U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 PM

16,272 posts, read 29,862,519 times
This behavior is more indicative of gender identity disorder than being gay. "Female born in a male body" which is caused by abnormal fluctuations in maternal hormones during pregnancy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 PM

1,737 posts, read 480,505 times
I am with the steer him away from the girls clothes crew. This whole new trend of people claiming that their YOUNG children want to be the opposite sex, wear the clothes of the opposite sex, etc. is a bunch of bunk. Children ALWAYS want to do things that they see or hear of others doing, that doesn't mean we should blanketly allow it. Yes--- it IS the parent's responsibility to steer their children in the "right", or socially acceptable, or customary direction. How else do children learn what is customary or "normal"? All societies through all time have trained their children up in the way which they should go (to paraphrase the bible)- nothing wrong with that! There is enough confusion about our roles in this society in this day and age as it without us adding to our own children's confusion. And if he still chooses to buy and/or wear womens clothing when he is an adult--- then love him just as much as you have all along...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM

963 posts, read 637,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
I am with the steer him away from the girls clothes crew. This whole new trend of people claiming that their YOUNG children want to be the opposite sex, wear the clothes of the opposite sex, etc. is a bunch of bunk. Children ALWAYS want to do things that they see or hear of others doing, that doesn't mean we should blanketly allow it. Yes--- it IS the parent's responsibility to steer their children in the "right", or socially acceptable, or customary direction. How else do children learn what is customary or "normal"? All societies through all time have trained their children up in the way which they should go (to paraphrase the bible)- nothing wrong with that! There is enough confusion about our roles in this society in this day and age as it without us adding to our own children's confusion. And if he still chooses to buy and/or wear womens clothing when he is an adult--- then love him just as much as you have all along...
Well structure paragraph and Input!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,271,723 times
So... if a girl wants to wear jeans and tshirts, we should tell her, "those are boys' clothes"? Oh, but wait - they aren't now! Even though they sure used to be. I think kids are smartening up, and many of them know the whole idea of "boys' clothes/girls' clothes" is ridiculous and limiting. So, a boy likes sparkles and pink? Big deal! It doesn't necessarily mean anything about gender identity or sexual preference - it means he likes sparkles and pink.

I do think you need to know your community, the kids he hangs out with, etc. before you just let him wear those clothes to school. I purposefully kept my kids around folks who would support them, no matter what, but I know not every child is so lucky. Don't send him in to the lion's den, in other words, but if your area is more liberal and the kids seem open-minded and friendly, he should be able to wear what he wants.

You can choose to keep your kid's world limited and small because of fear of what others will think, or you can let him know you support his choices, no matter what. With that involves being responsible enough to not let him go into a hurtful situation, but people, especially kids, might be more open-minded than you fear. How 'bout a simple, "He likes sparkles" to anyone who says anything untoward? Be *with* him, be his partner; don't let b.s. judgments from others who don't know and love him dictate his choices.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:12 PM

9,269 posts, read 5,237,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I am baffled you would allow your child to wear female attire (I do not believe you are Born Homosexual). Being that your child is a male he should wear Male clothing. Anyone that believes it is okay to crossdress a child may be mildly sick(a for of Neglect if you will). Even if the child is say Gay he is a male! Quite hard to understand why said boy would dress in the garb of a female. There are a pluthera of routes to allow a child to express their creativity but crossdressing is not one of them nor should it be the only form of expression.
Sick?

It is a social norm no more or less and there is no such thing as innate male clothing.

Just 60 years ago it women were not supposed to wear pants. Now it is the norm, that does not make women who wore trousers back then "sick", just ahead of their time.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Maybe this behavior is a normacy in your area but It certainly strikes a warning sign. Wearing wedding dresses,sparkles, and suggestive slim pants are things that must be addressed. Teach your children gender lines as they should never be blurred. I find it hard to believe a Father shopping with his son to purchase female undergarments or twinkle toes obviously made for females. This is Neglect
It most certainly is NOT neglect.

Girls play dress up all the time and when they play house one of them usually has to pretend to be the husband. It is just role play and has no sexual or even particular gender overtones.

Girls dress up as firemen, or policemen or any other set of traditional male roles but if a boy plays in the kitchen some people consider this "Wrong" (despite the FACT that the number of top chefs who are male out number those who are women).

Second, many, many teen boys now wear slim jeans and it is just a fashionable and HETEROSEXUAL style. Why boys are precluded from certain colors and girls are not is just SEXIST and a project of adult hangups. There is nothing gay or feminine about the color pink, it is JUST A COLOR any connotation associated with it is from society and most kids do not understand those things at this age. Get over it.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM

2,491 posts, read 1,992,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sick?

It is a social norm no more or less and there is no such thing as innate male clothing.

Just 60 years ago it women were not supposed to wear pants. Now it is the norm, that does not make women who wore trousers back then "sick", just ahead of their time.
It is a sickness. It's called Gender Identity Disorder.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
It is a sickness. It's called Gender Identity Disorder.
Uhm, no. GID is a series of issues and the most important factor is that a person FEELS they are not the same internal gender as external. Wearing certain items of clothing can be related but need not be. A women 100 years ago may have worn pants (say for riding a horse or for comfort) and still felt completely a woman. Therefore she would not have had GID. A young boy who does not yet have the developmental skills to understand societies norms may just be attracted to the bright colors, and sparkles of girls clothing, BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING INHERENTLY FEMININE ABOUT THEM.

For example, in our society wearing skirts is typically reserved for women, but there is nothing inherently feminine about skirts. This is clearly proven by the FACT men in other societies wear skirts with no associated feminine traits.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM

1,591 posts, read 885,141 times
When our son was that age he decided one day that he absolutey must wear a different color sock on each foot. I tried to stop it, but the more I tried to stop it, the more he wanted to wear 2 different color socks.

I let him wear different color socks & within a few days he decided that was boring & went back to wearing a matching pair of socks.

These "customs" we have can seem silly to kids. Why shouldn't people wear 2 different color socks?

Maybe let him wear it for a few days, he may just get bored & forget the whole thing.

Try being honest & explain to your son that other kids might tease him if they realize he's wearing girls underwear. Ask him why he wants to?

To him it may be akin to wearing a Halloween costume. Don't read too much "adult thinking" into it.

That being said, if his desire to wear girls clothing continues for an extended period of time, and continues to escalate, you may want to consult someone.

Kids can be cruel & his wearing of girls items could potentially cause him a lot of pain from his classmates.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM

648 posts, read 1,858,391 times
I agree with the PP. Please use this as an opportunity to talk to your son. I have a boy the same age, and I could not be content with just a simple compromise (not that I am saying you are doing that). I would need to discuss why he wants to wear girls clothes. How does he feel about being a boy etc...Right now, you are that little boy's world. He will look to you for advice, support, acceptance. You need to be in this together, whatever is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting