U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,282,777 times

Advertisements

I'll bet these people telling him to "man up and move out" haven't an inkling what the cost of housing is in the northeast or even in this day and age.

I truly think that appreciation is something that is learned, people aren't just born with it. It builds slowly with the trial and error of life. Any parent who expects their kid to appreciate freebies is likely on a road going nowhere. People only appreciate what they have to work for. That's not to say that people shouldn't help their kids, but I guess there's a limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I live with my father, stepmother, their 4 year old daughter (my sister). We live in a big house but they're so loud and obnoxous and I live here to spend time with them before I move far away and save enough to outright buy a house. I'm sure its normal because of my age and I'm male and my interests are very different than theirs. But I guess I'm making this topic because I overwhelmly just don't feel good around them. I feel a negative energy which is uncomfortable.

Maybe I want to hear that it's normal and the reason why it's ok to feel this way. I should mention that I sometimes hate my stepmother with a passion, though I don't show it. I think she influences my father to much and because of her they're both lazy chai drinking gassers who try to get on my good side with offering to buy me nice electronics, which I have no desire for. We lived together for years since I was a boy and I've came and gone a few times and lived by myself working etc.

But boy now I just want to get far away from them and have some peace to focus on things that I want to do without them sucking my energy. They're also at the age now when they need me more than I need them but they push their lifestyle on me and try to bribe me with material things but I still want to get away from them. Is that bad? Anyone experience this themself?
I know the feeling; I lived at home for a time after being on my own (even in a different state) so I know how much it stinks to be belly-flopped back into the old hometown and house. For your sanity, you really should move out. I fear if you don't plan toward this urgently, it will eat you up inside and end up making you do something or say something you'll regret.

You never know; the plans you think will go easier if you stay at your parents might actually go easier on your own. I've been able to actually save money for the first time in awhile, living in an apartment rather than paying half the bills in a friggin' house.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,137,547 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right, in fact I didn't even enroll in some pricy university because I didn't want to waste thier money. I ended up not even going to college because I don't want the debt.

I'm actually mad at this baby-boomer generation for all the mess they've left us with the economy and their bad habits. They owe it to us to respect our freedom and support our ambitions. I can't even come home at midnight from work without having to disalarm the emergency system and having it nearly go and they go to bed like an hour before I come.
Please dear Lord Baby Jesus hear my prayers let me hold my tongue from saying something that will get me banned.

Support you and your ambitions???????????? Blaming the Baby Boomer Generation???????

Just stop right there because I am sure a Boomer will be coming right along to give you the *******ing you deserve.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,249,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Dude, find a support group. Your bellyaching won't go far on a board full of tax paying adults.
Tax paying adults my ass. Most parents on here probably have issues with their young or teen children and it's not because u pay your taxes. lol

Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Please dear Lord Baby Jesus hear my prayers let me hold my tongue from saying something that will get me banned.

Support you and your ambitions???????????? Blaming the Baby Boomer Generation???????

Just stop right there because I am sure a Boomer will be coming right along to give you the *******ing you deserve.
These boomers who have messed up our society will be begging their son and daughter to support them when they have no SSI. But guess what? We're gonna be calling the shots.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:27 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
Quote:
These boomers who have messed up our society will be begging their son and daughter to support them when they have no SSI. But guess what? We're gonna be calling the shots.
Hahahahahahaha! Says the person who cannot afford to live on his own at 25! Oh, the irony!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'll bet these people telling him to "man up and move out" haven't an inkling what the cost of housing is in the northeast or even in this day and age.
Sorry Osito I do know how much it costs to rent and live in New York City. I know the cost of housing, food (purchased from Fairway, Stop N Shop, Pathmark and Shop Rite), health care and the increasing fares of the MTA. It is not that hard, truly really it isn't. He may be from Jersey but if he took a look and asked questions on both the New Jersey and New York forum he may be able to find a place to rent.

Like I said I paid $525 to rent a room in NYC and that was a room in a loft in 2003. Utilities included.

I rented in Brooklyn in 2008-2009, one bedroom legal basement apartment in Brooklyn $1200. Utilities included.

Seek and you shall find.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:30 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,995,988 times
That's why God made roommates, MrsX!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

I truly think that appreciation is something that is learned, people aren't just born with it. It builds slowly with the trial and error of life. Any parent who expects their kid to appreciate freebies is likely on a road going nowhere. People only appreciate what they have to work for. That's not to say that people shouldn't help their kids, but I guess there's a limit.

I know the feeling; I lived at home for a time after being on my own (even in a different state) so I know how much it stinks to be belly-flopped back into the old hometown and house. For your sanity, you really should move out. I fear if you don't plan toward this urgently, it will eat you up inside and end up making you do something or say something you'll regret.

You never know; the plans you think will go easier if you stay at your parents might actually go easier on your own. I've been able to actually save money for the first time in awhile, living in an apartment rather than paying half the bills in a friggin' house.
Thanks and I feel good to hear your suggesting about plans may go easier if I just get out now.

I think its funny when people say "i got my house at age 21" yeah I knew a kid who bough a house working at Bojangles in 2006, but guess what, it got foreclosed because he didn't actually BUY it, he got a loan. And yes in the northeast or anywhere outside the sticks cost lots and lots of money. People can't just move out. But they can live at home as long as necessary to save and get ahead, instead of living paycheck to paycheck.

lol, my girlfriend lives at home, she's 24 and doesn't pay squat, not even food or college (financial aid) she doesn't have a car neither (though she can afford one). And she yells at her mom on top of it. I tell her not to yell at her mother but atleast she's saving. Someday she will have to take care of her mom and she knows that. So leeching can be a good thing. Though I never did it.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
No they haven't. You are blaming a whole generation for the mess we are in.

And as much as I may have beef with my parents I would never ever let them be subjected to the disrespect you have given your parents. I would never ever let my parents beg me to support them.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Sorry Osito I do know how much it costs to rent and live in New York City. I know the cost of housing, food (purchased from Fairway, Stop N Shop, Pathmark and Shop Rite), health care and the increasing fares of the MTA. It is not that hard, truly really it isn't. He may be from Jersey but if he took a look and asked questions on both the New Jersey and New York forum he may be able to find a place to rent.

Like I said I paid $525 to rent a room in NYC and that was a room in a loft in 2003. Utilities included.

I rented in Brooklyn in 2008-2009, one bedroom legal basement apartment in Brooklyn $1200. Utilities included.

Seek and you shall find.
I rented 5 places before by myself, 4 of them apartments so I know how to get a deal, but that's not the live I want to live. I paid from 400 to 1200 per month. But, I legit want to start a family by the time I'm 30, and not in an apartment like I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or