U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,987,489 times

Advertisements

It is hard, and there are times when you will wonder if you're doing the right thing or doing what is best for your children. The great thing about kids is, even if you DON'T make the right decision, even if you make mistakes, as long as they know you love them, it won't cause them any harm. It's the intent behind the action that matters. It's very obvious you love your kids, so they will be fine, and so will you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,265,172 times
Thanks to everyone for the replies! I guess it's the stress of Xmas combined with my husbands job stress, combined with the everyday stress of trying to figure out what your kids need as far as emotional support, encouragement, and a little pushing at times. Everything that you all said makes sense and made me feel alot better.
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,742,576 times
I love your thread because most of us have felt exactly what you expressed during our child rearing years. I frequently say, "Motherhood is not for wimps," which sums it up succinctly. Just do the best you can do and know that everything is going to turn out alright. Hugs.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM

25,906 posts, read 35,274,354 times
What a great thread.

One of the biggest revelations as a parent was when I realized that my parents were just ordinary people. Imagine you are traveling through a forest, using a map that your parents gave you. And then on the way you realize that the map is only kind of accurate, and that's why everything is so confusing. At that point, you plot your own course.

Best wishes!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM

335 posts, read 819,634 times
I found giving children opportunities to communicate with me encouraged their continued communication. My daughter would sometimes drive me crazy with all her talking, but I knew it was important for her to know that I cared enough to listen and respond. No, a response is not always necessary. Sometimes children just need to vent, too.

During her teen years when so many of her friends stopped talking to their parents, she and they talked to me because I was available when they needed someone to listen.

Sure, I made mistakes. Unconditional love, mutual respect, and honest communication are the best things parents can give their children.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,734,365 times
All you can do is keep going. If you feel like you need help or guidance, there are parenting classes taught thru community education courses. All children are not the same, I had one child that made me wonder what I did to "cause" his problems. He was just wired differently. And responded in different ways. You can't parent all kids the same.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:03 PM

11,264 posts, read 9,339,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
All you can do is keep going.

Just keep swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting