U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM

8,012 posts, read 4,053,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I think if someone is giving an 11 or 12 year old child a bikini wax, they would be seeing A LOT more than her "thigh".
Nope. Have you ever had one? Unless you are getting a brazilian, you keep your under wear on and move it slightly to the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM

10,578 posts, read 5,074,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you obviously didn't read the actual post, only the title of the thread. Otherwise you would know that was exactly the point she was trying to make.
All I saw was the age - 11...need I know more? Simple fact that this post might be some perverse red herriing..I have two daughters and two sons..adults now...I really don't remember any of the kids having pubic hair at 11 - not that I checked but I would have heard about it...I did not have proper pubes at 11...and if you do it might be one or two hairlets..

What this reminds me of is all the kaffufle about body hair on females - In western culture some fools percieve hair on a womans under arms as being unsightly and disgusting - as if the under arm was some mis-placed secondary vagina or something..My wife and many other do not shave their pits - It does not matter to me...it looks normal - but then again I was brought up in an eastern european family...and there was no woman hate as there is in western society.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM

10,578 posts, read 5,074,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
All I saw was the age - 11...need I know more? Simple fact that this post might be some perverse red herriing..I have two daughters and two sons..adults now...I really don't remember any of the kids having pubic hair at 11 - not that I checked but I would have heard about it...I did not have proper pubes at 11...and if you do it might be one or two hairlets..

What this reminds me of is all the kaffufle about body hair on females - In western culture some fools percieve hair on a womans under arms as being unsightly and disgusting - as if the under arm was some mis-placed secondary vagina or something..My wife and many other do not shave their pits - It does not matter to me...it looks normal - but then again I was brought up in an eastern european family...and there was no woman hate as there is in western society.
Just to clarify..all parts of a womans body are beautiful in their natural state..young people should be taught if hair grows then it is supposed to be there...unless you are growing a big Italian stash and you are a woman - get rid of the damned thing> OR - you have a mole on the end of your nose with a big long hair growning out of it...I for the life of me could never understand why people walk around like that and do not notice that the mole is the center of attention...OR things like black heads the size of potatoe pits imbedded in the face of older people - what the hell is all that about?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM

8,012 posts, read 4,053,608 times
Quote:
My son recently turned 11. He has had full on pubic hair for a year. At the beginning of this school year, when he and his classmates were 10 for the most part, they did their puberty segment which covered pubic hair. So one can imagine that many kids are beginning to have it.

Quote:
Matters of fashion and appearance just are. It seems no more weird to want to remove hair than to wear red stuff on lips or metal in ears.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

22,167 posts, read 12,990,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It's not that it worked fine for millions of years just people didn't have the means to get rid of it.
Wrong. Get thee to a museum, txt, for a little instruction on ancient Greek and Egyptian culture.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM

10,141 posts, read 11,536,385 times
Quote:
It's not that it worked fine for millions of years just people didn't have the means to get rid of it.

I would totally not shave anything with a razor from the 1800's.
But with the razors I have now its a totally different story.
There are records of women removing body hair thousands of years ago. Threading, sugaring (similar to waxing), and shaving were done by many ancient Persians, Greeks and Roman women. I get a huge chuckle out of folks who act like American women just invented hair removal (not you).

Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM

17,015 posts, read 14,511,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
this type of thnig is very normal. i have been getting my legs waxed since 9 i believe. i was a pageant baby so manicures fake nails and hair were very common & not unusual at all
The pageant world is NOT normal! None of this is normal! I'm truly sorry that it was a regular part of your childhood, but it isn't for most of the population.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM

17,015 posts, read 14,511,787 times
Quote:

um, yes if you want to participate in the conversation you should actually READ the post and watch the video. The poster is not advocating bikini waxes or even asking for advice. she is actually speaking AGAINST the practice.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM

27,885 posts, read 22,116,808 times
Quote:

I would totally not shave anything with a razor from the 1800's.
But with the razors I have now its a totally different story.
Oh come on. You really think that for milennia women were dying to get rid of their public hair but just didn't have a way to "get rid of it"? That's funny. Men have shaved for milennia, women could have, too.

But I'm not talking about not having the means or good enough razors. We DID have razors and depilatories in the 60's and 70's and early 80's, ya know, and before that, but it hadn't yet become fashionable to remove pubic hair.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 4,998,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh come on. You really think that for milennia women were dying to get rid of their public hair but just didn't have a way to "get rid of it"? That's funny. Men have shaved for milennia, women could have, too.

But I'm not talking about not having the means or good enough razors. We DID have razors and depilatories in the 60's and 70's and early 80's, ya know, and before that, but it hadn't yet become fashionable to remove pubic hair.
I actually have a funny story of my mom walking in on me naked at like 17 and saying "OMG what happen to your pubic hair?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting