U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM

42,391 posts, read 47,526,931 times
I understand your frustration. I do. I'm not surprised the police and school already knew about it. Since you're talking heavier drugs, you have to realize that investigations don't happen overnight. Drug investitations take almost 2 years to complete. Those teenagers aren't the problem. The police want the mains suppliers. And while it's stressful to know that your kids attend school with these kids, it's for the greater good of your school and community that the police complete a full investigation. Around here, the drug raids are organized, county wide, with up to 50 arrests at a time. That's the way it's done. Just because you don't see immediate action, doesn't mean nothing is being done about it. It's best to focus your attention on ensuring your kids make smart decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM

13,569 posts, read 16,411,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I understand your frustration. I do. I'm not surprised the police and school already knew about it. Since you're talking heavier drugs, you have to realize that investigations don't happen overnight. Drug investitations take almost 2 years to complete. Those teenagers aren't the problem. The police want the mains suppliers. And while it's stressful to know that your kids attend school with these kids, it's for the greater good of your school that the police conduct a full investigation. Around here, the drug raids are organized, county wide with up to 50 arrests at a time. That's the way it's done. Just because you don't see action, doesn't mean nothing is being done about it. Just focus on ensuring your kids make smart decisions.
Exactly, it's not about these kids, it's about the people these kids are getting the drugs from. If the kids are smart (and most are) they never have more on their person than what would most likely amount to a minor offense anyway. What the police want to do is watch their pattern and hit them after they make a buy which will nab them not only the kids dealing to the kids at school (who they honestly don't really care about), but also nab their supplier who is most likely the one connected to a larger group.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:42 PM

575 posts, read 164,636 times
My son was working with the police for a short while trying to help them bust this one kid. There was talk about giving him $500 to make a buy, pretend to get arrested so his motives wouldn't be known and then get the guy, but it didn't go that far for some reason. It is frustrating because of the type of drug being sold. I noticed one the this kid's friends who has publicly talked about acid on FB was pulled out of this school and will be moving away. I also noticed that the seller says he went to this high school on FB so maybe he was kicked out or suspended but he still lives in the area and actively selling. These kids are so stupid because they publicily talk about their drugs and selling on their FB page!!!! How much for how much....using terms like "Lucy is back in town"...the kid in question has a picture of a Get Out of Jail For Free card from Monopoly as his profile picture. So blatant and foolish.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,003,764 times
I'm with you, I would tell the parents. That is what I would want someone to do, so that is what I would do. After telling the school and cops thought, I don't know what else there is to do.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
My son was working with the police for a short while trying to help them bust this one kid. There was talk about giving him $500 to make a buy, pretend to get arrested so his motives wouldn't be known and then get the guy, but it didn't go that far for some reason. It is frustrating because of the type of drug being sold. I noticed one the this kid's friends who has publicly talked about acid on FB was pulled out of this school and will be moving away. I also noticed that the seller says he went to this high school on FB so maybe he was kicked out or suspended but he still lives in the area and actively selling. These kids are so stupid because they publicily talk about their drugs and selling on their FB page!!!! How much for how much....using terms like "Lucy is back in town"...the kid in question has a picture of a Get Out of Jail For Free card from Monopoly as his profile picture. So blatant and foolish.
How old is your son? Assuming he is in high school, sorry, but there is no way I'm letting the police use my minor child as a narc to facilitate a bust.

Honestly, it sounds that while your concerns are all in the right places, I think you have done as much as you reasonably can to help the police out. Assuming this isn't impacting you and yours directly, it might be far more prudent at this juncture to back off. I think that goes double because the initial implication was that this was another kid in high school, but now it's obvious that he isn't just a kid in high school, he's a bonafide dealer. Not necessarily the people you want to get involved too deeply in busting. Drop a dime, give the information and leave it at that. Waging your own personal crusade is only going to end up bad.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:52 PM

575 posts, read 164,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
How old is your son? Assuming he is in high school, sorry, but there is no way I'm letting the police use my minor child as a narc to facilitate a bust.

Honestly, it sounds that while your concerns are all in the right places, I think you have done as much as you reasonably can to help the police out. Assuming this isn't impacting you and yours directly, it might be far more prudent at this juncture to back off. I think that goes double because the initial implication was that this was another kid in high school, but now it's obvious that he isn't just a kid in high school, he's a bonafide dealer. Not necessarily the people you want to get involved too deeply in busting. Drop a dime, give the information and leave it at that. Waging your own personal crusade is only going to end up bad.
He is over 18 and he wanted to do this on his own. I am doing this anonymously as not to impact my son in any way.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:56 PM

I would never support my child being an undercover narc. No way. No how. Do you not know how dangerous that can be? Trust me, they would suspect your son, especially if it is his first time buying from them. Heck, they suspect everyone, even each other. Drug dealers are a very paranoid group. And sometimes the police are involved themselves. Your son would not be protected. I wouldn't even allow the police to have such a conversation with my child.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM

21,543 posts, read 12,125,807 times
Quote:
My son was working with the police for a short while trying to help them bust this one kid.
How did the police come to choose your son for this?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
He is over 18 and he wanted to do this on his own. I am doing this anonymously as not to impact my son in any way.
How are you ensuring that you are annonymous?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
OK, little different, but I still wouldn't let my kid do that. I understand your frustration, but you do walk a fine line in terms of involvement and exposure on these situations. Given that the police and school are already aware of what's going on this may be something that you just need to let run its course.

I live in a fairly rural area as well with virtually zero crime, but drug use is a pretty common issue, especially among teens. The area where I live is basically the only point of middle class civilization in about a 15 mile radius. A lot of people get drawn to the area to shop and work and this also one of the few places you can get a bus to get to other areas.

Residents on one block became very suspicious of a house that had a lot of traffic going to and from it as well as a large amount of teens that seemed to be coming and going. The police were notified and they sat on the tip for three months doing extensive surveillance. What they eventually discovered is that the suppliers were taking the bus from other areas (much lower risk of getting caught) and then going to the house that was serving as a distribution point. They waited until all the right people were at the house, launched a raid and busted everyone involved with a large enough amount in their possession to actually put them away.

If the police are aware and assuming you don't have Barney Fife running the department, they are most likely sitting on it and building a case so that they can use the information to the greatest effect. Again, just busting this kid randomly won't really stop anything and he would most likely be out again very quickly on a minor charge. It's all about making the bigger bust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting