Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM

86 posts, read 289,720 times

Advertisements

Thank you! I've heard of this book...I'll be ordering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2tnx View Post
Thank you so much! The bolded is what sparks his quick anger. He most certainly knows how to handle the situation but in the heat of the moment his impulses sometimes get the best of him. He's very sensitive emotionally. He hasn't been tested for Aspergers yet. I spoke in depth with his pediatrician yesterday and he says perhaps he's just emotionally immature and since he's gotten progressively better overtime that he will eventually grow out of it ....I've been told this before by a behaviorist.
I wanted to second Hopes' suggestion to pursue behavioral or cognitive behavioral treatment even when there's not an immediate problem to be solved. A good behavioral therapist will be able to help your son simulate the things that stimulate his quick anger during the sessions and practice coping with the skills he already knows while he is experiencing the intense emotion. That can make it easier for him to overlearn appropriate responses specifically for when his emotions feel out of control, and help it generalize to his real life, if that makes sense.

Best of luck to you and your son!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,020 times
My step son has this disorder. He is seven. We have had custody
Of him since he was three. And he has been stealing since he was in preschool.
He was diagnosed with ADHD a year ago. Since he started medicine his grades went
From D's and F's too A's and B's. But he never stopped stealing. And no discipline
Works on him. The things he stills have no value to him.
But he takes them anyway. He is the youngest of five, and he has
turned
Our house upside down. But his counselor and dr finally diagnosed him
With this. And now everything I'm reading about it, it is making
So much since, what we have been going thru. It is a chemical imbalance!
The parents aren't to blame. People think, well you just let your child do what he
Wants. Why dont you discipline him? Well you can't discipline someone with this
Disorder. It doesnt work. Believe me, we have spanked, took stuff away, restricted him. Nothing works.. They explained it to me like this. If you bite your nails and someone tells you to stop
Can you stop doing it? No! Because it us a compulsion. You don't think when you do it you just
Do it. There is medicine to help it. They treat with depression medication. He just started taking them. We are praying they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting