Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That the breast is a sexualIZED (MADE sexual) is something more worthy of changing than women's habit of feeding their babies when their babies are hungry.

It is insane to have one's desire not to see it require action on the part of the mother rather than taking the simple action of turning one's head. The responsibility lies squarely with the person who does not want to see an eating baby. The inconsideration is to think that a Mom and baby should be shut in due to Puritanical sensibilities.

Real men know how to appreciate breasts not only for their beauty but for their natural function.

When a male can only see breasts in a sexual way he is stuck in some kind of adolescent mindset. It's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
People as I recall the OP asked for advice on weaning her child. Gathering from posts this thread has been hijacked by those who find offense in breastfeeding in public. That was never the subject nor should it be now.

Please realize that there are state laws in place in the US which gives women the right to breastfeed in public and as far as I am aware there is no bill in place that is going up for vote in Congress making it offense or illegal to feed in public.

Breastfeeding State Laws

If you are a person in public who comes across a woman who is breastfeeding her child please look away. There is no need to stare or make an issue out of it because it offends you. It is incredibly rude to stare at anyone in public including a woman who is breastfeeding her child.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
MrsX, "rude" is subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There, fixed it for you.

All of this is blather from a misinformed parent who has not actively been responsible for feeding an infant. If you are not the owner of the lactating mammaries, you have no say, and sorry but in the case of breastfeeding the opinions of a disparaging man person counts for naught.
Fixed WHAT? The average U.S. citizen does not pee in public!

And I was VERY serious. Moms who want to breastfeed in public are arguing for the sake of their convenience, not because it's somehow inevitable that they will be in a public place when baby gets hungry. No one's saying not to feed your baby, just to be thoughtful about when and where you find yourself doing it. It's not hard to do.

This isn't a man's point of view either; plenty of women feel the same exact way. I've actually heard more women complain and make fun of it than men, now that I think about it. You think most men are going to complain about seeing breasts? Talk about misinformed!

Everyone has say... yes, even men

Dorthy, a baby shouldn't be fed "for comfort" because it teaches them to equate eating with meeting that entirely separate need. You should find another way to comfort your child than feeding them. It may be my opinion, but at least it's well thought-out.

I thought you would've understood that some moms want to breastfeed in public for themselves for their own convenience; it's a "need" you can prevent quite easily; you just don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That the breast is a sexualIZED (MADE sexual) is something more worthy of changing than women's habit of feeding their babies when their babies are hungry.
Subjective. I say encouraging people to plan ahead instead of habitually just doing whatever suits them is a good thing, as is the breast being sexualized.

This'll be the last debate-like post on this thread for me, however. I only wanted to introduce the points you may otherwise never have heard from the other side (which is not so minority and you all know it). If you'd like to discuss it further with me, perhaps a new thread is in order or you can message me. Thanks for, umm, hearing me out?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
Vic,

Do you have any advice on how to wean a child or if breasts come back to normal? Considering that you don't lactate, and your wife chose not to, I doubt you have any input on either? Why are you insisting on coming on this thread to take it off topic?

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-21-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: deleted rude comment

Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
MrsX, "rude" is subjective.

Fixed WHAT? The average U.S. citizen does not pee in public!

And I was VERY serious. Moms who want to breastfeed in public are arguing for the sake of their convenience, not because it's somehow inevitable that they will be in a public place when baby gets hungry. No one's saying not to feed your baby, just to be thoughtful about when and where you find yourself doing it. It's not hard to do.

This isn't a man's point of view either; plenty of women feel the same exact way. I've actually heard more women complain and make fun of it than men, now that I think about it. You think most men are going to complain about seeing breasts? Talk about misinformed!

Everyone has say... yes, even men

Dorthy, a baby shouldn't be fed "for comfort" because it teaches them to equate eating with meeting that entirely separate need. You should find another way to comfort your child than feeding them. It may be my opinion, but at least it's well thought-out.

I thought you would've understood that some moms want to breastfeed in public for themselves for their own convenience; it's a "need" you can prevent quite easily; you just don't want to.

Subjective. I say encouraging people to plan ahead instead of habitually just doing whatever suits them is a good thing, as is the breast being sexualized.

This'll be the last debate-like post on this thread for me, however. I only wanted to introduce the points you may otherwise never have heard from the other side (which is not so minority and you all know it). If you'd like to discuss it further with me, perhaps a new thread is in order or you can message me. Thanks for, umm, hearing me out?
Yes it is rude. It is rude for anyone to stare at any person in public including a mother who is breastfeeding a child, a child who may be bald because they are recovering from chemotherapy treatment, an obese person who may be riding around in a scooter, a person who may have lost their leg due to War time. It is rude and it will always be rude.

Any man who views breastfeeding in a sexual nature is a pervert.

And for any person who hijacks a thread for their own agenda on breastfeeding in public which this thread has nothing to do about, is RUDE.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Well my ORIGINAL stopping date was 3 months. Now ive extended it to 6 months. I may extend it again. lol I just feel so bad because (not to gross anyone out) but breastmilk is sweet and similac is bitter.
Yeah, makers of products like Similac have gotten the "forumula" right, but they just can't seem to duplicate the sweetness of real breast milk

Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, makers of products like Similac have gotten the "forumula" right, but they just can't seem to duplicate the sweetness of real breast milk
What about Enfamil? I know with DS they did Enfamil with iron but it gave him really bad diaper rash. I know now that there is many organic formula types as well that are suppose to be gentle on the stomach.

And has anybody tried cabbage leaves for engorgement? I always wondered about it!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why do you think that breastfeeding is also referred to as "nursing"? What do you think pacifiers were modeled after? Nursing for comfort is very normal. Nursing is more than Breastfeeding - The Baby Bond

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
What about Enfamil? I know with DS they did Enfamil with iron but it gave him really bad diaper rash. I know now that there is many organic formula types as well that are suppose to be gentle on the stomach.

And has anybody tried cabbage leaves for engorgement? I always wondered about it!
It could be much better by now, but years ago we had the same trouble with Enfamil after I weaned my first son.

As my son grew he had allergies to cow's milk so our doctor had us go to goat's milk, which was better for him to tolerate until he was much older

Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It could be much better by now, but years ago we had the same trouble with Enfamil after I weaned my first son.

We had it in the first month during breastfeeding and DS did not take to it at all. The diaper rash was awful but he finally took to the breast.

That is why I recommended that Ohio see her ped first before going into weaning. Some formula's can be very harsh on the baby and sometimes it takes a few tries before you get it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting