Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times

Advertisements

What age would you allow your daughter to wear makeup? (not just "lip gloss" but full makeup)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What age would you allow your daughter to wear makeup? (not just "lip gloss" but full makeup)
1 years old. Or whenever they can manage to put it on, even boys which means it's usually just smeared on when they got into it while very young.

They can wear make up around the house at least but maybe not to school if the school has rules. Make up washes off and I think it's just something even little kids like to do for fun.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
14 or 15. When they start high school.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
First I would advise her that "less is more".

Then I would instruct her on the differences between daytime makeup and nighttime-dressed up-and-going-out makeup

Light daytime makeup by 8th grade or age 13.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
I would say some time in middle school.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
One day when mom and dad are in the garden planting a tree a small girl and boy may appear in high heels, skirts, extensive makeup and a smirk from ear to ear. Although it may be difficult to determine where the smile begins and the makeup ends.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
my 28year old daughter STILL won't wear makeup or jewelry. She is a natural beauty and doesn't need it but a little color on her face would be nice. Still I respect her choices and keep my mouth shut. don't think she ever had any desire to wear the stuff. I only wear it when I leave the house.

Nothing sadder than a beautiful young girl with makeup piled on an inch thick. Makes them look cheap. But if they are showing interest in middle school then get just the basics to try. DO NOT take her to makeup counter at department store because there they are trying to sell makeup and will smack every product on the kid in hopes of making a big sale.

Buy translucent powder and fluffy brush, tweezers, mascara and lip gloss to start off. Most girls need very little else. maybe a faint bit of blush.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Probably some time around 8th grade. But if it were up to my husband it would be never, lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
my 28year old daughter STILL won't wear makeup or jewelry. She is a natural beauty and doesn't need it but a little color on her face would be nice. Still I respect her choices and keep my mouth shut. don't think she ever had any desire to wear the stuff. I only wear it when I leave the house.

Nothing sadder than a beautiful young girl with makeup piled on an inch thick. Makes them look cheap. But if they are showing interest in middle school then get just the basics to try. DO NOT take her to makeup counter at department store because there they are trying to sell makeup and will smack every product on the kid in hopes of making a big sale.

Buy translucent powder and fluffy brush, tweezers, mascara and lip gloss to start off. Most girls need very little else. maybe a faint bit of blush.
I was actually going to suggest the exact opposite. My mom had a tradition with all of us girls that I plan on carrying on with my DD. When we got our first period, she took us to the Clinique counter so that we could get some makeup and be taught by a professional how it should be put on. She picked Clinique for a couple of reasons. 1. They are hypoallergenic (which is good because I happen to be allergic to a lot of makeups). and 2. It is a very light makeup and much more natural looking than most of the other counters. She also discussed with them exactly what she wanted. She wanted a very natural look, no foundation, no eyeliner, etc. She told them that if they do what she asked, she would buy everything. If they do something different, she won't buy anything. They followed her instructions to a T.

I thought it was great. Because they made me feel so good wearing a natural look I have always worn that look and will still sometimes go without makeup at all. Through the years, I have added eyeliner, and will wear foundation for a special occasion, but I had a great start to wearing makeup and hope to pass that on to my DD. I am not saying she has to wear makeup when she gets her period for the first time, but I feel the same way as my mom about it. If she is old enough to have to deal with that once per month, she is old enough to decide if she wants to wear makeup to school that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting