U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 AM

5,970 posts, read 6,412,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Not choosing to put your child on the bus, and having fear driven by anecdotes are 2 different things. All people in law enforcement see terrible things. Next time ask them for statistics on stranger vs. known perpetrators.

And statistically a child has a far greater possibility of being assaulted by a coach, step-father, uncle, scout master, priest than a stranger on a bus.
Itd be more likely that his math teacher would end up in jail for trying to hookup with him than it would be to get molested on a bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
I would just like to add that while some here are making the point that children are at a low risk for crimes by a stranger, there are circumstances where those risks go up. In other words, most children are limited in their exposure to the outside world, spending their days with an immediate circle of family, friends, teachers, coaches, etc. Sadly, this is when most are preyed upon. But when you take a child out of that situation and into an unfamiliar one, without adult supervision, then the risk goes up exponentially IMO, and that's what I think some of the concerned parents where trying to say.
Statistics prove otherwise.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,700,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Here is one that cannot engender controversy! My 11 yo is going on a trip with G'ma. I live in New England (smallish states compared to say Montana...) He needs to get from us to one state over on a Wednesday evening. I have to work the next day.

Would you send an 11 yo boy on bus alone? I am worried that he won't get off the bus. If he is engrossed in his DS or a book, he is lost to the world.

DH says get him a phone and have it alarm at about the scheduled arrival time.

Thoughts?
Oh sure, send him on the bus alone. If he gets engrossed in his book, lost to the world, and ends up in Chicago, well....that's just a natural consequence for his not paying attention. The next time he rides the bus, he'll pay closer attention, won't he? Well, IF nothing horrible happens to him, that is.

Sorry....that wasn't very helpful. I'm with the others on just how long the bus ride was going to be. I would also check the policy of the bus line. Perhaps the bus driver will be alerted to the fact that this 11 year old child is traveling alone and will ensure that he reaches his destination safely. Personally....being the protective parent that I am, I would never have sent my 11 yr old child on a "public" bus alone. I would have figured out how to transport him myself or with another trusted source.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM

24,483 posts, read 28,860,837 times
Statistically kids may be more likely to be molested by a family member, friend, or teacher, or whatever. That doesn't mean it can't happen in a bus station full of strangers. Remember that poor kid in New York who just wanted to be independent enough to walk to school by himself? Yes, it was an isolated incident, but it DOES happen. I don't think it is wrong to be concerned about it.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
I would just like to add that while some here are making the point that children are at a low risk for crimes by a stranger, there are circumstances where those risks go up. In other words, most children are limited in their exposure to the outside world, spending their days with an immediate circle of family, friends, teachers, coaches, etc. Sadly, this is when most are preyed upon. But when you take a child out of that situation and into an unfamiliar one, without adult supervision, then the risk goes up exponentially IMO, and that's what I think some of the concerned parents where trying to say.
Well said. I agree.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Statistically kids may be more likely to be molested by a family member, friend, or teacher, or whatever. That doesn't mean it can't happen in a bus station full of strangers. Remember that poor kid in New York who just wanted to be independent enough to walk to school by himself? Yes, it was an isolated incident, but it DOES happen. I don't think it is wrong to be concerned about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Well said. I agree.
I don't think anyone is saying a parent should not be savvy and aware. It's all about knowing real risk, and educating your children accordingly.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,159,000 times
Part of knowing the real risk is understanding what LVKim said about the statistics. Molestation by a stranger is very rare in part because kids are rarely put into situations where they are alone with strangers. Children have been molested by strangers on crowded buses and crowded airplanes. It may not be common but it happens. Like, RKB said, I don't think there is anything wrong with having concerns and expressing those concerns.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM

20,010 posts, read 10,672,094 times
Absolutely not. That's all.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,351,828 times
FWIW I take the mega bus occasionally around the North East. If you take an afternoon bus it's less crowded than the morning bus. I would say if you are going for under 2 hours it wouldnt be an issue. over 2 hours there are usually stops.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Part of knowing the real risk is understanding what LVKim said about the statistics. Molestation by a stranger is very rare in part because kids are rarely put into situations where they are alone with strangers. Children have been molested by strangers on crowded buses and crowded airplanes.
I don't think the bolded is true at all. Childen have less access to strangers today because parents keep their children closer than previous generations. Yet the prevelence of molestation by strangers hasn't gone done since parents have become more protective.

A big part of molestation is gaining trust and grooming the victim. That's why it's usually not strangers. Relatives, friends, neighbors and trusted leaders have continual contact to act out their twisted plan. Strangers don't have that type of time in random situations. While there are pedofiles who molest suddenly, similar to stranger rapists, they are less common than the molestors who gain their pleasure via gaining trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting