U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,143,325 times

Advertisements

I actually had someone "butcher" my son's name today. his name is Andrew... the guy said.... "A-N-D-R-U-E" *facepalm*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM

21,138 posts, read 18,957,053 times
LOL @ Andrue. I saw a Jeffwee once in movie credits. Like Jeffrey in baby talk.

When I was young, I loved the name Blanche. I first saw that name in one of the Little House books, and because I never heard it pronounced aloud I thought it was pronounced "Blahn-SHAY." I thought it was perfectly elegant and the most beautiful name I had ever seen (I think I was eight ). Later when I realized it's BLAANCH, always with the flat a, I was sad.

Is there a name you liked as a kid ... not so much now?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM

245 posts, read 230,830 times
My parents gave me a unisex name. My father's name is Michael, so his name and my name is like an on going pun.

Michael and his daughter Jordan. Michael Jordan....

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM

505 posts, read 540,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
LOL @ Andrue. I saw a Jeffwee once in movie credits. Like Jeffrey in baby talk.

When I was young, I loved the name Blanche. I first saw that name in one of the Little House books, and because I never heard it pronounced aloud I thought it was pronounced "Blahn-SHAY." I thought it was perfectly elegant and the most beautiful name I had ever seen (I think I was eight ). Later when I realized it's BLAANCH, always with the flat a, I was sad.

Is there a name you liked as a kid ... not so much now?
When I was little I named all of my dolls Linda. Not really sure what I was thinking.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 AM

25,477 posts, read 16,779,760 times
When I was little I thought names that ended in "ie" were awesome. My dolls were Jackie, Connie, etc.

25 years ago we named our daughter Sarah. I'd had my grandmothers name, Rachel, in mind for years and during my pregnancy I just got bored with it. My husband said "what do you think about the name Sarah?" in the car one day when I was about 8 months along and I just jumped on it because it was the first time he took an interest in naming the baby...Timing is everything! I would have named my second daughter Rachel but he was a boy.

I always liked the girls names Eden and Laurel but they didn't go well with our last name.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM

505 posts, read 540,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When I was little I thought names that ended in "ie" were awesome. My dolls were Jackie, Connie, etc.

25 years ago we named our daughter Sarah. I'd had my grandmothers name, Rachel, in mind for years and during my pregnancy I just got bored with it. My husband said "what do you think about the name Sarah?" in the car one day when I was about 8 months along and I just jumped on it because it was the first time he took an interest in naming the baby...Timing is everything! I would have named my second daughter Rachel but he was a boy.

I always liked the girls names Eden and Laurel but they didn't go well with our last name.
I'm glad you thought to think of the first and last name together. I swear I think that sometimes people forget to just say the name they pick out loud, or they are so obsessed with the middle name that they don't just say the first and last name together. Some names are just so hard to say or have other meanings. I know someone who named her son Parker and their last name starts with Car... I mean honestly...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM

870 posts, read 676,989 times
Someone in my family knows some whose childs name equates to 'Big Small'...really you were trying to be cute but just look like a jack-hole.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 AM

10,982 posts, read 9,472,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like the name Cornelius, although it does bring to mind Yukon Cornelius from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

I grew up with a guy named Neil who was really a Cornelius, and his sister Cory was Cornelia. Very common names among the Dutch at one time.
My Grandfather and great grandfather were "Cornelius" and one was Neal and the other Cor. GG was 1/2 Dutch. I don't think it is that odd of a name.

I also had a cousin named "Cordelia" - I think it's pretty. In college she went by "Cori" and later "Delia" - She is now Cordelia, at 59.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM

21,138 posts, read 18,957,053 times
Cordelia is a lovely name.

Name trivia!

It means "heart of a lion." Its the feminine form of Cordelion, the Anglicized coeur de lion. Richard the Lion-hearted was known as Richard Cordelion.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM

7,978 posts, read 8,025,147 times
Erik and Cecilia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting