U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,364,337 times
Reputation: 8956

Advertisements

I would write a detailed letter to CPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 24,673,685 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I would write a detailed letter to CPS.

http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/wp-cont...ll-300x300.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Kansas City Metro
203 posts, read 414,060 times
Reputation: 661
Any updates Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,376,613 times
Reputation: 1070
I spoke with the detective and they are in the process of getting the warrant to search the home. They said they went to speak with Mom and Step Dad but no one answered the door. (figures) I also contacted the school but since they are out for winter break the secretary said to call once the Guidance Counsler is back.

I also called the number Dew gave me and the rep on the line said that at this point i've done all that I can do and the only thing I can do is continue to follow through keep calling the school kepp calling the detectives and keep calling CPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,305,546 times
Reputation: 5427
For future reference:

When a child tells you they have been molested, call the police, especially if the child is in your care at the time. This does a few things - first and most importantly, it teaches the child that they are being taken seriously. They do not have to fear what is going to happen to them, especially if they are secure with you. The police and CPS will not remove a child from a situation (especially if the child is with family) where they are safe, until the investigation has begun and AFTER the child has been spoken to.

The police will bring in CPS, but they don't wait - they take immediate action. CPS can have up to 72 hours to respond to a situation they see as not being immediately life threatening. CPS responds quicker also if brought in by the police, rather than by a caller (don't ever make a call anonymously if you want to be taken seriously, btw).


If you call CPS, and they go to the child's home, the child may fear what is going to happen to them and where they will end up. When a child won't speak up (this is normal for a child being abused and then questioned in the same location as the abuse occurred) the police and CPS have no choice generally but to leave the child there - which gives the abuser and enablers a chance to wreak further havoc on the child.

I have had some experience with this myself. Once, as the abused child. Second, with my cousin's child and finally with my own daughter. Predictably, I was too scared as a child to confirm what had been called in. With my cousin's son, he was also left in the home (I lived 1500 miles away at the time, wasn't believed, caused a HUGE rift in the family - I called CPS when I was told, but by the time they got there, he'd been sent back to his father's home) because he was too afraid to admit what happened.

The CPS case worker advised me what to do if it happened again. By then, I'd been shut out of his life though. When my dd was molested, I knew just what to do. I felt unsure and scared myself, but so furious!!!

Good luck to those affected by abuse still... I hope this thread will give you an idea of the actions you should take when confronted by this in the future. I'm sorry I can't help you OP... I hope your cousin will someday turn to you in the future when she's older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
 
Location: North America
14,212 posts, read 9,611,695 times
Reputation: 5534
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I spoke with the detective and they are in the process of getting the warrant to search the home. They said they went to speak with Mom and Step Dad but no one answered the door. (figures) I also contacted the school but since they are out for winter break the secretary said to call once the Guidance Counsler is back.

I also called the number Dew gave me and the rep on the line said that at this point i've done all that I can do and the only thing I can do is continue to follow through keep calling the school kepp calling the detectives and keep calling CPS.

Chances are him doing what he does he has things on his computer that will force him out of the house one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,376,613 times
Reputation: 1070
I completely forgot to update you guys! So sorry! So we got the warrant. They serched and didnt find much. They founf a few pics of her in a bikini but said that wasnt enough. So then the detectives talked to my little cousin alone and told her that she has people in her corner and no matter what happens they will do their best to protect her ect and she burst into tears and told them what she told me. YAY!!!!!!! I was so happy words cant begin to explain. So they removed her and contacted Grandma (on dads side) explained the situation and she has temp custody. I spoke with her Dad and he seemed to want custody. So now all I can do is hope that they dont give custody back to her mom. I went to see her this past Saturday and while she is very emotional she says she feels alot safer. Thanks for all your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: North America
14,212 posts, read 9,611,695 times
Reputation: 5534
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I completely forgot to update you guys! So sorry! So we got the warrant. They serched and didnt find much. They founf a few pics of her in a bikini but said that wasnt enough. So then the detectives talked to my little cousin alone and told her that she has people in her corner and no matter what happens they will do their best to protect her ect and she burst into tears and told them what she told me. YAY!!!!!!! I was so happy words cant begin to explain. So they removed her and contacted Grandma (on dads side) explained the situation and she has temp custody. I spoke with her Dad and he seemed to want custody. So now all I can do is hope that they dont give custody back to her mom. I went to see her this past Saturday and while she is very emotional she says she feels alot safer. Thanks for all your advice!

Chances are they won't given the situation. But it's good that she finally told and got out of that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Reputation: 26822
What is wrong with granndpa. The guy has not met a mysterious demise yet? Odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,376,613 times
Reputation: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What is wrong with granndpa. The guy has not met a mysterious demise yet? Odd.
Im lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top