U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,394,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Yep, but that doesn't all have to be for one child. If a mother has 2 children and breastfeeds each one for a year her risk will go down slightly. Nursing for 6 years reduces the risk by 63% according to sources I've seen.
I should be safe then.

I breastfed all five of my boys (actually nursed boy #3 while I was pregnant with boy #4 and nursed both of them for a couple of months). My last two boys totaled 7 1/2 years of nursing between them.

I think I spent something like 10 1/2 to 11 years breastfeeding total.

And my breasts are quite perky, thank you very much. (Not.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,122,072 times
I can't remember if it was on this forum or Fashion & Beauty, but some young woman said that she didn't want to have kids because she was afraid of getting stretchmarks, and my answer was, honey, just wait till you find out what happens after breastfeeding.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,996,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I should be safe then.

I breastfed all five of my boys (actually nursed boy #3 while I was pregnant with boy #4 and nursed both of them for a couple of months). My last two boys totaled 7 1/2 years of nursing between them.

I think I spent something like 10 1/2 to 11 years breastfeeding total.

And my breasts are quite perky, thank you very much. (Not.)
Didn't you have problems to get pregnant with your forth kid while breastfeeding the third one? I just finished my A&P II class and our professor told us that if very difficult to get pregnant quickly after a child if you're breastfeeding for some reason. She cited studies and everything.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,394,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Didn't you have problems to get pregnant with your forth kid while breastfeeding the third one? I just finished my A&P II class and our professor told us that if very difficult to get pregnant quickly after a child if you're breastfeeding for some reason. She cited studies and everything.
I thought it would be more difficult, and because of that, I got a little careless. Big surprise!

And while I was pregnant with boy #4 and still nursing boy #3, I had people tell me that I was "hurting" and "depriving" the baby I was pregnant with. Hah! Christopher came out a very healthy 9 1/2 pounds!

When it became apparent that I was not going to get boy #3 weaned before I delivered boy #4, I called a Le Leche League adviser and she said "tandem nursing" is very common, she had done it herself, and found it "very rewarding." Now, I found lots of things about having babies "rewarding," but nursing a toddler AND an infant was not one of them. For those couple (or few) months - I can't remember exactly - it seemed like I NEVER went more than a few minutes without having one or both of my boobs in use. I was glad when boy #3 stopped nursing; in fact, he is the only one of the five who EVER had a bottle because I had to get him off me somehow.

But, no, I would never advise anyone to think of breastfeeding as a form of birth control.

1,933 posts, read 3,148,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Yep, but that doesn't all have to be for one child. If a mother has 2 children and breastfeeds each one for a year her risk will go down slightly. Nursing for 6 years reduces the risk by 63% according to sources I've seen.
Dorthy I am already schedule for my next two years on boob row. Mr. X wants to know when I get out on parole. He said four years is a loong time for a man. God forbid if I really went to jail.

DFWgal, really? I wonder to because I got pregnant literally as I weaned DS off.

1,067 posts, read 1,382,917 times
Quote:
It's hard but not impossible. When I asked my DR she said while breastfeeding it stops you from ovulationg. But its not a sure thing so backup BC is always reccommended.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 5,965,026 times
Don't be fooled by the breast cancer risk and breastfeeding. While the risk is lower, it is not definite. I have a friend the breastfed 4 children, and she had her children at a fairly young age. Statisically speaking, she should have been prime for reduced risk since it didn't run her family. She contracted breast cancer - currently a survivor, and approaching the end of her remission period. Similarly, my step mother was also deemed "low risk" by doctors. Had 2 children young, and twins middle age, all breast fed and no family history. The breast cancer came back a month before she hit the official remission period, and the second round got the best of her.

OP -- as for the Ladies and returning to their perky ways. If you're well-endowed, you could always seek reduction surgery to reduce back pain / fatigue if your doctor will sign off on it after you're done breast feeding and having children. The surgery will, more or less, reshape things and give them a little of that old perk back.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:59 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,161,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Dorthy I am already schedule for my next two years on boob row. Mr. X wants to know when I get out on parole. He said four years is a loong time for a man. God forbid if I really went to jail.

DFWgal, really? I wonder to because I got pregnant literally as I weaned DS off.
Ha ha! I'll see ya on boob row. One day we'll get paroled.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,382,917 times
Well my ORIGINAL stopping date was 3 months. Now ive extended it to 6 months. I may extend it again. lol I just feel so bad because (not to gross anyone out) but breastmilk is sweet and similac is bitter.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:12 PM

24,484 posts, read 28,875,378 times
Quote:
I got a nephew that way. Exactly one year younger than his sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting