Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
When you are underage it is against the law. When you are not underage, it is fine in moderation, but not when driving. Period
There are some states that will allow people under the age of 21 to consume alcohol ON THEIR PARENTS PROPERTY WITH THEIR PARENTS PERMISSION AND SUPERVISION.

You can call my local police department. I will DM you the number. I know this for a fact. It is true. I have asked officers. I have been on calls where this has happened.

Some states allow parents to give their kids permission to drink at home, as long as they are present and supervising it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Me too!! Also, to be honest with you, my kids WERE allowed an occasional "taste" of our alcoholic beverages. Their responses? "OMG, HOW can you DRINK that? That's nasty!"

Thats how I feel to this day! lol. Granted i've never had a fruity girly drink i've only taken shots of liqour and *shudders* the stuff is gross.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But its not bad to drink. Its OK in moderation, its OK to have a margarita when you're out with the girls at dinner at Chili's, or a glass of wine when you and your boyfriend/husband are having dinner or doing something special or a glass of wine at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or a beer on the 4th of July. Wine on New Years to toast in the new year. It's ok to have a beer with the guys on football sunday or to decompress friday night after a long week at work while you sit at home and veg out. Its even ok to go to a party and have a few drinks and socialize. Just do it smart.

Teaching them the above is IMHO the best method.
If you're all OHHH ALCOHOL IS SOO TABOO, its so bad never do it, and you hide it from them and make it seem to be this big mysterious thing.
You THE PARENT, do it to yourself, you add this novelty factor, you make them curious, you make them feel like its this huge thing they haven't tried and it makes them want to try it more.

Seriously beer and wine taste nasty, give your kid a sip, that'll turn them off from alcohol for sure. NOT SMALL CHILDREN.

MODERATION. The key is moderation.

Don't pull a snookie and end up falling all over the place while you vag is sticking out of your too short spandex dress.
Don't pull a lindsay lohan and follow up your martini with a line of coke.
Don't end up the next morning wondering where you are, who the dude is laying next to you and wondering where in the world did you get money for a tattoo of Chuck Norris's face across your chest.

Also would like to add, I am not an alcoholic. I really don't drink all that often for my age and I don't drink very much when I do drink.
I also prefer fruity mixed drinks rather than pounding down the hard stuff.
Please don't compare yourself to others. Depending on who you hang around with, getting hammered 3x per week, can be "I don't drink much at all, compared to my friends." I think it's even more important to teach our kids that alcohol does NOT have to be imbibed in order to have a good time. Two out of three of my "over-aged" kids are MISERABLE! Most of the kids their age don't know how to have a good time withOUT alcohol being involved. Going to the beach? Bring some beer or wine coolers. Playing a game of baseball? Having a bbq? Who's bringing the booze? It's not as if they NEVER drink any alcohol, but my kids like to DO things, that do not involve alcohol and it can be darn tough to find people who can take it or leave it.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default I said when it was against the law

Quote:
There are some states that will allow people under the age of 21 to consume alcohol ON THEIR PARENTS PROPERTY WITH THEIR PARENTS PERMISSION AND SUPERVISION.

You can call my local police department. I will DM you the number. I know this for a fact. It is true. I have asked officers. I have been on calls where this has happened.

Some states allow parents to give their kids permission to drink at home, as long as they are present and supervising it.
If that is the law in your state, then it isn't against the law is it??

Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
If that is the law in your state, then it isn't against the law is it??
You JUST said if you are underage its against the law.

I was just trying to prove that some states allow "minors" to drink, under certain circumstances, that parents giving their child alcohol is not illegal everywhere.

IMHO, it really should be up to the parents in all states.
Not supplying for parties but just for your own child as a way to teach and moderate and supervise.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Please don't compare yourself to others. Depending on who you hang around with, getting hammered 3x per week, can be "I don't drink much at all, compared to my friends." I think it's even more important to teach our kids that alcohol does NOT have to be imbibed in order to have a good time. Two out of three of my "over-aged" kids are MISERABLE! Most of the kids their age don't know how to have a good time withOUT alcohol being involved. Going to the beach? Bring some beer or wine coolers. Playing a game of baseball? Having a bbq? Who's bringing the booze? It's not as if they NEVER drink any alcohol, but my kids like to DO things, that do not involve alcohol and it can be darn tough to find people who can take it or leave it.
Exactly. My boyfriend always calls me the party pooper because I dont like to drink. Its like he cant enjoy himself if Im not drunk with him. Luckily since becoming pregnant and now breastfeeding he cant say anything. lol

Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Then they need to find new friends.
Even when I do drink at parties I am one of the few that keeps it to a minimum.
Which I am very thankful I did because one girl did not and she had to be taken away in an ambulance, I was sober enough to get her vitals and watch her breathing while another person called 911 and third person assisted me in making sure we kept her alive.

She was just numbers away from alcohol poisoning.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
EXCUSE ME?!?!

First off not everyone believes in god.
And second of all, tattoos and piercings are not "white trash".

My friend is super religious and has the tree of life tattooed on her back, she also has her belly button done.

Second of all, I have a nose stud, my belly button done and ears done as well.
You can ask anyone here, I am not white trash. I am the most stuck up, slightly spoiled, snooty person here. I live in the burbs, my family drives an SUV ffs. I dress preppy. I am HARDLY white trash.

There are a lot of upper class people with tattoos and piercings.

While you are entitled to you own opinion, your opinion is biased and prejudice against class ranking and religious beliefs. Its narrow/close minded, rude, offensive and flat out....help me out guys what is the word I am looking for here...conceited.
Now txt....there is something you're not understanding here.... the term "white trash" is strictly a state of mind and really does not have anything to do with clothing, tatooes, piercings, what kind of car you drive, the kind of neighborhood you live in, etc. White trash is purely a state of mind and a description of "character".

I've met quite a few people who are "white trash", yet live in nice houses, drive great cars, no tatooes or piercings, other than one hole in each ear. I've also know quite a few people whom the poster would consider "white trash", simply because of the way they dress, the house they live in or the car they drive....and the poster would be DEAD wrong!

Last edited by beachmel; 12-01-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I was just trying to prove that some states allow "minors" to drink, under certain circumstances, that parents giving their child alcohol is not illegal everywhere.

Not supplying for parties but just for your own child as a way to teach and moderate and supervise.

No it shouldnt.

Woman charged in connection with drunk driving death of teen - Independence, MO - The Examiner

granted this wasnt her OWN child. Still smh.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

What about this one?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ticle-1.158171
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting