Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

To each her own, but we T or T every year and my daughter loves it. Also, I'm pretty sure that the only incident of tainted candy ever documented was the man in Houston who poisoned his own kids for the insurance money many years ago. As long as you're with your child and check over the candy when you get home, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,830 times
I would only feel comfortable Trick or Treating at homes of people that we know. I like the community or in-home parties better.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,584 times
My husband never grew up trick or treating because of his parents religious beliefs. I grew up trick or treating all the time so my husband has decided he wants to relive his childhood through our daughter. He was reluctant at first but now LOVES it and understands why I loved it so much growing up. I think its a blast, our daughter loves getting all dressed up. We have a GREAT time every year!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
We have taken our children trick-or-treating since they were about 2 or 3. We do not go to tons of houses or anything like that. When they were real little we went to maybe 5-10 houses, mostly people we knew. Now we go to more but we are always with them, they carry flashlights and since it is usually cold, we drive them. After that we go to the local high school to a party they have for the area kids. Our children love it, and it is a rite of passage of childhood. Just do it in a safe way. Check their candy, go to people's homes you know, carry a flashlight, make sure they can see well through their costume, and have fun!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I have a son that will be turning 5 in October as a matter of fact and I was wondering how other parents felt about trick or treating. We hear all of the horror stories of people that are out on Halloween trying to kidknap kids for one. Then the other thing we have to worry about are the whack jobs that try to taint the treats. Theese things alone make me a little leary of trick or treating. I thought it might be a nice thing to have a costume party at my home with some of my son and his friends. Have a couple of big pumpkins filled with candy for them to eat and cook some sort of dinner. Then maybe do some age appropriate activites such as pumpkin decorating and maybe painting of Halloween pictures and perhaps rent some Halloween cartoon style videos. I dont know it was just a thought. Does anyone think I am just a little too paranoid about trick or treating?
Like others said, you may have to be selective where you take your child but don't deny them of having a great time.

This is a post I made last October.

I am so in trouble when my wife finds out that I found her haloween candy hiding spot. I don't generally eat candy except at this time of year. I think it's some regressive candy gene I have. I wish my children were still young so I could eat.. er... I mean inspect their trick or treat candy to make sure it was safe for them to have. I am however the giver of the goodies on haloween. We get dozens of trick or treaters and sometimes I mess with the kids (the ones I know). When they come to my house I ask if they want to trade. I ask to look in their bags and if I see a piece of candy I like I offer a trade. For instance if I see a grape tootsie pop I'll offer 5 snickers for it. Most jump at the deal. (By the way before you blow me up, they all still get their regular treats whether or not they trade, so I'm not a mean old man.) More times than not I wind up giving them their candy back without them even realizing it. One kid will tell another and I've actually had children ask what I'll give them for a piece of candy. I'm sure it's a piece they don't like. I'll say this. When they get older they will remember the man that use to trade candy at haloween. Hopefully this will bring a smile to their faces!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
My husband and I are in agreement that some of our best childhood memories are of trick or treating. Every year, like two fools, we buy a ton of candy, dress up, and wait for the little ones to come. We can't wait to have kids to take trick or treating.

I am sure your little guy will be completely safe, trick or treating with his parents. When I was young, my father always "checked" our candy...which meant that he personally ate half of it, and if he felt okay afterwards, we could eat the other half.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
If your child wants to go Trick or Treating, take him/her. One Halloween, I volunteered for the "TRICK OR TREAT AT THE MALL" thing. Not a SINGLE incident the whole night. Yes, incidents do happen when it's dark out, but a mall is a nice-lit place to Trick or Treat.

Especially if this will be his/her first time. Go with your kid's friends and THEIR parents. The more people you have in a T or T group, the less likely a predator will attempt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting