U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times

Advertisements

Here's a relevant story.

My sister has one of these picky eaters who she caters to. He only eats like 5 things, none of them fruits or vegetables. (She has other kids who aren't picky eaters.)

Instead of tossing old produce, she started the habit of cutting up fresh vegies and fruit and putting it on the kitchen counter or table. T

he family would pick at them throughou the day.

When they weren't paying attention, the picky eater was eating the fresh fruits and vegies that are cut up.

They caught him! LOL Of course they acted like they didn't see.

So it is all attention seeking. Her way around it is leaving healthy food out throughout the day, knowing he'll eat it when she's not looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Because I have been told on other groups, in no uncertain terms, what a mean, control freak mother I am.
I always thought you were a guy. Shows how much I pay attention!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM

423 posts, read 888,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Our 4 year old is a picky eater. I've tried not to worry about this much in the past. Now that he's doing more stuff with other kids like preschool, birthday parties, I've noticed that he seems to be quite a bit pickier than any of the other kids. Went to a birthday party where they served pizza, all the kids loved it, our kid wouldn't touch it. He eats cereal out of a bowl with a spoon, and drinks a glass of milk with it, but refuses to try cereal with milk. He has a pajama party coming up at preschool and they are serving pancakes, which he won't touch. Though he likes french toast.

I don't want to be heavy handed and force him to eat stuff, but I don't want him to turn into some oddball that can't ever eat in a group setting. I know that he will like these foods - it's not like I'm trying to get him to eat brussell sprouts, this is pizza and cereal we are talking about, 2 kid staples! I even tried to bribe him with a new toy if he tried something, but he didn't go for it. Is it too soon to worry about this? I kinda think it is, but still it bugs me. My wife says he's just trying to out-stubborn me.
My son is now 20 and an incredibly picky eater. So what? He isn't me and won't ever be. If you are trying to out stubborn your child you will both lose.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,351,828 times
I would only eat Kraft Mac & Cheese when I was little. I think I ate exclusively that for like 2 months my mom said.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,275,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I always thought you were a guy. Shows how much I pay attention!
OMG. Really? My husband is chuckling over here. I am definitely a woman.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:01 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,275,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I would only eat Kraft Mac & Cheese when I was little. I think I ate exclusively that for like 2 months my mom said.
Kraft mac n cheese would not show up on our shopping list for six!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,657,357 times
I only make one meal. Period. My three year old almost always eats what I put in front of him. The two year old is more finicky. If he's eaten well throughout the day, I just let him not eat. If he hasn't eaten well, I will give him some dried fruit as he always eats that. But that's as accommodating as I get. When I do my meal planning, I make sure to include at least one item I know both boys like...such as broccoli or green beans. So it's very rare that he eats nothing at all.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 PM

12,501 posts, read 14,648,792 times
Quote:
Our 4 year old is a picky eater. I've tried not to worry about this much in the past. Now that he's doing more stuff with other kids like preschool, birthday parties, I've noticed that he seems to be quite a bit pickier than any of the other kids. Went to a birthday party where they served pizza, all the kids loved it, our kid wouldn't touch it. He eats cereal out of a bowl with a spoon, and drinks a glass of milk with it, but refuses to try cereal with milk. He has a pajama party coming up at preschool and they are serving pancakes, which he won't touch. Though he likes french toast.

I don't want to be heavy handed and force him to eat stuff, but I don't want him to turn into some oddball that can't ever eat in a group setting. I know that he will like these foods - it's not like I'm trying to get him to eat brussell sprouts, this is pizza and cereal we are talking about, 2 kid staples! I even tried to bribe him with a new toy if he tried something, but he didn't go for it. Is it too soon to worry about this? I kinda think it is, but still it bugs me. My wife says he's just trying to out-stubborn me.
Hey..if he wants his cerial and milk seperate...so what?,,,he's still eating the same thing, just in a different way....If he doesn't want to eat the pizza, and (key here), then he really can't be that hungry.....I wouldn't be at all upset if he refuses to eat some foods...but I wouldn't be catoring to him by offering him substitutes.....as for your worry about him not eating in group settings...why worry...there are a lot of adults like that as well....it's really no big deal....I would only be concerned about him skipping meals if he was way under weight....and then I might even cater a bit....but otherwise no!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,463,966 times
Quote:
He eats cereal out of a bowl with a spoon, and drinks a glass of milk with it, but refuses to try cereal with milk.
Congratulations. You have a smart child.

He knows pouring the milk onto the cereal causes it to get all soggy and yucky. Much better to keep it nice and crispy and swig the milk on the side.

A 4-year old who isn't a slave to Madison Avenue telling him the milk has to go into the bowl. I like him.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 PM

436 posts, read 1,301,525 times
I agree with most of the other posters. Make whatever you're making and he'll either eat it or not.

When I was little, my parents made me sit at the table and eat food that I didn't like. I hated it. I would sit there for hours refusing to eat what was usually meat. To this day I am a vegetarian. I've never liked meat even as a child so I vowed that I would never make my kids eat something they don't like. But, I make whatever I'm making and they can choose to eat it or be hungry.

As far as your child being odd around his friends, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I used to have a family day care and I had a couple kids who were picky. I made breakfast and lunch for all the kids. The picky ones would tell me they don't like something so I would give them a small portion of it and tell them they could try it if they want. More often than not, after watching the other kids eat something and want seconds and thirds they picky ones decided to try the food. It didn't mean that they liked it, but they wanted to try it simply because the others seemed to like it so much. Sometimes peer pressure works in our favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting