Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,786 times

Advertisements

I was on jury duty the other day. The man was a 27 year old on trial for a SECOND DUI. He got his first one six years ago.

During deliberation, several people kept referring to him as a "kid." I was the youngest juror at 20 years old and had to keep reminding them that a 27 year old isn't a kid anymore. By then, your brain is fully matured, you are at an age to be done with school and have a career and financial independence.

In other countries, someone even my age would be considered an adult and would probably be expected to be married with children already. It bothers me how America treats people who are damn near thirty like they are big kids and not "real" grown up.

What do you have to say? Do you consider a 27 year old a kid or a man who should be over this immature phase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Nope they are not a kid.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
It depends on who is calling him a kid. In the eyes of a 60-year old, a 27-year-old *is* a "kid." Not a child..but the term, the phrase, the colloquialism, "kid." Kid, as in "someone young enough to be my son, regardless of how old he actually is."

To the 20-year-old, the "kid" was relatively older, and therefore, not a kid, because the 20 year old doesn't refer to himself as a kid.

It's all based on the perspective of the observer and has nothing to do with chronological age. It's just a term to describe someone significantly younger than yourself. However old -you- happen to be.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It depends on who is calling him a kid. In the eyes of a 60-year old, a 27-year-old *is* a "kid." Not a child..but the term, the phrase, the colloquialism, "kid." Kid, as in "someone young enough to be my son, regardless of how old he actually is."

To the 20-year-old, the "kid" was relatively older, and therefore, not a kid, because the 20 year old doesn't refer to himself as a kid.

It's all based on the perspective of the observer and has nothing to do with chronological age. It's just a term to describe someone significantly younger than yourself. However old -you- happen to be.
I agree with this. I have also called people older than me a kid just because of the maturity level. Just because someone has been on this earth for a certain number of years, that doesn't make them an adult. I have known plenty of people in their late 20's and early 30's who were still "kids".

Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,465,890 times
A 27 year old is NOT a kid. I'm 49 and he would be young enough to be my son but I would still not refer to a 27 year old as a "kid". Second DUI? Nice. Hopefully, if he was guilty, he got a serious penalty. Maybe he'll learn a lesson before he kills innocent people.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
A 27 year old is NOT a kid. I'm 49 and he would be young enough to be my son but I would still not refer to a 27 year old as a "kid". Second DUI? Nice. Hopefully, if he was guilty, he got a serious penalty. Maybe he'll learn a lesson before he kills innocent people.
Unfortunately, it was a hung jury. I tried to have him convicted before he ends up killing someone.

To Anon,

I understand what you are saying, but this "kid" was trying to convince eight people that he was a "responsible adult" who had "learned a lot" from his DUI of six years ago. I think trying to label him as a " kid" just minimizes the seriousness of the situation AND tries to make him less accountable or responsible for his actions.

At twenty seven, he is an adult / grown, not a kid.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Look at it another way - "kids" should not be behind the wheel. Young adults can be behind the wheel, fully grown adults can be behind the wheel. Kids - should be in safety seats in the back, strapped in snug as a bug in a rug, with their bankies and pacies. Or maybe in their rooms doing their homework.

Again, it's a term. Kid doesn't necessarily mean child. It also means baby goat, but I'm pretty sure they didn't mean that either.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I was on jury duty the other day. The man was a 27 year old on trial for a SECOND DUI. He got his first one six years ago.

During deliberation, several people kept referring to him as a "kid." I was the youngest juror at 20 years old and had to keep reminding them that a 27 year old isn't a kid anymore. By then, your brain is fully matured, you are at an age to be done with school and have a career and financial independence.

In other countries, someone even my age would be considered an adult and would probably be expected to be married with children already. It bothers me how America treats people who are damn near thirty like they are big kids and not "real" grown up.

What do you have to say? Do you consider a 27 year old a kid or a man who should be over this immature phase?
It depends on how this person behaves and lives. If he behaves like a kid, I'd call him a kid.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
My doctor is a kid. She is 43. I'm 65. It's all relative.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times
It's just a term used for a younger person. I get called "kid" by a couple people I work with because I happen to be younger. I don't think people actually thought the guy was a child incapable of making decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting