U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 11,662,342 times
Reputation: 4039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
It's just a term used for a younger person. I get called "kid" by a couple people I work with because I happen to be younger. I don't think people actually thought the guy was a child incapable of making decisions.
I don't think they thought that, either. However, when you assign a "name" to something/someone, you tend to look at it that way.

The "kid" made a wittle boo boo and shouldn't be punished.

The "drunk" was behind the wheel of a car and could have killed someone.

See the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 PM
 
7,497 posts, read 9,280,426 times
Reputation: 7394
It's sad but true; infantilizing adults is part of the reason many won't try to grow up these days. What's sad is that the world doesn't realize how bad it is. It may seem harmless to call young adults "kids" when they act as such or simply seem like "kids" because they're younger, but it does it's share of harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
 
1,369 posts, read 1,728,024 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's sad but true; infantilizing adults is part of the reason many won't try to grow up these days. What's sad is that the world doesn't realize how bad it is. It may seem harmless to call young adults "kids" when they act as such or simply seem like "kids" because they're younger, but it does it's share of harm.
I agree completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
3,388 posts, read 3,227,273 times
Reputation: 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's sad but true; infantilizing adults is part of the reason many won't try to grow up these days. What's sad is that the world doesn't realize how bad it is. It may seem harmless to call young adults "kids" when they act as such or simply seem like "kids" because they're younger, but it does it's share of harm.
I disagree that language is even marginally related to this. Words have exactly as much power as one gives them; it is possible to over think colloquialisms. And this opinion from someone who spends a lot of time thinking about words.

To the OP: good for you on pushing for serious consequences on the jury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Reputation: 11008
I think this is being over thought, just a tad.

It's really just a figure of speech, like calling someone "that guy" or "that dude" - when you get older, it's just a term you use for people a lot younger than you, which really doesn't mean anything more than calling someone a guy because they're male.

Calling someone a "kid" just points out the generational difference, it doesn't mean you think they're child-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 AM
 
1,369 posts, read 1,728,024 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think this is being over thought, just a tad.

It's really just a figure of speech, like calling someone "that guy" or "that dude" - when you get older, it's just a term you use for people a lot younger than you, which really doesn't mean anything more than calling someone a guy because they're male.

Calling someone a "kid" just points out the generational difference, it doesn't mean you think they're child-like.
Funny that you mentioned child like because one juror did say those exact words.

My point is, this guy was twenty seven years old and in for his second DUI. He may act like a kid, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a legal adult who should be making more responsible decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 AM
 
5,210 posts, read 8,811,221 times
Reputation: 5865
I sometimes refer to 20 somethings as "kids" (not to be confused with "child") when I'm talking to other middle aged or older people. People in their 20's not only seem young to me, they are young compared to me!

It doesn't mean that I don't hold them responsible for their own actions, though. A 27 year old on his second DUI needs to wake up and take responsibility for himself/his problems before somebody gets killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Funny that you mentioned child like because one juror did say those exact words.

My point is, this guy was twenty seven years old and in for his second DUI. He may act like a kid, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a legal adult who should be making more responsible decisions.
I understand your point. But you're talking about two separate things. If they said "Well, he's only 27, he's too young to know any better, he's just a kid" then I agree with you.

If they called him a kid because they're a lot older, then that's just a figure of speech and it doesn't necessarily follow that they don't hold him responsible for his actions because of his age.

When older people call the younger generation kids, it doesn't mean they don't think of them as legal adults.

You can turn it around, people will often praise the actions of younger people by saying "Good work, kid" or "I'm proud of you, kid".

Gawd, my response to this has me feeling like I'm Katherine Hepburn in On Golden Pond or maybe that's Humphrey Bogart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 AM
 
Location: North America
14,212 posts, read 9,619,135 times
Reputation: 5534
I'm near 26 still live at home and don't pay my own bills, though i am going to college and do pitch in around the house. But because of that i think it would be fair to still call me a kid, or at least not an adult yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 3,917,515 times
Reputation: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I understand your point. But you're talking about two separate things. If they said "Well, he's only 27, he's too young to know any better, he's just a kid" then I agree with you.

If they called him a kid because they're a lot older, then that's just a figure of speech and it doesn't necessarily follow that they don't hold him responsible for his actions because of his age.
I was thinking, too, if they didn't want to prosecute because "This kid has his whole life ahead of him" - if they were older, then they could easily see it like that. 27 IS young in some ways, even to me. Not that he's not old enough to take responsibility, but they didn't want to see his entire life ruined. It would be different if he was 57. If they believed he was remorseful, and wouldn't do this again (though with two incidences, unfortunately, it's likely he will), I can see that reasoning.

I don't think I'd agree with it, but I can see "kid" used in that context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top