U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM

12,143 posts, read 5,959,887 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty laid-back parent, but this video made me feel very uncomfortable. Do one-year olds need manicures? Does an eleven year-old need a bikini wax? I am quite astounded that a parent would even go there honestly. Is the question raised in the video valid; is this good for a tween girls's self-esteem, or is it harmful in the long run? So many questions, but more than anything a giant head shake at this.

Girls Getting Bikini Waxes, Manicures, Blowouts As Tween Beauty Market Booms (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM

3,388 posts, read 1,777,396 times
Ok, this is going to make me sound all "When I was a girl, we walked uphill to school each way," but it makes me sad that there is societal pressure for kids to engage in adult behaviors at younger and younger ages. Granted, I'm not a big fan of the "beauty industry" in the first place, but 11 just seems young to me. Although my 8 year old niece has been into her appearance and boys for over a year now...wondering if by the time my infant daughter is 6 we'll have to be confronting these things. Sigh.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM

575 posts, read 190,394 times
What is there to wax and, NO!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM

5,729 posts, read 6,334,623 times
I'm not springing for salon services for my daughters, but if they want to remove hair at home or paint their nails, that's fine with me.

Last year my oldest was 8 and she decided she wanted to start removing some hair. I bought razors for her legs and underarms, and a little pair of blunt tipped scissors for elsewhere. I don't care if she uses them. If she feels it should be part of her personal hygiene routine, that's fine. I'd rather have a kid who cared a lot about taking care of herself than one that refuses to shower. For her, the hair removal has nothing to do with boys. She's never come home and said that the boys said she needs to shave her legs, just that the girls in her class were already shaving and she wanted to also.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM

5,729 posts, read 6,334,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
What is there to wax and, NO!
By the time I was 11, I had plenty to wax. Don't most girls get hair by that age?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM

16,998 posts, read 14,256,668 times
I say no. She can shave for a while. It is sad that little girls can't just be little girls anymore.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,632,880 times
What a racket.

Appeal to both the little girl's very natural insecurity and to Mom's desire to one-up the other women in the car pool and have the perfect little princess. Bikini wax at 11? Someone thought of another way to make money.

Stick that dough in a college fund.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM

16,998 posts, read 14,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
By the time I was 11, I had plenty to wax. Don't most girls get hair by that age?
enough to need to wax? No.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM

379 posts, read 307,342 times
I would say no 11 is too young to do any of this. I can see painting nails but I cannot see the waxing. Every child matures at a different age so does hair growth, however, what some children do not understand is once it is performed it needs to be maintained or could be painful-in grown hairs, etc. At age 1 I would not be having my babies nails done at a salon. I did do it at home but with jello since they put their hands in their mouth and you never know where the nail salons brushes have been or the hygeine of the previous client. Lets use our heads on this and do the best thing for our children, let them play they do not need to be sitting in a nail salon they need to be outside playing.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM

35,458 posts, read 43,093,122 times
I just wonder how folks have all the disposable income to start salon services this early. Seems that is money better spent on music lessons, lol.

As for waxing, that is something for adults. I would be worried about ingrown hairs on a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting