U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 AM

86 posts, read 251,322 times

Advertisements

My son was diagnosed with it by a neurologist when he was 4 years old-he is now 8 years old. A few months ago he was diagnosed with something similar by a psychologist.

He does a social skills group in school and we see a psychologist from time to time depending on his behavioral issues in school. Academically he does very well and is in a gifted class but as he gets older his peers at school become less tolerate of his rants. Outside of school he's active in many different activities to promote team work, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I would appreciate any added positive advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
I do not know anything about impulse control disorder. How does it differ from the impulsivity associated with ADHD?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I do not know anything about impulse control disorder. How does it differ from the impulsivity associated with ADHD?
Not sure-but he's been evaluated numerous times for ADHD and has never been diagnosed with it. I believe it's because he doesn't have any attention deficit-he is highly focused and isn't hyperactive at all. His impulses stem from his inability to control his emotions at times.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,535,980 times
Impulse Control Disorder? Isn't that essentially what ADHD is?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Impulse Control Disorder? Isn't that essentially what ADHD is?
Nope...it is not ADHD. People with ADHD do experience a lack of impulse control though.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
Impulse Control Disorder is usually given as a diagnosis when the person clearly has a problem/challenge with acting impulsively, but doesn't "qualify" for other more specific diagnoses. There are a number of "soft" or "flexible" DSM disgnoses like this so that people can qualify for treatment (with insurance companies or public payers) when they don't show all the signs & symptoms of a specific mental health diagnosis.

It's possible that if the problems identified continue, or if more problems or issues arise, the child will later qualify for another firmer diagnosis.

The treatment providers need to treat the actual issues, no matter what it happens to be named at the time. So for example, if a kid with ADHD has tantrums, a kid with ODD has tantrums, a kid with autism/PDD has tantrums, a kid with PTSD has tantrums, and a kid with an Impulse Control Disorder has tantrums, the parents and children are going to get help with managing and decreasing the tantrums, and the interventions might look about the same for all those kids, even though they have different diagnoses.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
That's a very broad diagnosis.

Which impulse control disorder does he have?

Is it OCD? Is it Intermittent Explosive Disorder?

What exactly are your son's symptoms?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
I've heard of and seen kids who are impulsive but I didn't know it was an actual disorder. What kind of impulses does your son have trouble controlling? I'm curious because the son of a friend of mine is very impulsive but I don't think he's been diagnosed with anything. She has a terrible time trying to control him.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Impulse Control Disorder is usually given as a diagnosis when the person clearly has a problem/challenge with acting impulsively, but doesn't "qualify" for other more specific diagnoses. There are a number of "soft" or "flexible" DSM disgnoses like this so that people can qualify for treatment (with insurance companies or public payers) when they don't show all the signs & symptoms of a specific mental health diagnosis.

It's possible that if the problems identified continue, or if more problems or issues arise, the child will later qualify for another firmer diagnosis.

The treatment providers need to treat the actual issues, no matter what it happens to be named at the time. So for example, if a kid with ADHD has tantrums, a kid with ODD has tantrums, a kid with autism/PDD has tantrums, a kid with PTSD has tantrums, and a kid with an Impulse Control Disorder has tantrums, the parents and children are going to get help with managing and decreasing the tantrums, and the interventions might look about the same for all those kids, even though they have different diagnoses.
Thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've heard of and seen kids who are impulsive but I didn't know it was an actual disorder. What kind of impulses does your son have trouble controlling? I'm curious because the son of a friend of mine is very impulsive but I don't think he's been diagnosed with anything. She has a terrible time trying to control him.
Neither did I...I never knew it was an actual disorder but rather that it was perhaps associated with something else. He has trouble controlling his emotions at times-easily angered, etc. It's nothing too severe but it has created issues for him in school and I'm activitely pursuing different ways to help him with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or