U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times

Advertisements

For the most part, I'm not interested in getting parenting advice from a non-parent. There have been a couple of exceptions in this forum, but over all, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:20 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
For the most part, I'm not interested in getting parenting advice from a non-parent. There have been a couple of exceptions in this forum, but over all, no thanks.
I go by the quality of advice and its bearing to the topic at hand. I've read some posts from non-parents here that offer wonderful, smart advice and I'm impressed by the poster and make a point to read their responses. And I've read posts that are nothing more than details of a poster's personal life that add nothing to the discussion at hand IMHO.

I am very interested in the former and not at all interested in the latter. (Thankfully I know how to scroll past the posts I don't want to read. I'd like to thank the inventor of the little arrow thingy.)

Also not too crazy about the "I will never" posts from non-parents. Probably because I said "I will never" before I had children. If I could go back in time I'd kick myself in the bum for being such a dummkopf.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-29-2011 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If I see someone whose kids are doing well, I tend to listen to that parent MORE. I wonder when parenting became a competition sport.
Sometimes you just need to hear the voice of experience - someone who has been there, done that and knows first hand what you're dealing with. It's nice to have a little commiseration from your fellow troops in the trenches.

At the same time, people who don't have kids might have a simpler, more clear cut (and non-competitive) perspective on your parenting problems. You find yourself wondering "Now, why didn't I think of that?"

Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,246,618 times
[quote=springfieldva;22314564]Sometimes you just need to hear the voice of experience - someone who has been there, done that and knows first hand what you're dealing with. It's nice to have a little commiseration from your fellow troops in the trenches.
/quote]

Commiseration and advice are two completely different things.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,951,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sometimes you just need to hear the voice of experience - someone who has been there, done that and knows first hand what you're dealing with. It's nice to have a little commiseration from your fellow troops in the trenches.

At the same time, people who don't have kids might have a simpler, more clear cut (and non-competitive) perspective on your parenting problems. You find yourself wondering "Now, why didn't I think of that?"
Not to mention - some of yous might want to put on some steel toes here - that parents often fail or refuse to research things the further along they go. People who are about to become parents are more likely to read on the most recent updates to effective parenting than people who have been parents for a year, who are more likely to do so than those who have been parents for three years, etc. As your confidence grows, so does your complacency.

To be fair, though, being busy has a lot to do with it too. Easier to assume you know what you're doing, or go with the first solution you can think of, than to look up what those arrogant little "professionals" say

Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM

399 posts, read 720,771 times
Non-parents tend to be pretty liberal. Afterall they haven't been in the trenches with the kid(s) 24/7. If they were it may perhaps change their entire outlook. I never took advice from anyone because I knew by instinct I was doing a pretty good job of it myself. Sometimes I would listen to my parents but again-very liberal as they were now grandparents. Any aunt, cousin, friend, etc.. who ever tried to give me advice on my 3 kids were obviously not experiencing all that goes along with having a child.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,229,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Not to mention - some of yous might want to put on some steel toes here - that parents often fail or refuse to research things the further along they go. People who are about to become parents are more likely to read on the most recent updates to effective parenting than people who have been parents for a year, who are more likely to do so than those who have been parents for three years, etc. As your confidence grows, so does your complacency.

To be fair, though, being busy has a lot to do with it too. Easier to assume you know what you're doing, or go with the first solution you can think of, than to look up what those arrogant little "professionals" say
Wow. While this may be true of some people, I think you're using a REALLY broad brush here. Some of the more experienced parents here do pipe up with criticisms of blindly following research, IMO, because they also have real-world experience that first time parents of a one-year old do not. They've seen the recommendations from research flip-flop over time. Blindly ignoring or blindly following research probably isn't the most thoughtful approach to parenting, IMO, again. (disclaimer: clinical psych researcher's opinion). That's why it's useful to have a variety of opinions.

To be fair, though, the OP wasn't offering advice as a soon-to-parent who has been researching, but as a non-parent who does not seem to have researched, from what I've read thus far.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,951,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Wow. While this may be true of some people, I think you're using a REALLY broad brush here. Some of the more experienced parents here do pipe up with criticisms of blindly following research, IMO, because they also have real-world experience that first time parents of a one-year old do not. Blindly ignoring or blindly following research probably isn't the most thoughtful approach to parenting, IMO, again. (disclaimer: clinical psych researcher's opinion). That's why it's useful to have a variety of opinions.

To be fair, though, the OP wasn't offering advice as a soon-to-parent who has been researching, but as a non-parent who does not seem to have researched, from what I've read thus far.
Well that's why I use the phrase "more likely". There are exceptions everywhere. But if you told me that just as many older parents (not referring to age, of course) stay apprised of the newest information in parenting as newer parents, I couldn't force myself to believe you.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,229,896 times
Quote:
Well that's why I use the phrase "more likely". There are exceptions everywhere. But if you told me that just as many older parents (not referring to age, of course) stay apprised of the newest information in parenting as newer parents, I couldn't force myself to believe you.
I think either assumption would be just that: an assumption. And you know what they say about those...

Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
Quote:
So, you're talking newer vs older parents, not parents vs non-parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or