U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,259,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
re: bf-ing in public

I dont think I would have the heart to BF in public. I guess if there was a dire need and no way to go somewhere discreet of course I would but given the option I wouldnt but I'm a shy person. If I had one of those little drapy things then I would probably. IDK.

Whenever I leave the house I always bring 2 bottles of breastmilk and I heat it up to scorching hot so when she decides she's hungry it's nice and warm.
Do I recall there is a temperature at which the heat kills off some of the good stuff in the milk? Anyone? Or am I so past breastfeeding that my memory is off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,219,676 times
Quote:
re: bf-ing in public

I dont think I would have the heart to BF in public. I guess if there was a dire need and no way to go somewhere discreet of course I would but given the option I wouldnt but I'm a shy person. If I had one of those little drapy things then I would probably. IDK.

Whenever I leave the house I always bring 2 bottles of breastmilk and I heat it up to scorching hot so when she decides she's hungry it's nice and warm. But if that wasnt an option then of course im going to feed my baby screw what others think! lol.
My funny breastfeeding story....when my 2nd child was a few months old my older son had a buddy over for a play date.

When it was time to nurse the baby I sent the kids into the backyard to play with instructions that I would call them in in a little while.

As it was a hot summer day I top my top off, undid the flap on my nursing bra and proceeded to feed the baby in the living room.

All of a sudden our visitor rushed into the house to tell me something. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me and ran back outside with his mouth hanging open and without saying a word.

This boy was an only child so I thought he'd probably just never seen a mother nursing a baby. So I called his mom to give her a heads up that she might have to explain a few things to him when he got home, lol.

I laughingly told her what happened and there was a dead silence on the other end of the phone Finally all she managed to say was, oh no!

So I said well, haven't you ever talked to him about where babies come from?

She said, oh of course I've done that (all indignant like).

So I said, well, what did you tell him?

She said, I just told him babies come from Presbyterian Hospital.

I don't think she ever forgave me for exposing her son to the facts of life, LOL.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,817,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do I recall there is a temperature at which the heat kills off some of the good stuff in the milk? Anyone? Or am I so past breastfeeding that my memory is off?
One should never, ever warm breast milk in a microwave. It does indeed destroy the nutrients. Instead, it should be warmed up in a bowl of warm water.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,735,406 times
Quote:
If I pull out a bag of Cheetos at the mall, no one thinks anything of it.

I honestly think that people who want mothers to accommodate their squick have some unhealthy breast fixation.
If I pull out my Cheetos at Ruby Tuesday's, you can bet the management will have something to say about it.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:46 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,367,963 times
Heck, I breastfed anywhere and everywhere - including standing in the grocery checkout line. And I'll bet very few people even knew what I was doing. I would hold the baby up close to me and I would pull my shirt down right to his face and I never, ever showed skin.

When the babies got a little older and their little hands would pull and push the shirt up and down, I would cover up with a small blanket.

When they got old enough to understand, I would explain that it was a "private" thing and we would just do it at home. And, yes, I did nurse a couple who were old enough to understand that reasoning at the time.

I remember when I was pregnant with my first. My husband's brother and his wife were expecting, too, but were about 3 1/2 months behind me. A few weeks after they had their baby, my (then) husband and I and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law decided to take the cousins up to see their great grandparents, who lived three hours away. On the way there, we stopped to eat at a restaurant. While we sat there, I nursed my almost-four-month-old son. I was totally discreet, and had myself completely covered. My sister-in-law, on the other hand, unbuttoned her blouse and totally whipped that big old boob of hers out for all to see to nurse her daughter. LOL It even shocked me a little.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,143,158 times
Hey Ohio! Another reason why to see your ped before starting the weaning to formula and for all the formula mommies who may have Enfamil on their shelves.

Wal-Mart pulls formula after Mo. baby's death - Yahoo! News

Old 12-22-2011, 08:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,259,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Heck, I breastfed anywhere and everywhere - including standing in the grocery checkout line. And I'll bet very few people even knew what I was doing. I would hold the baby up close to me and I would pull my shirt down right to his face and I never, ever showed skin.
I nursed in a sling. WOE to the fool who walked up and unsolicited pulled back the edge of the sling.

Quote:
When the babies got a little older and their little hands would pull and push the shirt up and down, I would cover up with a small blanket.

When they got old enough to understand, I would explain that it was a "private" thing and we would just do it at home. And, yes, I did nurse a couple who were old enough to understand that reasoning at the time.

I remember when I was pregnant with my first. My husband's brother and his wife were expecting, too, but were about 3 1/2 months behind me. A few weeks after they had their baby, my (then) husband and I and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law decided to take the cousins up to see their great grandparents, who lived three hours away. On the way there, we stopped to eat at a restaurant. While we sat there, I nursed my almost-four-month-old son. I was totally discreet, and had myself completely covered. My sister-in-law, on the other hand, unbuttoned her blouse and totally whipped that big old boob of hers out for all to see to nurse her daughter. LOL It even shocked me a little.
When I was first starting, I was not very good at latching. I would take my blanket and put it up over my head, covered me like a tent. I thought this is silly, I am calling more attention to myself than the 2.5 seconds of exposed breast that latching required,

Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,380,325 times
Quote:
Everything I've read is that you should never shake the breastmilk the temp doesnt matter.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,380,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
One should never, ever warm breast milk in a microwave. It does indeed destroy the nutrients. Instead, it should be warmed up in a bowl of warm water.

I use a bottle warmer its a little thing I plug in the wall pour a little water in it and put the bottle in and it heats it up.

i never heard that the micorwave kills the nutriants but I have heard that the micorwave can cause hot psots which could burn babies mouth so I always stayed away from it anyway.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,817,556 times
Quote:
Everything I've read is that you should never shake the breastmilk the temp doesnt matter.
Temperature does matter. Breast milk should not be frozen, nor overheated. The jury is out on shaking it, but once it's warmed up a bit, you shouldn't need to shake it too vigorously.

Quote:
I use a bottle warmer its a little thing I plug in the wall pour a little water in it and put the bottle in and it heats it up.

i never heard that the micorwave kills the nutriants but I have heard that the micorwave can cause hot psots which could burn babies mouth so I always stayed away from it anyway.
Yes, the bottle warmer is good as long as it doesn't get too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting