U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times

Advertisements

Also, it's assumed that the OP is smart enough not to go running to try quack treatments that have been discounted and warned against by the FDA for either doing nothing at all, or creating even more problems, just because she read someone's suggestion on the internet.

OP: Your daughter has recurring infections of a variety of types. Her body's immunity is obviously out of whack. The immunologist will be able to define "out of whack" as it pertains to your daughter. That is when you'll know best what to do about it.

However, I would agree that reducing known/suspected toxins is probably a good idea. Example: burger king cheeseburgers don't cause infection. But regular, daily consumption of them, plus a large fry and medium coke, and an apple pie, every day, could be creating an unhealthy digestive system. And -that- can trigger unhealthy immune responses.

So using that example - no fast food.
Dairy and sugar definitely -do- both have an effect on the bacteria in your digestive system so if she's experiencing digestive disorders of any kind, she should cut out the dairy and sugar for awhile.

But, the most important thing, is to have the immunologist see how she is now, before you try anything to fix it. Because if she is temporarily "just fine" because of your adjustments, the immunologist won't find anything, and then it could easily flare up the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But, the most important thing, is to have the immunologist see how she is now, before you try anything to fix it. Because if she is temporarily "just fine" because of your adjustments, the immunologist won't find anything, and then it could easily flare up the next day.
Good point! Trying to boost her immune system now could prevent the doctor from diagnosing her. Just giving a boost won't cure her. It would just mask the symptoms, not solve the problem. The OP's daughter needs a diagnosis, not a boost. Not yet.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, it's assumed that the OP is smart enough not to go running to try quack treatments that have been discounted and warned against by the FDA for either doing nothing at all, or creating even more problems, just because she read someone's suggestion on the internet.

OP: Your daughter has recurring infections of a variety of types. Her body's immunity is obviously out of whack. The immunologist will be able to define "out of whack" as it pertains to your daughter. That is when you'll know best what to do about it.

However, I would agree that reducing known/suspected toxins is probably a good idea. Example: burger king cheeseburgers don't cause infection. But regular, daily consumption of them, plus a large fry and medium coke, and an apple pie, every day, could be creating an unhealthy digestive system. And -that- can trigger unhealthy immune responses.

So using that example - no fast food.
Dairy and sugar definitely -do- both have an effect on the bacteria in your digestive system so if she's experiencing digestive disorders of any kind, she should cut out the dairy and sugar for awhile.

I agree. I would not start eliminating anything from a diet until you see the doctor. Conditions like Celiac's would give you a false reading on tests if you didn't eat gluten for a few weeks before the test, for example.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,751,187 times
Thank you all for your insights and advice. Of course, we are seeing a Dr. regarding all of this, but I also have found that physicians tend to "mainstream" ideas and don't always look outside the box if there is something unusual happening. I have received several ideas that warrant further testing or looking into - and that was the whole reason for presenting the idea here on CD .

Thank you all who responded - advice is always appreciated.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
I am so sorry your daughter is sick. No matter how old they are it is difficult to see them sick. I hope she recovers quickly.

One thing you said that caught my eye is the elevated white count. My son was recently hospitalized with encephalitis (yikes). He presented immediately following a football game and had symptoms that EVERYONE thought looked like a concussion. However, when he got to the hospital the doctors did a tox screen (negative) and white blood count. When the white blood count came back elevated the doctor immediately started looking for an infection. They did a number of invasive procedures to diagnose his infection, which can lead to permanent brain injury.

I would advise you to press the doctor on the elevated white blood count. Every infection, no matter how rare should be considered. My son had an infection that affects on in 200,000 people in the US so it is fairly rare. Your daughter may have some underlying infection that is also rare.

I hope she is back to full health soon.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:32 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,379,685 times
Autoimmune disorder.

Thats what my dentist urged me to look into when I presented with mouth sores and mono.
Some nasty chick at work had mono and would drink out of my cup and when I got the mono I got an outbreak of canker sores so bad I had to go into the dentist to get something for it.

He told my mom to look into autoimmune disorders, we never did but that can always be the case especially if she's now all of a sudden getting sick all the time.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,327,150 times
How is her diet ? Fast food, refined sugar and white flour are all garbage and real fresh vegetables and fruit can't be replaced by vitamins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting