Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
This is exactly why I do not plan on bringing my kids up with any particular religions.
Look at all the debating and arguing and stuff that happens between people of different religions.
And then look at religion its self, it basically gives strict guidelines on how to live your life.

My kids nor myself need a religion to make us good people or know right from wrong.
My kids won't commit crimes, be w***es, hurt others etc etc just because they aren't religious but they also won't be bad people just because we're not going to be as conservative as a religious family.
My daughter will be able to wear tank tops, two piece swim suits but it won't make them bad people.

I just don't see how dressing uber conservatively, listening to only religious music and abstaining from anything fun makes you a good person.
99% or religious people don't do any of those things.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
99% or religious people don't do any of those things.
I know quite a few "hardcore" religious girls. They won't wear tank tops, they won't drink or smoke, even thought they are old enough, they haven't had sex yet and don't plan on it till marriage.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Then you are not teaching the official Catholic doctrine on salvation. "Better than the other" might be summed up as who winds up in hell. Salvation comes through the sacraments.

“In recent years the church has reiterated again and again that we are saved by faith AND the sacraments of faith. BOTH ARE NECESSARY” (J.D. Crichton, Christian Celebration: The Sacraments, p. 65).
i am totally aware of what catholic doctrine i need to be teaching---and we DO NOT use the term nor focus on how to "attain salvation"--that is an evangelical focus-----we DO NOT focus on being saved--we focus on the commandments,rules of catholic church,the procedure and purpose of mass,and as i said before following God's 10 commandments and living a christian life----we do also read the bible----CATHOLIC MEANS UNIVERSAL--so we never discredit another's religion,nor say our church is the only way to God----those so called Christian groups that do that better read up on God's most important commandment-----so if u r catholic go back and study what jesus has said in his many sermons

Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
I know quite a few "hardcore" religious girls. They won't wear tank tops, they won't drink or smoke, even thought they are old enough, they haven't had sex yet and don't plan on it till marriage.
You need to get out more before you make sweeping generalizations about church goers. Seriously. It is terrifying how ignorant your post was. Girls wear shorts and tank tops TO our church services, if it makes you feel any better.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
I'm atheist. I don't drink or smoke (because it's stupid and risky and unnesscary). I don't wear tank tops because flannel is more comfy. And for the last- I have no plans to have sex. Ever.

So I guess I'm even more conservative than the 'hardcore' religious girls!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My daughter is 19, buys most of her clothing at "Old Navy", "Gap", she went to visit my uber conservative Mother, who called her a "Jezebel Harlot". Needless to say, the visit did not go well. She wanted my daughter to wear some sort of "Little House on the Prairie" outfit.

Oddly enough, my own Mother has never been into religion, but now that she is older, she is OCD about it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My daughter is 19, buys most of her clothing at "Old Navy", "Gap", she went to visit my uber conservative Mother, who called her a "Jezebel Harlot". Needless to say, the visit did not go well. She wanted my daughter to wear some sort of "Little House on the Prairie" outfit.

Oddly enough, my own Mother has never been into religion, but now that she is older, she is OCD about it.
That's how my great grandmother is.
She is VERY conservative, very religious, and it nearly killed her when I came to visit and had NOTHING she would deem appropriate for me to wear.
She HATED my ripped jeans, HATED my shorts, hated the shirts I wore. Which Tennessee in May/June is very hot and humid and all I brought were a few pairs of jeans, mostly ripped, shorts and LOTS AND LOTS of tank tops. Its all I wore. She asked me to change and I showed her what all I brought to wear....she quickly found asking me to change was going to be pointless.
The visit went well despite all that so I know where you are coming from with the older relatives thinking like that.

My grandmother on the other hand is the total opposite, she even BUYS me the clothes I like, where as my great grandmother thinks Hollister is made by satan. Which that and American Eagle is all I wear.

Its funny how across the generations things change so much. My great grandmother is VERY VERY religious and she's baptist, my grandmother is religious too but not as gung ho as my great grandmother, my mom says she's "spiritual" but not necessarily religious and I'm flat out agnostic as well as my brother, which my grandmother knows to a degree and we hide it from my great grandmother.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm atheist. I don't drink or smoke (because it's stupid and risky and unnesscary). I don't wear tank tops because flannel is more comfy. And for the last- I have no plans to have sex. Ever.

So I guess I'm even more conservative than the 'hardcore' religious girls!

This is how I pretty much just reacted.
Its lulzy.

WSASI: Chris Griffin- Whaaaat? - YouTube

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Girls who don't drink or smoke and abstain from sex until marriage? Oh, the horrors!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You need to get out more before you make sweeping generalizations about church goers. Seriously. It is terrifying how ignorant your post was. Girls wear shorts and tank tops TO our church services, if it makes you feel any better.
I agree. She should see how people dress to Mass at most churches these days.

While we have pretty conservative guidelines on dressing, it isn't purely because of religion. We don't smoke or drink, but that has absolutely nothing to do with religion. The whole sex thing involves way more than just religion.

By the way, you don't have to wear short skirts, tank tops, or bikinis to have fun. You don't have to smoke, drink, or sex to have fun, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting