U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,560,173 times

Advertisements

So basically you are looking at your parents as a means to an end. You've decided the most important thing is to be able to buy a house ASAP, and that living with people you dislike for now is the only way to do it. And it makes you angry that you have to do something you don't want to in order to acheive your goal. Sorry, but that's how life often works. Two very imperfect choices.
And I'll be interested to see how your attitude about parenting changes after you start that family that's so important to you.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,249,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And it's also true that some people think their parents and siblings are really difficult to live with UNTIL they get some bad roommates. Or they get a place alone and find out they miss the noise and companionship of their family.
I don't understand people who share an apartment with 3 other adults just to afford that life. I will never have a roommate and never had. I wouldn't even dorm because the thought of smelling my roommates dirty socks. It's just not something u do unless you live in manhattan or europe where they work their butt off and live in boxes. A real man has his own. I want to be that real man.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Then why did you complain that your step mom doesn't cook every night?

No, my kids are young. I come at this from a perspective of someone who was once in my mid-twenties. I got married at 25 and bought a house the same year. Home loans are not evil. We have well over $100K equity now, and neither of us had to move back in with our parents to save up.

My parents and millions of others are baby boomers who lost their a$$es in this mess. It is very ignorant of you to blame everyone their age.

Either move out or quit complaining. I'm not sure what you want to hear from us. It's not like you don't have a choice.
Her cooking or lack of is just an example of what kind of household she runs. 100 equity is good, but try getting that same loan now and hopefully u never want to sell that home without losing money.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
And you put down "American values" and at the same time say you have no intention of taking care of your parents in the future. You don't even make any sense.
If anything I'm a living example of an american value but I'm not trying to get politically accurate here.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
So basically you are looking at your parents as a means to an end. You've decided the most important thing is to be able to buy a house ASAP, and that living with people you dislike for now is the only way to do it. And it makes you angry that you have to do something you don't want to in order to acheive your goal. Sorry, but that's how life often works. Two very imperfect choices.
And I'll be interested to see how your attitude about parenting changes after you start that family that's so important to you.
My parenting will be different. Whatever they want to do with their life no matter how funny it sounds I will help them pull it off and help them again until they find what they like. They'll learn valuable skills at an early age so they can manage money, I will have money to loan them so they don't have to go to a bank or use credit and if they want they will move out at age 15 and they will always be welcomed home and the family will stay intact and if they left, I will support that to. They will have this without being spoiled because they will inherit my qualities.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,560,173 times
I was a perfect parent before I had a kid too!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,692,098 times
It's generally not productive to live with your parents after 18.

But your parents can come live in "your" place any time they want.

That should be the motto of every man.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,282,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Sorry Osito I do know how much it costs to rent and live in New York City. I know the cost of housing, food (purchased from Fairway, Stop N Shop, Pathmark and Shop Rite), health care and the increasing fares of the MTA. It is not that hard, truly really it isn't. He may be from Jersey but if he took a look and asked questions on both the New Jersey and New York forum he may be able to find a place to rent.

Like I said I paid $525 to rent a room in NYC and that was a room in a loft in 2003. Utilities included.

I rented in Brooklyn in 2008-2009, one bedroom legal basement apartment in Brooklyn $1200. Utilities included.

Seek and you shall find.
OK. I thought about going to school in NYC once and I was looking at the cost of living out there and the prices of apartments that I came across made me decide to stay in the wild west.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
Excuse me OP while I interject a little reality into your whining:

My Boomer husband and two of my Boomer brothers were combat veterans (Vietnam) BEFORE they were 25. They were living in a hootch when they were younger than you are now, digging leeches out of their bodies, trying not to get shot, fighting jungle rot and hoping that they'd live to go back to the world where they EXPECTED to support themselves. . And each, I'm proud to say, were grown *** men BEFORE they were 25 who wouldn't THINK of whining and complaing the way you are.

Aren't you even a little bit embarassed? Cheese on a Ritz cracker I can't believe your juvenile attitude. Quit blaming everyone else and pull up your Jockey shorts and be a man.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's generally not productive to live with your parents after 18.

But your parents can come live in "your" place any time they want.

That should be the motto of every man.
If only a man now-days made a living by age 18 to have his own place. If he does I doubt it's a place his parents want to stay but that's what I'm doing. I'm getting a home in a place they hate and will never stay, and if they ever need to, then I'll know its genuine, unlike how I am living with them. My situation is different because I have 3 parents, the 2 females hate eachother and I hate one of the females. But in my mom's words to my grandma "you created these monsters".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or