U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,687,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It may be a load of rot in some cases but there are people with food sensory issues who are actually unable to chew and swallow foods with certain tastes, smells and textures.

The regurgitation reflex in their bodies kicks in and, believe me, it is not pleasant to be around.
Me I don't eat fish and a lot of red meat becoz they stink and I don't like how they look.

I however like extremely braised beef, like how they serve in Chipotle Mexican Grill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,687,970 times
And that could have pretty much been the case with the OP's kid. It may have been a pepperoni pizza loaded with Italian sausage. Honestly, it's not the best smelling pizza out there. I run from it at the speed of light. My favourite pizza is the old fashioned 3 or 4 cheese pizza without any crazy toppings, I can however take spinach, olives and veggies.

It could be the way it smells.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,800 posts, read 37,476,508 times
Quote:
Our 4 year old is a picky eater.
4 is pretty old to be 're-training' for food desires... We had ONE high-chair fit (pre-age 2). KID Wouldn't eat the home canned green beans (they were great quality and taste). 4 days later.... he finally ate them. (after getting them for Breakfast, Lunch and Supper, they were getting pretty petrified and kid was getting pretty hungry (had lost a few #)) He only got water till they were gone. I don't think anyone WON that battle...

Aall through childhood, the kids got their choice. Eat what was served, or eat it next meal. They were never allowed to push something away or leave the table. They sat through the meal and had to package up their stuff and wash their own dirty dishes. Then eat it next time. No in-between meal snacking @ $100/month to feed the family. Plenty of work to do on the farm, not fun to do hungry. No fair eating the cow's silage(i.e. coleslaw). Kids didn't have option to eat when away from home, as they were 'home-schooled. (They also didn't go visit friends if they had farm chores to do, or something uneaten in the fridge)

Dairy Farm Boarding School can work wonders for your kid. (plenty of openings available)

Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
4 is pretty old to be 're-training' for food desires... We had ONE high-chair fit (pre-age 2). KID Wouldn't eat the home canned green beans (they were great quality and taste). 4 days later.... he finally ate them. (after getting them for Breakfast, Lunch and Supper, they were getting pretty petrified and kid was getting pretty hungry (had lost a few #)) He only got water till they were gone.
For FOUR days you fed a little child nothing but (in your words) petrified green beans and water? Why? To prove a point? To win a power struggle?

You fed a little defenseless toddler the same beans over and over? I am stunned beyond belief that this is something you would share as if it's a good thing.

I don't care how poor you are or what your reasoning is. You don't feed the same 4-day old food over and over again to a little kid. You just don't.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-26-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 04:37 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
I never forced my kids to try anything. However, the school they went to had a different rule, all kids had to take a bite of everything on the tray.

My daughter would routinely take the requisite bites, and vomit about ten minutes later. They stopped making her take bites of anything.

What is interesting, is there are some foods I cannot stand, like Jello, I have never made it at home. I have one child who likes Jello, and the others don't. Is that environmental or hereditary?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 PM

5,385 posts, read 3,869,971 times
I was a picky eater kid. My Mother was a health nut. My parents forced me to eat food I didn't like and dinner time was like a war zone. I hated it. It affected me negatively where when I had control over my own eating habits I refused to eat the foods I had been forced to eat and became a junk food junkie.
Luckily, as I got older my tastes changed and now as an adult I eat pretty much anything, healthy foods, but to this day the sight of a baked chicken leg will make me nauseated because that was one thing I was forced to eat as a kid.
I had two picky eater kids. I did not force them to eat anything they did not like. I had one who lived on cereal, cheese and toast until she was in high school. She was never, ever sick and had many years of perfect attendance awards from school. They are adults now and their tastes changed too and now they eat pretty much anything
So to the OP; don't worry, your kid will probably grow out of his pickiness as he gets older.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am going to say something really unpopular. And I mean no direct offense to you. But it seems to me that "texture issues", "smells wrong" (aside from rot) and "sensory issues" is a often a load of rot, just another I don't like it thing. Our species would have died out with "sensory issues" long since. I don't get the inability to eat things one "doesn't like" as if food is not sometimes just sustenance.

But that is me.

We live in a time of massive excess that permits things that would never matter to matter. I am thinking Frank McCourt would have gotten over his "sensory issues" and teaching our kids to cater to these issues is not in their best interest in the event that they ever find themselves in challenging life situations.

