U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you confront this Dad?
Yes, big time, you did the right thing. I'd have done the same. 3 2.94%
You're a real piece of work, like your antlers, you interfered with a Dad big time. 99 97.06%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM
 
754 posts, read 590,215 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I totally get that there is no way that AC can say that just because he saw the father give the kid bad food one time that it's a lifestyle for that kid. Maybe that kid was out for a 'treat' with his dad. Frankly, I would not have said anything to the guy or the kid myself -
You should have stopped right there because that's what the thread is about.

Care to change your vote? Because it contradicts this post.

 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,463 posts, read 21,157,961 times
Reputation: 32209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
So you have the ability to look at a person and know that YOU are paying for THEIR healthcare and that therefore gives you the right to lecture them about their choices? Interesting. I've never heard of such a psychic ability...or maybe THEIR doctor bills are mailed to you?
So shortsighted. We are all paying for each other's mistakes. We are an integrated society. No one stands alone. And whether it's higher premiums or taxes or whatever, it's getting worse.

You can put your head in the sand about the problem we have with food in this country...that will make everything better, I'm sure.
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
20,610 posts, read 17,195,319 times
Reputation: 28740
We do pay for one another's healthcare, in the form of insurance premiums, Medicaid, Medicare, etc. Insurance premiums are based on the overall risk of a group. One reason healthcare costs are through the roof is because we, as a nation, are becoming more and more unhealthy. It costs more to treat us, so the insurance companies raise their rates to cover the expenditures. (Yes, I know there are other factors at work too.)

I wholeheartedly agree with Stan (who is a doctor, by the way) on that point. We DO pay for other people's healthcare.
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,463 posts, read 21,157,961 times
Reputation: 32209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
You should have stopped right there because that's what the thread is about.

Care to change your vote? Because it contradicts this post.
There was no choice for, "I might have done it, I might not have, but I can understand why you did."

And nowhere does it say that these conversations have to be rude or confrontational. Can we not have honest, concerned discussions in this society anymore?

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: fixed html tag
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 AM
 
1,933 posts, read 1,645,422 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There was no choice for, "I might have done it, I might not have, but I can understand why you did."

And nowhere does it say that these conversations have to be rude or confrontational. Can we not have honest, concerned discussions in this society anymore?
Sorry but the world is not like that anymore. Things have changed Stan and in my opinion to confront a father who is out with their child having dinner over the child's food option is looking for trouble.

My husband would never ever approach another father and question him on his choice of meal for their child. Its called etiquette, courtesy and just plain darn common sense.

Who are you to judge this man or AC for that matter? Do you pay his bills, sleep with his wife, take care of his child? No. So in that case mind your own beeswax.

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: fixed html tag
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,463 posts, read 21,157,961 times
Reputation: 32209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Sorry but the world is not like that anymore. Things have changed Stan and in my opinion to confront a father who is out with their child having dinner over the child's food option is looking for trouble.

My husband would never ever approach another father and question him on his choice of meal for their child. Its called etiquette, courtesy and just plain darn common sense.

Who are you to judge this man or AC for that matter? Do you pay his bills, sleep with his wife, take care of his child? No. So in that case mind your own beeswax.
Sure. I understand. Because of the strangely defensive and shameless society we've become, calling people out on inappropriate behavior is now considered inappropriate behavior. I am fully aware of that. We bite our tongues as people push, shove, cut, behave like boors...because if we say anything, then WE'RE rude. I know what we have descended into.

"Mind your own business! Stay out of my life! Get away from me! Who are you to say anything!!??? Oh, can I have some money?"
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
 
754 posts, read 590,215 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We do pay for one another's healthcare, in the form of insurance premiums, Medicaid, Medicare, etc. Insurance premiums are based on the overall risk of a group. One reason healthcare costs are through the roof is because we, as a nation, are becoming more and more unhealthy. It costs more to treat us, so the insurance companies raise their rates to cover the expenditures. (Yes, I know there are other factors at work too.)

I wholeheartedly agree with Stan (who is a doctor, by the way) on that point. We DO pay for other people's healthcare.
And other people's car insurance and home insurance.

To tell someone, you don't know, what they should or not feed their child is rude to say the least.

I'm sure those who say it's ok to say something to this kid's father have never broken a speed limit or pushed the limits on the number of extension cords they have plugged in either.

Unless that person is doing direct harm to me or my family, or they are a good friend/family member themselves (and even that has limits) I have no right to judge or tell anyone anything. I can shake my head in disgust, I can talk to myself or vent to my wife (which I have done numerous times). But saying something to the other person is out of line.

Last edited by dbbd; 12-13-2011 at 09:52 AM..
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
20,610 posts, read 17,195,319 times
Reputation: 28740
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sure. I understand. Because of the strangely defensive and shameless society we've become, calling people out on inappropriate behavior is now considered inappropriate behavior. I am fully aware of that. We bite our tongues as people push, shove, cut, behave like boors...because if we say anything, then WE'RE rude. I know what we have descended into.

"Mind your own business! Stay out of my life! Get away from me! Who are you to say anything!!??? Oh, can I have some money?"
It's never been mannerly to make personal comments or criticisms to strangers, though, Stan--at least not in this culture. That hasn't changed. You will not find anything from Miss Manners or the Post family to tell you that it's OK to do that. It has always been rude.
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
9,208 posts, read 3,973,455 times
Reputation: 7901
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sure. I understand. Because of the strangely defensive and shameless society we've become, calling people out on inappropriate behavior is now considered inappropriate behavior. I am fully aware of that. We bite our tongues as people push, shove, cut, behave like boors...because if we say anything, then WE'RE rude. I know what we have descended into.

"Mind your own business! Stay out of my life! Get away from me! Who are you to say anything!!??? Oh, can I have some money?"
A bit of overkill, eh? Considering we are talking about one serving of french fries? That's all we really know about what transpired. Those are the facts; a single serving of french fries set the OP off.

Puhlease.

The OP was wrong; he asked ~ we answered ~ and dancing around about heroin or what we have 'descended into' will not make it right.
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
4,787 posts, read 4,450,943 times
Reputation: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Daddy brings in his cute 7 to 10 year old son to the diner. They take the seat next to the one and only Antlered Chamataka with his wild mouth, at the counter, in his favourite diner, as he sips coffee attended upon by an army of senoritas

The boy plays with toys and the three of us get into a conversation about how I ruined my Dad's favourite music by pulling out the tapes of his favourite casettes and diskettes.

Senorita brings three plates:
1. Two grilled chicken breast patties, and egg whites with raw sliced tomatoes.
2. A loaded hot dog like bratwurst or sausage rolled in all kinds of cheese and wrapped in bread, with french fries and soda.
3. Chicken fingers and a load of french fries, all fried just seconds ago and oil shining at the surface.

Of the three, you probably guessed which individual took which plate

I confronted the Dad about his choice of meal for his kid. Of course, I did it like inserting needle into a banana nice and slow, yet he was somewhat unhappy with my lecture.

Question is:
Would you confront an irresponsible Daddy like that one?

Not only was the kid going after the fried fingers, he was really having a plate loaded with thick french fries, and he was having a happy meal.

When I was a kid, my mom gave me portion meals. No more than three or four chicken pieces. And when it came to french fries, she will place only 4 or 5 strings on our plates. My Dad was worse, he would make us sit beside him and eat every vegetable from cauliflower to cabbages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top