Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
As a real estate agent you probably pushed the expensive homes. If I get a home now, I can have it nice in a year, unlike waiting another year to save more and buy a "problem free" house. I paid enough rent in my life.
Sorry but noooooooo. Every good real estate agent knows the houses that sell the fastest are the ones that investors have money to do up and I am not talking about $30k in the bank. On a $30k home cash in hand you will still need at least $70K or more just to make it habitable. And when you get a home now and have it nice in a year, you will still need a place to stay while renovations are underway. Plus you will be working with general contractors and suppliers who most likely will delay your project in the long run. And you will still have problems there after. There is no such thing as a problem free home. I bought brand spanking new and I have had a few glitches here and there. Again you are being unrealistic and I am sure you will quickly get into debt (something you have been trying to avoid) when you start calculating all the costs on repairing a fixer upper. It is not for the faint of heart.

Now I am sure you will come back to me and tell me you have friends of friends who will help you out on the cheap. Then later a thread will pop up in the housing forum how you hate your friends who are doing this for little to no costs because they spit snot on the drywall as they were taping.

Again a real estate issue and not parenting.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
So what problem are we trying to solve here? Do you need help in coping with living there, feeling unappreciated, wanting to leave but feeling guilty...?
This is the crux of it. If you want to vent about your parents, then OK, but this thread is all over the place and it's too long to move at this point. What are you trying to accomplish with this thread? Let's get it back on track.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You don't know anything about me, my debt, or why I've moved My only debt is my mortgage, and I'd way rather have that than be living with my parents whom I can't stand It is obvious you have a lot to learn about many aspects of being a responsible adult. You would get a much more positive response if you came here with a little humility asking for real advice. Instead you come making assumptions, making sweeping generalizations, and acting like a know-it-all teenager. My biggest hope for you is that your GF figures you out before marrying you.
You have different values that suit you, but that doesn't make you more responsible. I didn't get any advise I was seeking except in the first few pages before this turned into a defensive topic. When u think u know it all about me and my history and try to tell a grown man how to live, you're gonna get sweeping generalizations right back at u. And u know nothing about my g/f, she supports my decisions, wifey material.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This is the crux of it. If you want to vent about your parents, then OK, but this thread is all over the place and it's too long to move at this point. What are you trying to accomplish with this thread? Let's get it back on track.
Close it whenever u want after people get their last punches in. I'm out

Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Nothing further? OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.