Could I eat beans or peas if they were the only thing around? I'm sure I'd choke it down and survive. But we DO live with other choices available, and there's no reason to make myself gag through a meal just to prove I can. I'm also sure I could eat dog or cat meat if the other choice was starving. I'm still not going to butcher my cat tomorrow in preparation should that day ever come.

Foods taste different to different people. My parents both love fried green tomatoes. To me they taste exactly the same as stomach bile. I can't imagine how anyone can eat that, they can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love it. The solution? They eat them, I don't.

For some foods there is a genetic competent. Cilantro tastes like soap to me. I lack an enzyme required to break it down, hence the very soapy taste. To someone who has the enzyme it taste more like parsley. Neither of us is 'wrong' when we describe how it tastes. For ages I really couldn't understand how anyone could eat the stuff...it was a relief to learn that there is a genetic issue there and that I wasn't crazy for thinking it tasted like Dawn.

Genetically, I have a better sense of smell than many people. Smell plays a huge role in taste. Because I can smell things you might not be able, I may taste something very different when we sit down to eat the same meal. Again, neither of us is wrong.

Some of us have foods that due to texture or smell we really can't handle. But EVERYONE has foods they just flat out don't like. I'm really not sure why adults are allowed this, but children are not. I'm all for making kids try something, even several times over, but I'm not for forcing them to eat something that tastes really does taste bad to them.

Tastes also do change over time. I hated mushrooms as a kid. Flat out hated them. Now I eat them with almost every meal- expect there are certain mushrooms that taste like a big old mouthful of dirt to me. So I cook with the ones that to me taste good. Does that affect anyone else or prevent me from doing well...anything? Nope, so why fuss?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:34 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
Wow! I just read about the parent who made his child eat four day old green beans. What is with that? That is plain wrong in my opinion. What did it accomplish? That you can deny food from a child until they bend to your will? Did it teach the child a "lesson"?

Wow. And my kids thought I was mean for giving them eat a bowl of cereal for dinner, instead of making them macaroni and cheese.

I don't see a point in having children go hungry.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM

51,245 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Could I eat beans or peas if they were the only thing around? I'm sure I'd choke it down and survive. But we DO live with other choices available, and there's no reason to make myself gag through a meal just to prove I can. I'm also sure I could eat dog or cat meat if the other choice was starving. I'm still not going to butcher my cat tomorrow in preparation should that day ever come.

Foods taste different to different people. My parents both love fried green tomatoes. To me they taste exactly the same as stomach bile. I can't imagine how anyone can eat that, they can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love it. The solution? They eat them, I don't.

For some foods there is a genetic competent. Cilantro tastes like soap to me. I lack an enzyme required to break it down, hence the very soapy taste. To someone who has the enzyme it taste more like parsley. Neither of us is 'wrong' when we describe how it tastes. For ages I really couldn't understand how anyone could eat the stuff...it was a relief to learn that there is a genetic issue there and that I wasn't crazy for thinking it tasted like Dawn.

Genetically, I have a better sense of smell than many people. Smell plays a huge role in taste. Because I can smell things you might not be able, I may taste something very different when we sit down to eat the same meal. Again, neither of us is wrong.

Some of us have foods that due to texture or smell we really can't handle. But EVERYONE has foods they just flat out don't like. I'm really not sure why adults are allowed this, but children are not. I'm all for making kids try something, even several times over, but I'm not for forcing them to eat something that tastes really does taste bad to them.

Tastes also do change over time. I hated mushrooms as a kid. Flat out hated them. Now I eat them with almost every meal- expect there are certain mushrooms that taste like a big old mouthful of dirt to me. So I cook with the ones that to me taste good. Does that affect anyone else or prevent me from doing well...anything? Nope, so why fuss?
The bolded above is really interesting. I like cilantro, although I wouldn't say it tastes like parsley. It has its own taste, but doesn't taste like soap to me, either.

Not sure how you know what Dawn tastes like, though.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:08 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The bolded above is really interesting. I like cilantro, although I wouldn't say it tastes like parsley. It has its own taste, but doesn't taste like soap to me, either.

Not sure how you know what Dawn tastes like, though.
Try giving a bath to a greasy cat who doesn't want a bath. Soap tends to fly EVERYWHERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting