U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,429,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Yes.

The positives of single-sex schools for girls are well documented. Girls are more likely to participate in class and less likely to dumb themselves down. They also assume all leadership roles on campus and benefit from being surrounded by strong female role models.

Plus, of course, there are no cute boys to distract them from learning.
Those same girls also go BUCK wild in college and when they are exposed to boys. COming from an all girl high school and going into college with some of these girls, i can say that it's a double edged sword. I don't know how dumbed down girls can be since on average they do better in school then males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,203,721 times
No because the only places in the real world that segregate for sex is prison and private school. neither of which are very appealing.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,437,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
No because the only places in the real world that segregate for sex is prison and private school. neither of which are very appealing.

Ha! As I stated earlier in this thread, I hated the two all-girls schools I attended.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,850,372 times
No, I would not. It's unrealistic to put them into a one-sex world. I wanted them to learn to deal with every possible scenario that daily life would throw at them.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 AM

295 posts, read 466,353 times
i went to single sex catholic school i do not approve. First off in the REAL WORLD we have to work, socialize with all and when your in h.s. this is a imporant stage in our lives. our next step is dating and going to college and working and if you dont understand the opposite sex and spend your education in one sex school you are missing a lot about learning about the other sex.

I did not understand men very well after hs and it took many many yrs before i did, or even relate to them or understand men and dating.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 AM

2,262 posts, read 4,734,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
In my experience with single-sex schools, there's plenty of opportunities for boy/girl socializing. Generally speaking, if there's an all girl school in a city there will also be an all boys school as well. I know in Milwaukee there's an all boys school and an all girls school and those schools have homecoming together, girls go to the boy school's football game, they participate in plays/drama together, and pretty much know the kids from the opposite gender school very well, they're just not together during the school day.
This is what the catholic schools were like where I grew up too. Some of the situations described here are bizarre. As if they lock the kids up before and after school so they have no way of ever interacting with members of the opposite sex! My niece and nephew (siblings) went to grammar school with both sexes and then single sex high schools. They loved it, received great educations and then chose to go to 'mixed' colleges. They had plenty of interaction with the opposite sex during high school. Our son will be going to public school but I would not object to same sex school at all.

And adding men or boys to the mix WILL NOT make girls less catty!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,514,087 times
My boss went to an all-girls school, and she speaks of it very highly. Her daughters now go to an all-girls school, and I know both of them are accomplished and doing well academically. I ordinarily wouldn't consider a same-sex school, but I respect her opinion very much. I believe her girls go to a parochial school, however, and I would not be inclined to send my kids to a religious school.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

215 posts, read 258,597 times
BUT... too much on emphasis on boys'/ girls' attractions...in school today! Instead of learning, most girls and guys are worried about their next "hook up"! Just in today's paper, stories about the girls giving boys oral s*x in the stairwells at school! So it seems the kids are already girl/boy crazy! Years ago I would of never suggested a single-sex school but today, with so much focus and popularity status... And "this" being considered "IN"...I think single-sex education is needed! And classes to teach our kids respect towards ourselves and each other! Teens will be grateful years later...when they meet "THE One"!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM

2,779 posts, read 4,437,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
BUT... too much on emphasis on boys'/ girls' attractions...in school today! Instead of learning, most girls and guys are worried about their next "hook up"! Just in today's paper, stories about the girls giving boys oral s*x in the stairwells at school! So it seems the kids are already girl/boy crazy! Years ago I would of never suggested a single-sex school but today, with so much focus and popularity status... And "this" being considered "IN"...I think single-sex education is needed! And classes to teach our kids respect towards ourselves and each other! Teens will be grateful years later...when they meet "THE One"!

The girls in the all girls schools I attended were obsessed with boys and every bit as sexually active as the kids in the co-ed school I went to.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM

3,663 posts, read 4,380,224 times
No, because they need to socialize, learn and adapt to both sexes not just one. When they get in the real world, it's required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting