U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 PM

3,563 posts, read 3,502,853 times

Advertisements

Teens Using Vodka Soaked Tampons To Get Drunk - YouTube

Hey, at least they are learning a good lesson in anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,685,889 times
I can not imagine how much inserting a vodka-soaked tampon would burn such sensitive tissue .

Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM

970 posts, read 1,714,959 times
That sounds very uncomfortable, not to mention stupid.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,271,933 times
If children will take to bath salts for a buzz this shouldn't be a shocker. Although I am still amazed at the avenues we take to be cool

Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM

42,029 posts, read 48,880,111 times
How exactly is that better than just drinking the vodka?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 AM

25,391 posts, read 29,335,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How exactly is that better than just drinking the vodka?
It would hit the blood stream faster. You're bypassing the stomach. The alcohol would hit the blood stream almost imediately and it would not be diluted by being mixed by the contents of the stomach. I would expect blood alcholhol levels to go up faster than they would if you were drinking on an empty stomach. Also, the video says that one tampon holds about a shot. You could sneak tampons into a party and no one would think twice.

This is really dangerous. If you're drinking and drink too much, you pass out and stop drinking. If you have a vodka soaked tampon in place and you pass out, the alcohol keeps being absorbed by your system. I'm also concerned that kids, who don't have access to vodka, might try it with denatured alcohol (the kind you can buy in the pharmacy). I'm going to have to go google how denaturing works now....I just know that denatured alcohol is unpaletable.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-12-2011 at 03:52 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It would hit the blood stream faster. You're bypassing the stomach. The alcohol would hit the blood stream almost imediately and it would not be diluted by being mixed by the contents of the stomach. I would expect blood alcholhol levels to go up faster than they would if you were drinking on an empty stomach. Also, the video says that one tampon holds about a shot. You could sneak tampons into a party and no one would think twice.

As a physician, I understand the mechanics of bypassing the 'first pass,' so to speak. However, I don't get why they'd go to the trouble and the (OWIE!) pain of doing this when you can get pretty effed up on something that potent (80 proof) reaaaallly fast the 'traditional' way.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
As a physician, I understand the mechanics of bypassing the 'first pass,' so to speak. However, I don't get why they'd go to the trouble and the (OWIE!) pain of doing this when you can get pretty effed up on something that potent (80 proof) reaaaallly fast the 'traditional' way.
The only thing I can think is the ability to easily transport alcohol to events where a bottle would be noticed. Seriously, who's going to check tampons to see if they've been soaked in alcohol? If you froze them, they wouldn't leak until they melted. A girl could take a half dozen vodka soaked tampons into a school dance and, probably, get away with it. We look for bottles and smell breath when kids arrive (my school gives every student a wrist band when they enter a party so that a staff member has to get close enough to them to smell their breath).

I think it's more of a way to get the alchol into venues they couldn't otherwise. Plus they seem to think they'll pass a breathalizer this way.

I don't get the OWIE part either but I've heard of middle school students snorting pixie dust which has got to hurt and you won't even get high off of that. I don't understand kids. I just teach them...

Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 AM

Yes...pixie stick snorting. Even when I was in middle school, I thought that was artarded.

I guess transport is the best reason I can think of. It's going to wind up on their breath sooner or later, though.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Yes...pixie stick snorting. Even when I was in middle school, I thought that was artarded.

I guess transport is the best reason I can think of. It's going to wind up on their breath sooner or later, though.
I don't think they realize that. They know so much more than us adults you know .

We have a serious problem with kids showing up drunk at school functions. This would be a way to get past the guards at the gate, yet, still get drunk. You could hide vodka soaked tampons in plain sight and no one would look twice.

My fear is they'll try it with denatured alcohol. I think the common assumption is the denaturing agent just makes it unpaletable. They might not realize that they use toxins to denature alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or