U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,655,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm an old fuddy-duddyette who can't understand why parents don't protect their children. The scenario I see is the 8-year old, who is just building self-esteem, going to school and the other kids are saying, "Nah, nah, nah, nah. I saw your first poop on the internet!!" Followed by the closely-related, "And my mommie posted that you looked stupid so now the whole world knows how stupid you are."

Unless we're circling the drain so fast that someday it's expected that you put your child's first poop on the internet.
lol, how true. Especially with the rise of smart phones and their market penetration. Now you can not only tease someone about it, but with a couple swipes of your fingers you can call up the video from the depths of the internet and show it to all who want to see in blistering, crystal clear HD.

Once it's on the net, it doesn't go away and for as tech savvy as people seem to be, they don't seem to grasp that concept. I can still pull up pictures that were posted to the internet when I was on a high school trip to Europe in 1997, yep they're still there. That means when the girl in this video is 22 or so, people can still pull it up and see her dancing away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,589,854 times
My views have changed drastically. There's a bigger purpose for everything that happens, no matter how it goes down at the time, and I think that other thread happened to teach us all a little something.

JustJulia made amazing points in her final post in that thread. Definitely don't want to rehash it!! But the bit about how some opinions were never intended as insults but were obviously viewed as such. I admit, I sort of viewed them that way too. But now I don't. So thanks for that.

Unless a mother is trying to nurture a child's God-given talent, and they WANT to be out there, I don't think it's necessary. Let's say a child is born with an amazing singing voice. YouTube, in this day and age, is a great way to promote that talent.

There are ways to control YouTube. When you upload a video, you have an option you can choose where the video cannot be viewed on mobile devices. There is also an option where the video cannot legally be shown on television. YouTube account holders know this stuff, even if they say they don't. You can also disable comments, private messages, and ratings. The whole nine yards. If I wanted to promote a child who was a singing prodigy on YouTube, for example, I would probably take advantage of every one of those options, but I would set up an e-mail for business inquiries.... if that were my true motive and not simply to show off with my kid.

I do have a couple kid vids on YouTube. Family members when they were young children. (So adorable. ) I have these options enabled: Cannot be shown on TV or mobile devices, ratings off, I have to review comments before they are posted. Only a couple hundred have seen the vids. I've gotten maybe four comments in four years, all good. *shrug* And if I didn't like the comments, or decided they were getting ugly, I could disable them altogether. They are enabled for embedding though. So if someone feasably wanted to post it at a forum and talk about how ugly they are or something, I suppose they could, if that turns their crank... lol. (?)

I think in controlled cases and for good reason it's fine. I honestly don't believe loneliness or seeking friendship is a good enough reason. If you're doing it for yourself, okay. But that child has no say. We're just seeing them run around half-naked, without their consent.. among worse things.

There's an adorable vid of two cousins of mine as very small children. One was three, the other just a few months old. The four-month-old was having her first jello. So freakin' cute. But unfortunately the older of the two was running around in a t-shirt and underwear. I didn't post it for that reason. I just wasn't comfortable, with all the perverts out there, even though she's grown now.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,761,538 times
Some people should not be allowed to breed

Government needs to regulate Facebook, YouTube and the like ASAP. Like charge people to have a profile and even moderate it. Immense job generator. Might as well invest here, rather than handing out coupons, food stamps and UE.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,077,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
lol, how true. Especially with the rise of smart phones and their market penetration. Now you can not only tease someone about it, but with a couple swipes of your fingers you can call up the video from the depths of the internet and show it to all who want to see in blistering, crystal clear HD.

Once it's on the net, it doesn't go away and for as tech savvy as people seem to be, they don't seem to grasp that concept. I can still pull up pictures that were posted to the internet when I was on a high school trip to Europe in 1997, yep they're still there. That means when the girl in this video is 22 or so, people can still pull it up and see her dancing away.
This.

It's exactly why I have problems with parents who post/give away private information about their kids, whether it be through Facebook, a TV show (Duggars, Gosselins, Toddlers and Tiaras, etc. come to mind), a message board, etc. I'm 99% sure in 20 years that these kids won't want embarrassing videos or pictures to be shown... that are only available because their idiotic parents thought it was "cute", or a good idea to post them at the time.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,975,804 times
My dd dances, and I've seen a lot of videos and dances like this. One that comes to mind is the 6 or 7 year olds dancing to "Single Ladies." That one got a LOT of criticism, and while it was a good dance and amazing dancers, it definitely was not appropriate for kids that young. Being somewhat old school, it does make me cringe, as I do NOT want my dd exposed or exploited in any way. I do not allow provocative music or two piece outfits. Luckily, her teacher is old school as well, so I don't have to worry about that right now.

As far as music, I grew up listening to anything I wanted to even at a very young age. Then, music was much more subtle, and the message was more hidden. When I was a kid, I thought the song "Little Red Corvette" was just about a car, and "Mary Jane" was a about a girl. Now, nothing is hidden. Songs are far more explicit, and there are things I don't listen to or play around my dd. She asks too many questions as it is.

I think it's pretty naive (or downright stupid) to post a video on YouTube for all the world to see, then expect to only get praise and admiration. Anybody who knows the slightest thing about the internet is that people can be nasty, cruel, and mean in a way that they would never dare to be in person. I would never, ever expose my own child to that kind of cruelty and hatefulness. Any parent that chooses to should be well aware that they are going to get criticized, judged, ridiculed, taunted, maybe even harassed. As a previous post mentioned, there are ways to protect your video on YouTube from just anybody. Comments can be disabled, the video can be protected to where only you can provide the link to it, so those people that were on here crying about the comments their friend's video got were being ridiculous imho. Their friend made the conscious decision to expose herself and her family to the entire world. Why get mad that everybody isn't tripping over themselves to tell her how great she is? Did they really think that NOBODY on the entire world wide web would have anything harsh to say? If the lady didn't want anything but praise and worship, she should have posted that on her private FB page where only the people who know and care about her would comment. Plain and simple, if you don't want criticism and harsh comments, or even worse, then don't deliberately expose yourself and your children to it.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 PM

12,944 posts, read 19,890,461 times
I honestly don't understand parents putting their children on the internet, for any reason. I've gotten a chuckle or two from some videos (Charley bit my finger comes to mind), but the vast majority of them do not fall under the heading of "cute", but rather exploitive.

In most cases they appear to be to feed the parents' egos and no other purpose. Home movies gone wild.

Why are children being taught that what they enjoy doing is worthy of world-wide attention?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,829,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I honestly don't understand parents putting their children on the internet, for any reason. I've gotten a chuckle or two from some videos (Charley bit my finger comes to mind), but the vast majority of them do not fall under the heading of "cute", but rather exploitive.

In most cases they appear to be to feed the parents' egos and no other purpose. Home movies gone wild.

Why are children being taught that what they enjoy doing is worthy of world-wide attention?

Good points Mattie. Why? because the world is so much smaller now due to media. And because some parents have no problem whatsoever exploiting their children for fame and money. and because right now fame and money seem to be the most desired future for people. Sick sick sick

Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,174,001 times
Just wondering if these parents have even considered the possibility that one day some of these kids might want to apply for a job that requires a security clearance. Could be a real problem for them.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,452,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Just wondering if these parents have even considered the possibility that one day some of these kids might want to apply for a job that requires a security clearance. Could be a real problem for them.
Excellent point.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,589,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

And then sometimes they get attention which doesn't feed their ego. It's okay to get as detailed in your opinions and assumptions as you want... if you're kissing their rear ends.

My friend and I had a long talk the other day. This topic and forum was part of it. Because she has a one-year-old. Her basic overall remarks were: "Every aspect of her life is important to me, safety included. So I don't get them doing that." And "where do they find the time?" She posts a lot of her child on Facebook, 30 second cell phone vids and such. But she said she definitely has no time to PLAN videos, like some of the mom vloggers do.

But also said she wouldn't understand the thrill of strangers looking at her daughter. And actually... I never really looked at it from my end of life before, because I've never discussed this with a real life friend before. And it seems even weirder now. I only have a handful of friends (isn't that all you need??) The ones who have kids... if they revealed to me they had a long-time extensive community on YouTube, and "relationships" with all these strangers, I'd be kind of be like, "Hey what's that about? Aren't we (friends) enough?" Up until very recently I never imagined a friend doing that. But now it seems strange.

The past few days have left me puzzled and feeling "Hmm, maybe I have done something really wrong." (Although at a gut level I didn't feel that way at all.)

The whole topic's really really opened my eyes. I finally realized that with many of us, there's a very distinct line. Forums, internet, what we discuss... it's something to pass the time, like reading or watching TV. It's similar to TV in how we don't know those families, but we'll comment anyway, and feel free to do so. I certainly felt free to do so. And the line is mutually understood... or so I thought. They present something to the public, we have a right to say how we feel about it as the public audience. We're commenting candidly on what we see and feel. What's presented to us, and we have a right to do that. That's how I always viewed it. I have no intention of meeting any of those people. I wouldn't honestly have any interest.

It's finally dawning on me that with those people, who feel free to do that, and furthermore the distinct few who don't believe the public is entitled to post anything critical... that line is just not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or