U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,400,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
[/b]

Good points Mattie. Why? because the world is so much smaller now due to media. And because some parents have no problem whatsoever exploiting their children for fame and money. and because right now fame and money seem to be the most desired future for people. Sick sick sick
Competetion.
Getting "noticed".

If I was good at something like singing or dancing I would be plastering myself and my talent all over facebook and youtube and I would trying to get myself out there.

I would want to get recognition, make money, be famous for it etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Competetion.
Getting "noticed".

If I was good at something like singing or dancing I would be plastering myself and my talent all over facebook and youtube and I would trying to get myself out there.

I would want to get recognition, make money, be famous for it etc.
That's fine if you're an adult making the decision to post yourself singing, dancing, etc. You might get a lot of compliments, maybe even the recognition you want. But you're also going to get a lot of comments you don't want, like, "You suck, you're ugly, you can't sing, you have two left feet, and you should tie a weight around your neck and jump in the lake." If you're old enough and mature enough not to let comments like that bother you, and accept that not everyone is going to like you, then go for it. But as a mother, I would never want to see anyone making comments like that about my child, I would not expose or exploit her in a way that may come back to hurt her, and I wouldn't want strangers on the internet watching her private life. It seems like these days, parents will go to any extreme to get their child "noticed." If you think your kid has talent, what happened to reputable talent agencies? Plastering a child all over the internet hardly seems the best or safest route to go.

Come to think of it, most of the kids who get noticed on YouTube only get 15 minutes of fame, and that's it. Like that little girl singing Super Bass. Cute, got a lot of attention for a little while, but I doubt anybody is tripping over themselves to give her a record deal. Hardly seems worth it.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,400,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
That's fine if you're an adult making the decision to post yourself singing, dancing, etc. You might get a lot of compliments, maybe even the recognition you want. But you're also going to get a lot of comments you don't want, like, "You suck, you're ugly, you can't sing, you have two left feet, and you should tie a weight around your neck and jump in the lake." If you're old enough and mature enough not to let comments like that bother you, and accept that not everyone is going to like you, then go for it. But as a mother, I would never want to see anyone making comments like that about my child, I would not expose or exploit her in a way that may come back to hurt her, and I wouldn't want strangers on the internet watching her private life. It seems like these days, parents will go to any extreme to get their child "noticed." If you think your kid has talent, what happened to reputable talent agencies? Plastering a child all over the internet hardly seems the best or safest route to go.

Come to think of it, most of the kids who get noticed on YouTube only get 15 minutes of fame, and that's it. Like that little girl singing Super Bass. Cute, got a lot of attention for a little while, but I doubt anybody is tripping over themselves to give her a record deal. Hardly seems worth it.

She's too young to get a record deal. Lol.
But uh what's his name...greyson chance. He found his fame on youtube but look at him now, he's doing pretty well.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
She's too young to get a record deal. Lol.
But uh what's his name...greyson chance. He found his fame on youtube but look at him now, he's doing pretty well.
I never heard of him until I googled him just now. Ok, I'm a little...dated.

But how often does that happen? Most of the kids on YouTube aren't going to become famous, especially the kids who, while they may be adorable to their parents, are pretty average kids to the rest of the world. Like the little Super Bass kid. She was cute, but so are a lot of little girls. A lot of girls can sing along to Nicki Minaj or whoever. That, imo, should have remained a family video. I've got a bunch of video clips of my dd singing and dancing. Of course, I think they're absolutely amazing. However, I don't expect everybody on the internet to share my sentiment.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,584,797 times
There's a new viral video... that video of the child receiving the "wrong" Chicago team pillow for Christmas and throwing a fit or whatever?

I went to the video and the mom was already throwing her own fit. "I have no idea how this got on Yahoo" (<-???) and "you all have no right to say those things!" You know... that whole song and dance.

I was the one subscribed to all those YouTube moms. I've unsubbed from all of them. My views on the whole matter have completely changed. It quickly reached a point where I'd go to watch a new one, and the words "none of my business... none of my business..." keep rolling around in my head the whole time. It doesn't feel good anymore, because before, I assumed there was a mutual understanding between uploader and audience of what was being done. I thought it was understood it was all for the public. The opinions were not personal. People would say what they're going to say. And...whatever. I thought the parents, for the most part, completely understood this. It's for public consumption, for better or worse, period.

But in fact, the majority of these people are just irresponsible folks putting their kids on display, often with TMI thrown in for good measure (hehe..eek), and we're all supposed to, as the public, "behave" and "act accordingly" to spare their feelings... as if these are close family friends or something. lol

Yeah. Not gonna happen. They're not friends. I wouldn't express these opinions to my friends or moms in a store. But for random parents on the internet? Sure. Why not? And I don't think there's a problem with that. I don't think it's any different than people who sit around in a restaurant talking about Jon and Kate or the Duggars.

They say when you feel good inside it's the truth, and when you feel bad it's false. It's your gut instinct or intuition. I felt bad when I was made to feel mean or unkind about my opinion, particularly when people tried to say I had malicious intent or that it was "cyberbullying." I felt better when I realized that my intentions were pretty pure and impersonal the entire time. I stand by everything I've ever said. And I'd say it again. My only regret was defending or attempting to explain myself to spoiled people who can't take the heat. There was nothing that needed to be defended or explained.

Can't take the heat? Adjust the privacy settings that you know darn well are there.
Should be YouTube's new tagline.

A very long time ago, one of those YouTube mom was dealing with some critics and aired a complaint video. She was told numerous times to adjust her settings? Do you think she ever did? Nope, but the complaining continued. Attention-seeker. I think that's basically what it boils down to. And then there's "that awkward moment," as the kids these days say, when they don't get the kind of attention they want.... That's all it's really about, in the end. The mother's personal pride. "Wow, the world may not consider me the perfect mom." Nope. We don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or