Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You really love to generalize about things don't you? Not all deli meat is heavily processed or super unhealthy.
Heavily processed? Processed is processed. When it comes to healthy food, there is no such thing as lightly processed.

I posted previously about buying meat. I wanted to clarify to somebodynew that I wasn't talking about deli meat. Most deli meat is processed and unhealthy and only slightly healthier than eating fast food.

Less processed deli meat (like turkey off the bone) is normally very expensive, unless it's on sale. The sales don't happen every week for the healthier stuff. Since we were discussing the price of groceries, it's relevant that lunch meat can be cheaper and healthier if made via leftovers from roasts. There's also the added beneift of buying roasts from farms that don't use hormones or medicines. Now that truly would be the healthiest lunchmeat possible. If you buy a side of beef from a farm, it's not more expensive than buying hormone meats from the meat department at a grocery store.

But if you think ham off the bone or turkey off the bone isn't processed, think again. Ham off the bone is cured. Curing is processing. Turkey off the bone is processed too. I cold go on and on. Lunch meat doesn't fit the criteria of people who want to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods.

Quote:
...But they say bacon, sausage, and lunch meat may be worse

The researchers crunched the numbers from 20 previous studies done worldwide, and found that eating processed meat was linked to a 42% higher risk of heart disease. And it was tied to a 19% higher risk of type 2 diabetes.

They say the risk rose to that level with about 2 ounces of lunch meat or 1 hot dog a day.

The researchers say the processed meats include any meat preserved by smoking, curing, or salting, or with the addition of preservative chemicals. That includes bacon, sausage, salami, hot dogs, or processed deli or luncheon meats.

Harvard study links processed meat & heart disease| 6abc.com | 6abc.com

Last edited by Hopes; 11-29-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wasn't talking about deli meat.
I was not replying to you wrt deli meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You don't need meat, but you can usually find lean cuts meat for $3 or $4 in a deli,
But I had it wrong regardless. She did not say DELI MEAT, she said meat IN A deli. May be she has access to delis that sell whole meat? Around here you there are specialty meat markets where you can get good quality meat (no salt injections...). But they sure are not cheap.

Quote:
I was talking about regular cuts of meat (steak, pork chops, chicken, etc.) Deli meat is a processed food and super unhealthy. If you must have deli meat, you can buy a roast and slice the leftovers for your sandwiches. That's wholesome sandwhich meat without the fillers and it's much cheaper than buying at the deli.
What price per pound are you able to buy your roasts at, I wonder?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Heaving processed? Processed is processed. When it comes to healthy food, there is no such thing as lightly processed.

I posted previously about buying meat. I wanted to clarify to somebodynew that I wasn't talking about deli meat. Most deli meat is processed and unhealthy and only slightly healthier than eating fast food.

Less processed deli meat (like turkey off the bone) is normally very expensive, unless it's on sale. The sales don't happen every week for the healthier stuff. Since we were discussing the price of groceries, it's relevant that lunch meat can be cheaper and healthier if made via leftovers from roasts. There's also the added beneift of buying roasts from farms that don't use hormones or medicines. Now that truly would be the healthiest lunchmeat possible. If you buy a side of beef from a farm, it's not more expensive than buying hormone meats from the meat department at a grocery store.

But if you think ham off the bone or turkey off the bone isn't processed, think again. Ham off the bone is cured. Curing is processing. Turkey off the bone is processed too. I cold go on and on. Lunch meat doesn't fit the criteria of people who want to eat whole foods and avoid processed foods.
None of this is true. There are many deli meats that are not processed and that contain the same ingredients that you would use at home.

There is ham available that is not cured. Do you have a Whole Foods store near you? This ham is delicious and widely available for approximately the same price as cured ham.

Uncured Ham

You can also buy roast beef that is regular roast beef sliced at the deli counter. A good quality deli roast beef contains the same ingredients you would use in roast beef at home. It it typically not a processed product. This type of roast beef is readily available at just about any grocery store around here.

The same goes for sliced turkey breast and chicken breast, bone removed but not processed. Products like this are available at Whole Foods and at some other grocery stores. It is somewhat less readily available than the ham and roast beef but I can usually find it.

If you shop at a store like Whole Foods something is on sale every week so you shouldn't have to pay more for deli meats at Whole Foods than at any other grocery store. Last week thes store near me had uncured ham for $7.99 per pound. That's about the same price as Boars Head cured ham is at other supermarkets.

