Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why? Is creative writing somehow a more important skill?
No.

Just something I'm passionate about. Total personal prejudice showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 01:48 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Parent's choice" means YOUR choice? Why? (Curious as to your reasoning.)

I should have said this earlier:

Children will grow to HATE writing if they are forced to write. They should be encouraged to write as a form of self expression. Why are you making them write book reports? How about having them write stories about their day? Or creating fictional stories? You can help them with their spelling and punctuation without having them write book reports. Which teaches nothing but formula writing. They'll learn that in school.
Quote:
The message I was trying to get across is that parents should encourage their children's creative writing.
I would like to add that children will also grow to HATE reading if they are made to write a book report on every book. My son started reading at age 2 because he loved words and books. However, by the end of 3rd grade he hated reading because every book he read (at school or at home) had to have a written book report to prove he read it. Writing book reports taught my son that reading was not a pleasure anymore.
Once I began homeschooling him the book reports stopped. Well, I should say the written reports stopped. We both read for pleasure and shared what we read. We also both read what pleases us.
As for his writing skills. He surpassed me (at the same age) years ago. Our favorite book to hone those skills has been (and still is) our trusty Webster's Dictionary. He really wanted to understand punctuation and the dictionary has a terrific section that explains them all.

I agree with Dew: creative writing is a much better way to get kids to write. We all write more when we control the subject.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
No.

Just something I'm passionate about. Total personal prejudice showing.
Ha! I was thinking, gee expository writing seems pretty important too. What am I missing?? But that is my android personality showing.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

I agree with Dew: creative writing is a much better way to get kids to write. We all write more when we control the subject.
Unless you have a budding scientist who prefers to write about subjects he loves but not stories, real information.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
No I don't help my kids with writing because I'm terrible at it, it was never a subject I liked, I'll teach them math and science and computer programming all day long but not writing.

Two of my kids came out really good at writing, one son had a high school English teacher say that he was good enough to write professionally for a living and a college professor that sent something he wrote off to be published.

I'm kind of glad I didn't mess up their writing ability by teaching them my way.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unless you have a budding scientist who prefers to write about subjects he loves but not stories, real information.
A budding scientist who writes about what he loves is still writing. Creative writing is not all about writing stories/fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting