Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,229,870 times

Advertisements

Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I practically choked as I read this.
"Women should bear children, not use birth control, and be obedient to their husbands".

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,049,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
She probably believes your damning yourself to Hell if you don't believe, which is why it's hard for her. That's the same reason it's such a problem for my family. Most of my family believes that Catholics are going to Hell, so they are worried for my soul. I also think they believe I converted just for my husband's family. Is it hard on me that they feel this way? Yes, it is. We just avoid religious talks when possible.
Quote:
They're non-denominational. Most Protestants I know think that Catholics are going straight to Hell because we "worship Mary and saints" and other things.
I don't understand this. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough about catholicism, but it doesn't seem THAT different than protestantism. I don't agree with a lot of catholic beliefs, but I've never thought they were going to hell. (I'm Lutheran)

I would rather my kids choose to be a "moderate" in any faith than a super fundamentalist of any faith, including Christianity.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,063,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't understand this. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough about catholicism, but it doesn't seem THAT different than protestantism. I don't agree with a lot of catholic beliefs, but I've never thought they were going to hell. (I'm Lutheran)

I would rather my kids choose to be a "moderate" in any faith than a super fundamentalist of any faith, including Christianity.
It has to do with many things including the Pope, the Catholic view of Mary, the Catholic view of saints, and other things. Many in my extended family are those who subscribe to the belief that the position of the Pope is going to be the anti-Christ in the end.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 AM

88,139 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I practically choked as I read this.
"Women should bear children, not use birth control, and be obedient to their husbands".
Thanks for the link. GAG ME NOW.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,063,672 times
Quote:
It has to do with many things including the Pope, the Catholic view of Mary, the Catholic view of saints, and other things. Many in my extended family are those who subscribe to the belief that the position of the Pope is going to be the anti-Christ in the end.
wow! dangerous and scary to believe one's religious indoctrination can pinpoint the leader of another religion as the antichrist----who gave that religion that particular knowledge?????

i am a catholic and a religious education teacher and i have NEVER taught that one religion is better than another---i focus on following God's views of how to live good life(IE__VIA THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)---i honor jesus'life as a practicing jew--and encourage my students to find out for themselves what they can about other God oriented religions

i do caution them about avoiding the hate filled groups that preach extreme negativity towards other religions(under the guise of christianity)

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,134,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
wow! dangerous and scary to believe one's religious indoctrination can pinpoint the leader of another religion as the antichrist----who gave that religion that particular knowledge?????

i am a catholic and a religious education teacher and i have NEVER taught that one religion is better than another---i focus on following God's views of how to live good life(IE__VIA THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)---i honor jesus'life as a practicing jew--and encourage my students to find out for themselves what they can about other God oriented religions
Then you are not teaching the official Catholic doctrine on salvation. "Better than the other" might be summed up as who winds up in hell. Salvation comes through the sacraments.

“In recent years the church has reiterated again and again that we are saved by faith AND the sacraments of faith. BOTH ARE NECESSARY” (J.D. Crichton, Christian Celebration: The Sacraments, p. 65).

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,848 times
My parents were both Jewish when I was born, but after their divorce, I was raised a Cashew. Jewish father, Catholic mother. Both of my parents were verifiably ticked when I chose my own path.

For my daughter, I'm not going to call her derogatory names like my father did to me. I'm not going to guilt trip her like my mother did to me. She is free to choose her own path, because that's what faith and religion should be.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,511,849 times
I think the issue of religious exposure for children is essentially one of sharing traditions and values. I think it serves an important purpose for a child to have a grounding in religion. By that I mean learn and share in what their parents believe and I am including atheism in that, because that is essentially a belief system as well. However, I think children should also be empowered to explore faith on their own and determine what it means to them.

So, religious education, being raised in a religion are both good things in my book, but "indoctrination" is not OK and it is the responsibility of the parent to encourage questions and explorations of belief as well as tolerance for the beliefs of others. In fact, many Christian denomitations view a person questioning their faith as an integral part to developing an understanding of their faith.

I also think there is a large issue where people do not even truly understand and/or study their own faiths. There was a thread on here not too long ago where I mentioned Transubstantiation and its integral part of the Catholic belief system. A person who was a professed Catholic claimed that "Catholic's don't believe that anymore" and that no one rings the bells to signal the Miracle of the Mass these days. Quite a surprising statement that someone who was a professed Catholic did not understand one of the basic tennets of their own faith. I singled that one out, but there are plenty of other examples some just even in this thread.

For instance, I would venture that most people on here have little understanding of the origins of the Catholic and Orthodox Church, the formation of the Anglican Church and its fractures or the origins of the various Protestant denominations. Outside of that history there are very distinct differences between some of the religions in terms of what is considered core doctrine of the faith.

I was raised Lutheran mainly because my Protestant parents liked the roast beef dinners at the local Luthern church more than the ones at the Methodist church and the Lutherans were better bowlers, to them it was about a sense of community more than a faith. My wife was born and raised Catholic complete with a K-12 Catholic education. We married Catholic, baptized the kids Catholic, but have otherwise been exploring other churches as there are aspects of each that we do not agree with.

For example, some people on here stated that you can't take the Bible literally. Well, you're right if you are a Catholic. The Catholic Church does not believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. They believe that the Bible is a guide and source that when mixed with liturgical tradition and interpretation represents the Word of God. However, if you are virtually any Protestant denomination, believing in the literal word of the Bible is a core aspect of Protestantism. You can also see this in the debate over icons, the divinity of Mary and the veneration of Saints between Catholics and Protestants. It is 100% true that in almost all mainstream Protestant religions the use of religious icons is forbidden because the Bible specifically states that the creation of graven images of God or false worship (basically a statue is akin to the "golden calf") are mortal sins. This is why when you walk into most Protestant churches there are no symbols or just a simple cross, sans crucified Christ. The divinity of Mary is also a sticky issue as it is part of Catholic doctrine that Mary is divine and failing to believe that is a violation of the faith. Protestants do not accept the divinity of Mary and see "Mary worship" as being akin to worshipping a false idol. Same thing goes with the saints where praying to them for intercession is basically taking worship away from God. So, while I doubt many Protestant ministers outside of a seminary would state that Catholics are going to hell for believing in the divinity of Mary, praying to saints and having icons, it is essentially their dogmatic belief that they will.

I did not intend to necessarily engage in a religious debate on the parenting forum, I really just wanted to point out that many people don't even know what the dogma of their own professed faith is. To me, it is dangerous if one is going to raise their children in a faith that they do not fully understand what they are professing to believe in and essentially leaving it up to others to interpret and preach to them.

So, in my case my wife and I both view that raising our children with a foundation in our Christian beliefs is important. However, we have both determined that the beliefs of our "home" faiths do not mesh with our personal views and we will not raise our children in a religion that we do not agree with, hence our "trying out" other churches. Non-denominational would work if we could find one that wasn't too evangelical which is hard to do these days. Episcopalean is on the list as well as it sits somewhere between Lutheranism and Catholocism and seems to have done away with most of the things we don't like about each one.

If in the future our children decided to become atheist (I was atheist at one point), Jewish, Muslim, whatever, I will be fine with it. My job is to give them a foundation based on my own values and beliefs and equip them with the ability to ask questions and form their own conclusions.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,947,834 times
This is exactly why I do not plan on bringing my kids up with any particular religions.
Look at all the debating and arguing and stuff that happens between people of different religions.
And then look at religion its self, it basically gives strict guidelines on how to live your life.

My kids nor myself need a religion to make us good people or know right from wrong.
My kids won't commit crimes, be w***es, hurt others etc etc just because they aren't religious but they also won't be bad people just because we're not going to be as conservative as a religious family.
My daughter will be able to wear tank tops, two piece swim suits but it won't make them bad people.

I just don't see how dressing uber conservatively, listening to only religious music and abstaining from anything fun makes you a good person.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,063,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

I also think there is a large issue where people do not even truly understand and/or study their own faiths. There was a thread on here not too long ago where I mentioned Transubstantiation and its integral part of the Catholic belief system. A person who was a professed Catholic claimed that "Catholic's don't believe that anymore" and that no one rings the bells to signal the Miracle of the Mass these days. Quite a surprising statement that someone who was a professed Catholic did not understand one of the basic tennets of their own faith. I singled that one out, but there are plenty of other examples some just even in this thread.
I just want to point out that only one Catholic church I have ever been to rings the bells. It was a small church in Illinois that is very traditional but all others I have been to don't use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.