U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM

16,971 posts, read 11,904,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why? I am as happy as can be.
Well...all is good then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM

8,315 posts, read 10,063,183 times
Navel piercings are quite common but i think in some states the child must be a min of 16 & have parents consent (im not sure).

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,253,002 times
A navel piercing at 14? Hmm... I guess it would depend on the girl. If this was a mature 14 year old that you don't have to worry much about, I don't see a problem with it. If it was a 14 year old who you still had to remind to wash her hands or take a shower, then no. If if was a 14 year old who was more interested in doing good in school and extra-curriculars than boys, no problem. If it was a girl that was boy crazy and you had to force her to do homework, I would probably say no.

I was the girl who did good in school. I was interested in boys, but not if they interfered with my school work or even kept me away from my novels. My mom told me that she wouldn't have had any problem with me getting my navel pierced when I was younger, but there was no way that either of my sisters would be allowed while they were living at home.

Like most things in life, it comes down to the individual and whether they are ready for that kind of responsibility.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 PM

5,475 posts, read 3,123,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
A navel piercing at 14? Hmm... I guess it would depend on the girl. If this was a mature 14 year old that you don't have to worry much about, I don't see a problem with it. If it was a 14 year old who you still had to remind to wash her hands or take a shower, then no. If if was a 14 year old who was more interested in doing good in school and extra-curriculars than boys, no problem. If it was a girl that was boy crazy and you had to force her to do homework, I would probably say no.

I was the girl who did good in school. I was interested in boys, but not if they interfered with my school work or even kept me away from my novels. My mom told me that she wouldn't have had any problem with me getting my navel pierced when I was younger, but there was no way that either of my sisters would be allowed while they were living at home.

Like most things in life, it comes down to the individual and whether they are ready for that kind of responsibility.
My mom was against piercings when I was younger. I had my ears done but that was it.

Once I turned 18, I just went out and came home random times with random piercings. Cartilage, nose, belly button.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wear binikins and tankinis because I cannot stand pulling my wet suit up after peeing. But I have a friend who got a navel piercing and never wears bikinis. She and I both did it to feel pretty *to ourselves*. That is where confidence comes from, when you feel good about yourself even when no one is looking. I don't see what age has to do with it.
So you are saying if you didn't have a naval piercing and couldn't look at it, you would have no self-confidence or feel pretty to yourself? You *need* that to feel good about yourself?

Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
What if it's a girl who never wears midriff shirts or low-rise pants, and who will most likely be the only one to see her own piercing? What if she wanted the piercing just for her own personal reasons and there were no risks of having her bare it to everyone?
Sure -- but then it certainly shouldn't destroy her not to have it done at age 14 but wait until she's 18 and on her own and then she can have this private little piercing and stare at it the whole day long and admire herself greatly for it.

Even the denial that it's done to impress others is immature. I would hope a mature woman, someone over 18 could be honest enough to admit that they got the piercing because she thinks it looks sexy and gets attention. A 14 year old insisting she needs this just to feel better about herself and that it's never going to be seen by others is not going to convince me of anything.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 AM

5,475 posts, read 3,123,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sure -- but then it certainly shouldn't destroy her not to have it done at age 14 but wait until she's 18 and on her own and then she can have this private little piercing and stare at it the whole day long and admire herself greatly for it.

Even the denial that it's done to impress others is immature. I would hope a mature woman, someone over 18 could be honest enough to admit that they got the piercing because she thinks it looks sexy and gets attention. A 14 year old insisting she needs this just to feel better about herself and that it's never going to be seen by others is not going to convince me of anything.
I got mine at 21and I hardly got it to look sexy and gain attention. I never wear anything that shows it off, unless its summer and I'm in a swim suit but even then its the same swim suit Ive been wearing for two years now, its not like I've give out of my way to get a showy one. I have two pieces, some bikini, most look more like what they wear in beach volley ball.

And it doesn't make me feel sexy either.
It makes me feel cool.
And its not like I've gotten all this amazing atention from it, I got it, I told my friends, they said cool and that was about it.

I think people work up in their head that things are going to be a bigger deal than they really are.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,172,974 times
Quote:

Agreed! BTW...thanks for the comical visuals. If it's only done for someone's "personal" reasons, they wouldn't even tell anyone, would they? I don't feel as if every mom out there who allows her daughter to get pierced or tattoed, is a bad mom. However, for those mom's who stick to their guns and say, "No....if you want it done, that's something you have to look forward to after you turn 18 AND can pay for yourself (or heck, even an 18th birthday present).", I think that's cool!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 PM

8,012 posts, read 3,776,918 times
Quote:
So you are saying if you didn't have a naval piercing and couldn't look at it, you would have no self-confidence or feel pretty to yourself? You *need* that to feel good about yourself?
No. One thing being true does not make the converse true. That having a navel ring makes me feel pretty does not in any way mean that not having a navel ring makes me feel unpretty. Wearing a nice outfit makes me feel pretty. Wearing pink toenails makes me feel pretty. The converse, that the absence of these things makes me feel unpretty is not the case. There is no need involved. But I don't seek to live my life, or require my children to live their lives, based solely on need. Sometimes a simple pleasure is just that. A simple pleasure.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 216 times
I'm a 14 year old guy, and I have my tongue, 2 lip piercings, nose, septum, brow and ear piercings stretched to 7/16ths.. I think 14 is fine for getting pierced. They're holes that are barely noticeable when taken out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting