U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM
 
Location: here
16,998 posts, read 14,256,668 times
Reputation: 13896

Advertisements

A while back there was a discussion about homeschooling vs unschooling vs traditional schooling. Our America with Lisa Ling on OWN this Sunday will be on extreme parenting, and will profile am unschooling family, and a very structured "tiger parent" family. I have the DVR set!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Eastwood, Orlando FL
889 posts, read 581,880 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
A while back there was a discussion about homeschooling vs unschooling vs traditional schooling. Our America with Lisa Ling on OWN this Sunday will be on extreme parenting, and will profile am unschooling family, and a very structured "tiger parent" family. I have the DVR set!
Talk about both ends of the spectrum. I think both are just a bit wacky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
 
Location: here
16,998 posts, read 14,256,668 times
Reputation: 13896
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Talk about both ends of the spectrum. I think both are just a bit wacky
I think most of us fall in the middle somewhere. I'm interested to see both extremes, especially the unschooling. I want to see what that is all about, and if the kids actually learn what they need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Eastwood, Orlando FL
889 posts, read 581,880 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think most of us fall in the middle somewhere. I'm interested to see both extremes, especially the unschooling. I want to see what that is all about, and if the kids actually learn what they need to.
I'm a homeschooler, but a by the book, I need tests and grades homeschooler. I've known some unschoolers. Some were just lazy and it was an excuse. Some took it very seriously. I know an unschooler who has 2 sons at Stanford.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 11-22-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 3,028,251 times
Reputation: 3579
I know quite a few unschoolers and from what I've observed, unschooling can look completely different from one family to the next. There's a spectrum to it with radical unschooling being at the opposite end from traditional schooling. I wonder if they will focus on a radical unschooling family or a family with more structure? I'm curious to see the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,349 posts, read 2,337,882 times
Reputation: 2962
Even radical unschooling doesn't have to be "extreme". I mean - I guess, from most people's perspective, it IS extreme, but really - we're a normal family. We live without rules or punishments, and the kids are free to choose what to do with their time, with my support for what they choose. That *sounds* extreme, but when you get to know us - we're fairly normal. We wouldn't stand out in a crowd, except we're happier than many families I know, and get along better. OK, maybe we'd stand out a bit.

I do talk to my kids about societal expectations. I wouldn't let them misuse public property or anything, in the name of radical unschooling. (some parents would, unfortunately!) I hope they're interviewing a responsible, happy, established radical unschooling family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
 
Location: here
16,998 posts, read 14,256,668 times
Reputation: 13896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Even radical unschooling doesn't have to be "extreme". I mean - I guess, from most people's perspective, it IS extreme, but really - we're a normal family. We live without rules or punishments, and the kids are free to choose what to do with their time, with my support for what they choose. That *sounds* extreme, but when you get to know us - we're fairly normal. We wouldn't stand out in a crowd, except we're happier than many families I know, and get along better. OK, maybe we'd stand out a bit.

I do talk to my kids about societal expectations. I wouldn't let them misuse public property or anything, in the name of radical unschooling. (some parents would, unfortunately!) I hope they're interviewing a responsible, happy, established radical unschooling family!
What if they break something of yours or ruin the furniture, or something, or hit each other, or something? How can you not have rules or punishment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 3,028,251 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Even radical unschooling doesn't have to be "extreme". I mean - I guess, from most people's perspective, it IS extreme, but really - we're a normal family. We live without rules or punishments, and the kids are free to choose what to do with their time, with my support for what they choose. That *sounds* extreme, but when you get to know us - we're fairly normal. We wouldn't stand out in a crowd, except we're happier than many families I know, and get along better. OK, maybe we'd stand out a bit.

I do talk to my kids about societal expectations. I wouldn't let them misuse public property or anything, in the name of radical unschooling. (some parents would, unfortunately!) I hope they're interviewing a responsible, happy, established radical unschooling family!
I also hope that they interview a responsible family, radical or not. Most unschooling families that I've seen show positive examples of how unschooling can and does work. I have witnessed one very negative and very extreme example of unschooling. I hope that the program chooses to go with the norm rather then the extreme example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,349 posts, read 2,337,882 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
What if they break something of yours or ruin the furniture, or something, or hit each other, or something? How can you not have rules or punishment?
I started to answer, then realized that would take this thread WAY off-topic! I will answer in a new thread. I really enjoy sharing what has worked so well for us! I might not get it posted until tomorrow sometime - I tend to be just a bit brain-dead after work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
 
21,871 posts, read 12,632,880 times
Reputation: 23401
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I started to answer, then realized that would take this thread WAY off-topic! I will answer in a new thread. I really enjoy sharing what has worked so well for us!
I hope you do. I don't know much about it and would be interested to learn about your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top