U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 AM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,515,673 times
Reputation: 25990

Advertisements

Just make sure you have a plan for your child if a "simple" short flight gets diverted due to weather, or whatever. If you feel like your child cannot take care of him or herself if something like that happened, your child is not ready to travel alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
27,421 posts, read 15,104,592 times
Reputation: 20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No I seriously want some answers.
Back then things were not talked about.
People didn't report things.

So you have to ask yourself, are things actually happening more often or are we just reporting more often?

Back in the 50's women would have never reported a rape and today women are more likely to do so without hesitation.
Back then you didn't have Nancy Grace telling you child predators are around every corner, now people can't go anywhere with their children without wondering if someone is a creeper or not.
People today are expected to report anyone they think is sketchy which results in some innocent people being reported for just being weird.

The word "creeper" is thrown around so easily. People are so easily to call someone a Pedo. Its now even a running joke with "Pedo bear".
Well, I'm no mathmetical genius - but since there are waaay more people now than there were then - it stands to reason that there actually more crazies as well.

Yes, I do think that some of it is that we just didn't know about it as much 30 years ago - but I do think it is more prevalent today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2011, 10:38 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,984,120 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I understand what you are saying; but bluntly IMHO if you (a general 'you' not a specific 'you') don't have the money to properly care for a child, that doesn't give you the right to demand that others take on your responsibility - for free. When people say "Children are expensive" it isn't just the toys and food, it's everything, including divorce arrangements.
It's not free, airlines have an unaccompanied minor fees. I've paid $75 each way for each child. I used to fly my nephews and nieces to spend a month with me. They were always together, oldest being at least 12, no connections, didn't sit next to a stranger, and were dropped off and picked up at the gate, signed in and out by an attendant.(no huge bathrooms with self flushing toilets... Just the gross little bathroom on the plane.)
That being said, now that I have my own kids, there would be no way I would do that with my own kids. But that was pre 9-11, and I have anxiety issues associated with flying now I didn't have then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 AM
 
5,703 posts, read 15,527,735 times
Reputation: 8514
I would never put my young child on a plane alone. That is just me. I have been on planes where young children have flown alone. They seemed seasoned in the effect that they were more clam than my husband.

On a more somber note, I had read that the plane that went down in PA on 9-11 had children on it flying alone. I don't know how many and haven't had much luck in finding that article again, so if I am wrong. I would love to be corrected. I couldnt help but think about those children that had no one with them. I realize things can happen anywhere but I just never liked the idea of a kid flying alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,161,157 times
Reputation: 30264
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
On a more somber note, I had read that the plane that went down in PA on 9-11 had children on it flying alone. I don't know how many and haven't had much luck in finding that article again, so if I am wrong. I would love to be corrected. I couldnt help but think about those children that had no one with them. I realize things can happen anywhere but I just never liked the idea of a kid flying alone.
I live near Shanksville, PA. No minors were on Flight 93.

The youngest passengers were two who were 20 and one that was 21.

Here's the passenger list along with short bios for each passenger.

Flight 93 - Passengers & Crew - Names and Profiles of the 40 Heroes of United Flight 93

Whatever you read, it wasn't Flight 93. Maybe they were just talking about the 20 year old college students.

Eight minors were passengers on the other flights that day. Don't know yet if any where uncompanied. Checking.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-25-2011 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 12:55 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,161,157 times
Reputation: 30264
8 minor passengers died that day.

On American Flight 77, one (3 year old) was with his parents.

4 (11 year olds) were heading to a National Geographic field trip in California. They were accompanied by a teacher.

AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT 77 PASSENGERS

On United Flight 175, there were 3 minors (ages 2, 3, & 4). All accompanied by parents.

No minors were on Flights 11 or 93.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 12:56 AM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,515,673 times
Reputation: 25990
I am just appalled at how cavalier parents are about putting a six year old child on a plane alone to visit "Daddy", or "Grandma".

Most people don't like to check luggage, because they think an airline will lose the bag. But they think nothing of sending "Jennifer" on a flight from LAX to NYC, with a two hour layover and plane change in Chicago. Does that make any sense? You have no clue who will be in charge of your child. And yet, people don't seem to process this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 02:04 AM
 
5,703 posts, read 15,527,735 times
Reputation: 8514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I live near Shanksville, PA. No minors were on Flight 93.

The youngest passengers were two who were 20 and one that was 21.

Here's the passenger list along with short bios for each passenger.

Flight 93 - Passengers & Crew - Names and Profiles of the 40 Heroes of United Flight 93

Whatever you read, it wasn't Flight 93. Maybe they were just talking about the 20 year old college students.

Eight minors were passengers on the other flights that day. Don't know yet if any where uncompanied. Checking.
Thanks Hopes. I feel better. Not dismissing how awful the whole thing was, I was deeply affected by 9-11 as most of us were but I had read about children flying alone and it always bothered me. Obviously misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,179 posts, read 9,131,570 times
Reputation: 9523
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No I seriously want some answers.
Back then things were not talked about.
People didn't report things.

So you have to ask yourself, are things actually happening more often or are we just reporting more often?

Back in the 50's women would have never reported a rape and today women are more likely to do so without hesitation.
Back then you didn't have Nancy Grace telling you child predators are around every corner, now people can't go anywhere with their children without wondering if someone is a creeper or not.
People today are expected to report anyone they think is sketchy which results in some innocent people being reported for just being weird.

The word "creeper" is thrown around so easily. People are so easily to call someone a Pedo. Its now even a running joke with "Pedo bear".
I think that a societal 'acceptance' of these things has also made them more apparent.

A man who raped a woman in the 30's and 40's would be hung from the nearest tree - sometimes without a trial. Someone who molested other peoples' children would get a "beat-down" - often to death - again, sometimes without a trial. There wasn't much news coverage of those things, they were simply accepted. Of course, back then 'perversion' wasn't a "sickness" that counselors tried to treat - it was something that no one wanted to admit to or tolerate next door or at the grocery store. In smaller communities it is still done that way - again, no one talks about it. A pervert who was stalking my teenage daughter did it boldly, even told the police who accosted him tresspassing in our yard at 1 AM that my daughter 'wanted it' - and the police said that nothing could be done. So a group of very large firefighter buddies went to his house, and let him know that if he came near my daughter again, only the alligators would know where he was. We never saw or heard from him again... of course he probably found another unprotected teen to harass.

Point is that we excuse and excuse and try to cure or fix or help these "poor people" - and they will cheerfully manipulate the system to get whatever, whomever they want in whatever context they choose - and then deny that they are doing anything wrong, while people look the other way for all sorts of reasons. If you want proof, watch the Sandusky trial unfold... people like this are manipulators, and know full well how to manipulate not only employees but employers, the cops, their neighbors and business associates, as well as their victims. What would have happened if, say, that assistant coach who finally had a crisis of conscience had, instead of walking away, picked up a baseball bat and frammed Sandusky a few times, then called the cops? He would have been fired for not following procedure, and prosecuted for assault...

We allow these monsters to walk among us without repercussion, heaping sympathy and help upon them, and then insist that it is overreaction to try to protect our kids from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,251,791 times
Reputation: 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanks Hopes. I feel better. Not dismissing how awful the whole thing was, I was deeply affected by 9-11 as most of us were but I had read about children flying alone and it always bothered me. Obviously misinformation.
Would 911 victims be any less dead if their parents were with them? I am missing this part of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top