U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:22 AM

37,839 posts, read 39,239,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Seriously?? WHY?? What religion are they?
Why are you surprised?

Quite a few demoninations believe Catholics will go to Hell because they view the Catholic Church as a cult.

AND many Catholics believe anyone who isn't Catholic will go to Hell.

It's all nutty.

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:29 AM

45,754 posts, read 29,951,485 times
Yes I would be disappointed. The only thing is that people will often go through a time of experimentation with other beliefs but return to their faith, so I would always have home they would come back.

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:35 AM

11,614 posts, read 4,763,427 times
My father was an atheist, my mother confused. We went to church a handful of times growing up. My family always respected the beliefs of others, except extremists.

DH is agnostic, and I am atheist. We have friends of many and varied faiths, and our children have many positive role-models of different faiths. We take them to different places of worship, and different religious celebrations. We have tried to expose them to different points of view, but help them make the choice for themselves. Extremism would bother me, but their spiritual path is theirs to follow.

A few years ago both of the children decided they were Christian, and now attend a youth ministry at a local Methodist church along with some friends.

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:35 AM

25,374 posts, read 16,948,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why are you surprised?

Quite a few demoninations believe Catholics will go to Hell because they view the Catholic Church as a cult.

It's all nutty.
Yes, I didn't get why the poster was surprised, either. There are people who hand out pamphlets outside of Catholics churches "explaining" why they are going to hell.

And yes, there are Catholics who believe that theirs is the only true church.

If anyone read Frank McCourt's memoir, Angela's Ashes, about growing up poor in Ireland, there's an amusing part where he and his brother are watching the pretty Protestant girls and wondering how they can be so carefree knowing that they are Doomed.

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:37 AM

25,374 posts, read 16,948,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My father was an atheist, my mother confused. We went to church a handful of times growing up. My family always respected the beliefs of others, except extremists.

DH is agnostic, and I am atheist. We have friends of many and varied faiths, and our children have many positive role-models of different faiths. We take them to different places of worship, and different religious celebrations. We have tried to expose them to different points of view, but help them make the choice for themselves. Extremism would bother me, but their spiritual path is theirs to follow.

A few years ago both of the children decided they were Christian, and now attend a youth ministry at a local Methodist church along with some friends.
Zimbochick--that first sentence would make a great opening line to a story!

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:38 AM

388 posts, read 367,011 times
I was raised a catholic but I am a Buddhist, my children have been raised around other beliefs and have come to know them, I leave it up to them to decide what is right for them.
My Daughter believes in nothing without proof, my son is leaning to Christianity and thats fine with me.

Unread 12-24-2011, 07:39 AM

11,614 posts, read 4,763,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Zimbochick--that first sentence would make a great opening line to a story!
Haha! And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Unread 12-24-2011, 08:09 AM

5,300 posts, read 2,610,613 times
I'm a closed minded agnostic.
If someone can PROVE to me, then ok MAYBE but its going to take a lot to prove to me and I grew up in the bible belt so have fun getting to to believe anything after the nonsense I've heard.
But I will be raising my kids, athiest/agnostic, I don't plan on going to church or anything and if they start to believe in anything...like another poster said...I want them to question and requestion and analyize till they are blue in the face and make sure its something they truly believe before they commit to anything.

Unread 12-24-2011, 08:27 AM

20,483 posts, read 27,298,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why are you surprised?

It's all nutty.
I have honestly NEVER heard that people thought the Catholic Church is a cult. I also have grown up in the land of Catholics and Lutherans so that might be why. I'm really curious which "religions" think this. The Catholic Church DOES NOT believe that other denominations will go to hell. Some people calling themselves Catholic might but the formal teaching of the church does not. It's really funny because the Catholic church IS the first Christian religion and most other mainstream religions are off-shoots of the Catholic church.

So, how are we a cult?

Unread 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM

2,220 posts, read 1,855,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The Catholic Church DOES NOT believe that other denominations will go to hell.
I grew up Catholic, and attended catechism classes because I went to a public school. In the late '50's/early '60's, the nuns would tell us that if you weren't Catholic, you wouldn't go to heaven. This went over REAL well with my mother because my father wasn't Catholic (he was a non-practicing Lutheran).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.