U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
It is not okay in any shape or form to wear female clothing as a male. People must stop the BS and making excusses for nonsense.
But it is OK. I've worked with some incredibly successful men that wear a wide range of women's attire, from full on makeup to dresses to nail polish to sarongs with Doc Martins. I assure you they are as masculine as it gets, and rich to boot.

They also have zero problems getting chicks, even though some of them are not at all good looking, make up or no.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 PM

9,480 posts, read 13,334,142 times
FDR age 3
Boy.jpg
Brothers.jpg

Why did boys wear dresses
Clothing is what you make of it. If some people didn't push the envelope clothing styles would still be what they were a hundred years ago, and boys would still be wearing dresses.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Kilts.
And sulus.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
I would not pathologize this, but, I agree, just say "no", nip this in the bud. My little girl wanted to be like her brothers, and play ice hockey, I said "nope, you are taking ice dancing lessons" she moped for a few weeks. She was fine.

Why didn't I let her play hockey? Because she was enough of a tom boy. I decided she needed to do things with other little girls, and get excited about pretty dresses. And it worked like a charm. She started wearing pink, and doing her hair and nails. And hanging out with the other girls at the skating center.

So, I suggest you "man him up" and get him some ice hockey lessons, or take him to football camp, soccer games, so he can hang with boys his age, and have boy stuff to do.

(Mom of three boys, one girl).

Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,537,409 times
Oh, my. Really? Why does a girl have to be all into pink and nails and hair? Wow.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
I have been reluctant to post in this thread as I think my views would be unpopular. I see nothing wrong with an 8 year-old expressing curiosity in clothing. It's quite innocent, and only gets translated into something pathological or deviant by adults. It may be something as simple as shopping at a different store, buying a different style of clothing, or encouraging fantasy/dress-up when in the safety of the home. There are many different approaches that may be taken here, it's not either/or, or black and white. I think making a child feel ashamed for expressing themselves and their curiosity is very sad.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would not pathologize this, but, I agree, just say "no", nip this in the bud. My little girl wanted to be like her brothers, and play ice hockey, I said "nope, you are taking ice dancing lessons" she moped for a few weeks. She was fine.

Why didn't I let her play hockey? Because she was enough of a tom boy. I decided she needed to do things with other little girls, and get excited about pretty dresses. And it worked like a charm. She started wearing pink, and doing her hair and nails. And hanging out with the other girls at the skating center.

So, I suggest you "man him up" and get him some ice hockey lessons, or take him to football camp, soccer games, so he can hang with boys his age, and have boy stuff to do.

(Mom of three boys, one girl).
Wow, that is so sad. I am originally from Massachusetts and I, my sisters, and all of our friends played ice hockey and loved it. SO much fun, it was like soccer but in the winter. We played pond hockey, league hockey and the boys and girls in the bantam leagues played on the same teams. Hell, the prom queen at my high school played ice hockey, and most of the girls on the teams were as "girlie" as can be off the ice. The girl across the street from my dad's house went to college on a full hockey scholarship and she was by no mean alone.

The list of positive things girls learn from taking part in team sports is long and varied and it saddens me that there is a perception that taking part in team sports means a girl is not feminine. Look at Mia Hamm, or Gabrielle Reese, both world class athletes and feminine, beautiful women (Gabby Reese was a top model for years besides being a gold medal winning athlete).

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,061,866 times
I agree, lkb. Girls hockey is pretty popular around here- there's a cooperative program between the high schools in our district for a team and everyone I know who has a kid on the team says their kids love it.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,448,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
^^^^^^^please listen.

Btw, once in a month is not enough for the dad. Boys need a man in their life all the time.
+1

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Okay, yes, my daughter does play ice hockey. But when she was seven, and all she did was hang with her brothers, she was more like a little boy, than a girl. She is a girl, not a boy! Same with this child, he is a boy, not a girl. He is identifying with girl stuff, girl clothes...it won't kill him to wear girl clothes...but I think he needs to get some boy time. Before there is too much gender confusion.

Demonize me. But boys should not be given a green light to wear girls clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or