It is quite possible to eat deli meat that is whole and unprocessed. It is also possible to obtain it at a reasonable price. While it is cheaper per pound to buy a whole roast many people choose to buy half a pound of deli meat rather than a roast that will likely weigh several pounds and perhaps spoil before it gets eaten in its entirety.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about food.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Heaving processed? Processed is processed. When it comes to healthy food, there is no such thing as lightly processed.
I don't agree with this At All. Healthy is not like an on/off switch. It is a range of goodness. If I grow wheat and mill it into flour by hand, I have processed it. The dried long grain rice in a box is processed. Its fiber and nutrient content is much better than the more highly processed converted rice which is better still than minute rice, for example.

Quote:

I would not consider exclusive use of whole or unprocessed foods as a requirement for healthy.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would not consider exclusive use of whole or unprocessed foods as a requirement for healthy.
Me neither, but there certainly are many deli meats available that are not heavily processed, not super unhealthy, and not necessarily more expensive than other deli meats. It may require one to shop somewhere other than the mainstream grocery store but these foods are readily available in most areas.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Me neither, but there certainly are many deli meats available that are not heavily processed, not super unhealthy, and not necessarily more expensive than other deli meats. It may require one to shop somewhere other than the mainstream grocery store but these foods are readily available in most areas.

Where do you get them? Back when I was using a price book, I compared the local super market base price, sale price, club store (never has sales on meat) and local butchers and delis. The club store base prices were every so slightly lower than the grocery store. The grocery stores' super salty processed stuff was hands down most consistently cheapest.

What other non-mainstream meat outlets are there? I would love to compare shop there! We are a very pro meat family. (DH is a lifter.)

Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Last week thes store near me had uncured ham for $7.99 per pound. That's about the same price as Boars Head cured ham is at other supermarkets.
$7.99 per pound. The entire "meat" discussion is about being able to affordably eat healthy foods. For people on tight budgets, $7.99 per pound doesn't qualify.

Quote:
While it is cheaper per pound to buy a whole roast many people choose to buy half a pound of deli meat rather than a roast that will likely weigh several pounds and perhaps spoil before it gets eaten in its entirety.
There's an appliance called a freezer. It's very useful too. The entire roast can be cooked and a portion reserved for the freezer. Or the raw roast can be butchered at home into smaller cuts and frozen to be cooked in the future.

Before you respond about it taking more time, remember the context here. We're not talking about what many people do. We're talking about ways to buy healthy food more cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew
What price per pound are you able to buy your roasts at, I wonder?
WAY less than Momma_bear's $7.99 per pound. The bigger cuts of meat you buy, the cheaper the meat is per pound. If you're buying quality, quantity is the way to go for saving money. When I buy from a local organic farm where the animals aren't given hormones or antibiotics, quality meat (even expensive cuts of steaks, etc.) is only $2/pound at the most.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Where do you get them? Back when I was using a price book, I compared the local super market base price, sale price, club store (never has sales on meat) and local butchers and delis. The club store base prices were every so slightly lower than the grocery store. The grocery stores' super salty processed stuff was hands down most consistently cheapest.

What other non-mainstream meat outlets are there? I would love to compare shop there! We are a very pro meat family. (DH is a lifter.)
I go to Whole Foods and I buy what is on sale. Their regular prices are high but their sale prices are typically similar to the higher end mainstream supermarket prices. It is never as inexpensive as the mainstream supermarket's super cheap stuff but I can get Applegate uncured ham for about the same prices as Boars Head Ham when it is on sale. Something is on sale every week at Whole Foods.

I can also get Whole Foods sale roast beef for about the same price (sometimes even a little less) than Boars Head Roast Beef at Publix. I sometimes buy the Boars Head when I can't get to Whole Foods. It is not heavily processed or super salty.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
If you shop at a store like Whole Foods something is on sale every week so you shouldn't have to pay more for deli meats at Whole Foods than at any other grocery store. Last week thes store near me had uncured ham for $7.99 per pound. That's about the same price as Boars Head cured ham is at other supermarkets.
That is entirely my point. $7.99 for a pound of food is a LOT. Compare that to 89 CENTS for a pound of pasta. $1.08 for a pound of sugary canned beans. I don't know what the price per pound of ramen noodles is (God help anyone who ever eats a pound of that stuff.) But a single service for one person is something like 29 CENTS. A box of rice that costs $2.99 will last many, many meals.

Quote:
It is quite possible to eat deli meat that is whole and unprocessed. It is also possible to obtain it at a reasonable price.
Thinking back to the not so long ago when we were single income, I would not call that a reasonable price.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I depends on where you live. Most metros have farms in the surrounding areas within a hour's drive. If you buy meat in bulk from these farms, you save lots of money, which is especially great if you find an organic farm. I buy mine from here: Mish Farms Meat Market Inc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting