporal punishment, then fine, but there's no good reason to assume the worst of those of us who do.
Is it problematic to you that I think you are misguided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top