Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
We had it in the first month during breastfeeding and DS did not take to it at all. The diaper rash was awful but he finally took to the breast.

That is why I recommended that Ohio see her ped first before going into weaning. Some formula's can be very harsh on the baby and sometimes it takes a few tries before you get it right.
Good call advising her to discuss the formula options with her pediatrician
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
May I say something,?
I am a father that has delivered my own two children over thirty five years ago.
My wife breast fed them both about 9 months each.
The most important issue in her mind was a mother's immunities being transfirred to the child during it 's most vulnerable time.
I am not a doctor though I have studdied medicine and the human body for 40 odd years ,probibly the most significant discovery is that our culture is to blame for so many misgivings and misinformation over our health.
I know adults that do not know where their steak comes from. And people a re groosed out to find that chicken is a live animal sloughtered for our consumption in Mc nuggets .
It is an insult to the age we live in to be so peddy ignorant and culturally shell shocked over our bodies and their function, what we live on and the importance of a rounded healthy existance.
We are living in the 21st century ,a very long way from the dark ages ,yet we have learned nothing ,gained nothing ,being grossed out by natural body functions that have not changed sence God made us in the beginning.
By the way there are women ,whom against cultural taboos are breast feeding well into the child's 5-6-7-years of age..
I have known women that had offered them self a source, if all other food sources had collapsed .
I have a great sympathy for women over endowed, and the stress that goes along with it .
And for the record, I believe that one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen is an infant nursing his mother.
A prominant portion of a woman's anatomy, is her providing life to her young.
Yet so many seem ashamed of this advantage, by the pressure of an immature society.
In my opinion, (studdied in naturism" not participation ) Children raised in that culture are not distracted with sex ,as other children raised in extreemly conservitive culture.
Hiding something creates a market for it, among those that have been shielded from it deliberately.
Start wearing a glove, and in time folks will be asking why and want to see your hand.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Hey OP - did you get what you need (before the thread devolved into trying to educate the judgmental)?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
Oh, and when pumping in an attempt to wean, remember to just do it for comfort, not to empty the breast. I don't know if that is obvious enough, but its important to lessen the demand for production to stop.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Oh, and when pumping in an attempt to wean, remember to just do it for comfort, not to empty the breast. I don't know if that is obvious enough, but its important to lessen the demand for production to stop.
Right. This is a case where "use it or lose it" is so true

So when you WANT milk production to slow down you don't pump or nurse as long or as often.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
And has anybody tried cabbage leaves for engorgement? I always wondered about it!
They do work, but ice-packs are a little more efficient.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post

Yes! everyone (who stayed on topic ) was very helpful. Last time I spoke to her doctor about formula (when she was first born) they wanted her on similac neo sure which is for preemie babies and has extra calories. Though with her being born at 5lbs 4 oz going down 5 lbs 0 oz and then leaving the hospital at 5lb 2 oz and now she is 11lb 5 oz at 14 weeks I dont know if they still want her on that extra calorie. But i will deffinitly check.

I never thought about adjusting my body to only BF at night. That sounds like the best idea that way she will still get some good nutriants and I can use the bathroom at work! lol I always thought it was an all or nothing deal. Thanks everyone for your input and advice!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Yes! everyone (who stayed on topic ) was very helpful. Last time I spoke to her doctor about formula (when she was first born) they wanted her on similac neo sure which is for preemie babies and has extra calories. Though with her being born at 5lbs 4 oz going down 5 lbs 0 oz and then leaving the hospital at 5lb 2 oz and now she is 11lb 5 oz at 14 weeks I dont know if they still want her on that extra calorie. But i will deffinitly check.

I never thought about adjusting my body to only BF at night. That sounds like the best idea that way she will still get some good nutriants and I can use the bathroom at work! lol I always thought it was an all or nothing deal. Thanks everyone for your input and advice!
Glad we could help

Gradual weaning works best and goes easiest.

Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:

Good luck and all the best. Also check out bottle nipples that are shaped more like the breast to help with the weaning process. If you go to a regular teet she might not like it too much.

Last edited by CD's Only Mrs. X; 12-21-2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Why does it always do this?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:

I pumped at work for quite some time, and I know what a PITA it is. Later on I nursed both of mine just in the evening, or when they were ill/out of sorts, and it worked out well for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting