U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times

Advertisements

That political cartoon says to me, that nothing has changed. The artist is saying, "parents will not accept responsibility for their own childrens' educational progress." No matter whether they accuse the teacher of not doing his job, or their child of not doing her job, they are not stepping up and saying, "this is MY job."

I don't think I agree with the cartoon. I think there is a -lot- of problem with parents not taking responsibility for the education of their children. I don't think it is their exclusive responsibility; I believe children are responsible, and so are the teachers. It should be a group effort.

But that is how I interpret the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,383,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That political cartoon says to me, that nothing has changed. The artist is saying, "parents will not accept responsibility for their own childrens' educational progress." No matter whether they accuse the teacher of not doing his job, or their child of not doing her job, they are not stepping up and saying, "this is MY job."

I don't think I agree with the cartoon. I think there is a -lot- of problem with parents not taking responsibility for the education of their children. I don't think it is their exclusive responsibility; I believe children are responsible, and so are the teachers. It should be a group effort.

But that is how I interpret the message.

I actually agree with you.
So many parents wonder why their kids have bad grades but they don't ever really do anything to help the child, whether it be tutoring or helping the child themselves.

My mom wasn't able to help me with my school woek once I hit middle school, especially my math. I never received tutoring, there was peer tutoring but that was pretty crappy, those kids never knew how to explain anything. But there was no one around to help me out, so I ended up not learning all I should have in math.

I know I can help my kids when it comes to history, english, public speaking but when it comes to science and math I will need to get them a tutor if needed. I will make sure they get the assistance needed.

I believe in being an active part of your kids education because its impossible to get anywhere with out a diploma.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/384029_336004159762377_205344452828349_1258945_105 7176552_n.jpg (broken link)
See that little kid in the 1969 picture who was made to feel so terrible about himself grew up to be one of the parents in the 2009 picture and isn't going to do to his kid what was done to him.

Just kidding everyone !! Maybe...

Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,984,310 times
I have several teachers in my family and they struggle with two types of parents:

Type 1 aren't involved at all in their children's schooling. In fact, they expect the schools not only to educate their children, but to feed them, teach them social skills, and provide psychological counseling as well.

Speaking of this type of parent, I was surprised to get a phone call from my daughter's humanities teacher last week. She said she wanted to discuss a report my daughter had written. She had apparently, complimented my daughter on how well-written it was, and my daughter had told her that I had reviewed it and pointed out a few spelling and grammar errors before she handed it in so that she could correct them. Her teacher said that it's very rare for parents to take the time to review their children's homework assignments and that she appreciated my involvement. Are other parents really so busy that they can't take 5 minutes to check their children's homework?

Type 2 are helicopter parents who believe their children are perfectly behaved little geniuses. If they get less than an A on a paper or test, it must be the teacher's fault. If their child is reprimanded, the teacher is picking on him/her.

When I went to school (70s and 80s) teachers were expected to teach. Period. We were expected to learn and to behave respectfully to our teachers and classmates.

It's a whole different ball game now. Soon teachers are going to have to get double majors in education and psychology to get their teaching certification.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,947,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
See that little kid in the 1969 picture who was made to feel so terrible about himself grew up to be one of the parents in the 2009 picture and isn't going to do to his kid what was done to him.

Just kidding everyone !! Maybe...
Well that's why 40-year olds don't need to be having kids.

Just kidding everyone!! Maybe

Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,817,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I have several teachers in my family and they struggle with two types of parents:

Type 1 aren't involved at all in their children's schooling. In fact, they expect the schools not only to educate their children, but to feed them, teach them social skills, and provide psychological counseling as well.

Speaking of this type of parent, I was surprised to get a phone call from my daughter's humanities teacher last week. She said she wanted to discuss a report my daughter had written. She had apparently, complimented my daughter on how well-written it was, and my daughter had told her that I had reviewed it and pointed out a few spelling and grammar errors before she handed it in so that she could correct them. Her teacher said that it's very rare for parents to take the time to review their children's homework assignments and that she appreciated my involvement. Are other parents really so busy that they can't take 5 minutes to check their children's homework?

Type 2 are helicopter parents who believe their children are perfectly behaved little geniuses. If they get less than an A on a paper or test, it must be the teacher's fault. If their child is reprimanded, the teacher is picking on him/her.

When I went to school (70s and 80s) teachers were expected to teach. Period. We were expected to learn and to behave respectfully to our teachers and classmates.

It's a whole different ball game now. Soon teachers are going to have to get double majors in education and psychology to get their teaching certification.
I cannot even imagine why a parent would not go over a child's homework with them. I really think a lot of parents think everything is someone else's responsibility. "Well, I'm paying you...".

Old 12-25-2011, 01:22 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,717,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Some want to blame Dr. Spock and the Self Esteem Movement but I'm not so sure.

I remember when my son was in 2nd grade - he's 30 now- and he got a bad grade on a paper because he did not put his name on the paper but his teacher figured out whose paper it was. She put a note on the paper and sent it home.

At a regularly scheduled conference with teacher and son I thanked her for giving him the lesson of how important it is to follow directions. I told him it was not the responsibility of the teacher to figure out whose paper it was and it made her job so much harder. She burst into tears explaining how unusual it was for a parent to back her up for doing her job. She explained most parents would have debated her about how unfair it was to punish the child for a "simple" mistake. I felt so sorry for her.

Years later she told me when it got really bad and she was so discouraged she would remember how I respected her and taught my child the same.
I can't understand how some parents don't see they are shortchanging their kid's education by always making the teacher the enemy.

Today I have 2 nine year olds in public schools and we are blessed to have a great school system. I'm still trying to teach my kids to respect their teachers and to not blame others for their own shortcomings.
Apparently we are in the minority.
I have a situation right now where two students were talking during a quiz. I gave them both zeros. Their parents complained so I have been instructed to allow both students to retake the quiz becuase grades should reflect ability not whether they were talking during the quiz.... And people wonder why teachers quit.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I cannot even imagine why a parent would not go over a child's homework with them. I really think a lot of parents think everything is someone else's responsibility. "Well, I'm paying you...".
I do not review my children's homework and it has nothing to do with an "I'm paying you..." attitude. My children's education is THEIR job. It's up to them to check for spelling errors and grammar or figure out how they're going to pull a grade up if they don't or if they bomb a test. As far as I'm concerned if I edit their papers before they turn them in, I'm the one who deserves the grade not them. IMO, reviewing their work before they turn it in sends the message that it's someone elses job to see to the detail of them getting the work right. THAT is THIER JOB!!! and they need to realize it is their job. I teach 11th graders and they don't proof their own work. They've been taught that mommy or daddy will do it for them. If I take off points for spelling errors, grammar mistakes, misues of words, incomplete sentences, whatever....I get told I need to grade on content because my class isn't an English class.

I find it very sad that my students don't know to proof their own work but it's not their fault. They were taught that that is someone elses job not theirs by parents who did it for them for years.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

I agree. Either extreme in parenting is bad. As a teacher, it's a nightmare to have to call home in either of these situations. Both kinds are parents you mention here are more likely to blame the teacher than the student.

I agree on needing psych degrees as well. I wish I could just teach.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 PM

1,079 posts, read 938,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I do not review my children's homework and it has nothing to do with an "I'm paying you..." attitude. My children's education is THEIR job. It's up to them to check for spelling errors and grammar or figure out how they're going to pull a grade up if they don't or if they bomb a test. As far as I'm concerned if I edit their papers before they turn them in, I'm the one who deserves the grade not them. IMO, reviewing their work before they turn it in sends the message that it's someone elses job to see to the detail of them getting the work right. THAT is THIER JOB!!! and they need to realize it is their job. I teach 11th graders and they don't proof their own work. They've been taught that mommy or daddy will do it for them. If I take off points for spelling errors, grammar mistakes, misues of words, incomplete sentences, whatever....I get told I need to grade on content because my class isn't an English class.

I find it very sad that my students don't know to proof their own work but it's not their fault. They were taught that that is someone elses job not theirs by parents who did it for them for years.
That was my thinking exactly. I was also the parent that would not bring their homework to school if they forgot it. I figured I wouldn't be around forever to hold their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or