Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,841,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would rather have a Dad who was 68, and wanted me, than a Dad who was 16, and did not a baby.
I can understand that.

**The following is not directed at you, but the thread in general**

I know that accidents can happen, people can get diseases, and a million other reasons that children may not have both parents living when they reach adulthood. That is a given that I thought didn't need to be stated. My main thought on this is that I personally wouldn't want to set my child up from the beginning to lose her parent at a young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,201,329 times
I don't know, in my family, people live past 100.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
His father died at 71 and his mother died at 85. If he dies at the same age as his father, his daughter will be 3. If he follows after his mother, his daughter will be 17.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,502,418 times
Quote:
Mine too. And from about 85 on, they are incapable of taking care of themselves easily, much less a child.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,820,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Mine too. And from about 85 on, they are incapable of taking care of themselves easily, much less a child.
That would be my big concern. My mother is 66, and she is already unable to take care of herself. She was also involved in an accident when I was 13 and suffered brain damage and memory loss. I ended up with a lot of the care taking duties, especially with emotional support.

That was an accident, of course- but it isn't something I would wish on someone, or knowingly up the risks of having it happen to my child. The potential for your child to end up in a care taking situation from a young age is awfully high with this scenario.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree AnnaNomus...you're right...it's no where near being the worst thing that could happen.....and rkb0305..what other reason IS there for having a kid...other than you want one???How can you possibly know a child's best interest if you don't have one???Wanting to have, and love a child is NOT selfish.....but denying someone else like De Niro that same joy, just because he's an older man really IS selfish....for this couple this IS a responsible choice....and I stand in admiration, and wish DeNiro and his wife the best.
Sorry, got to disagree. Having a child is one of the most selfish choices most of us ever make in our lives, and there are many other more important reasons to do it other than "I want one".

The truth is, people should only have kids when they are completely ready to nurture, mold and mentor new human beings into people with something to offer the world in which we all live.

Having a child should bring out the BEST in you the parent, not the worst most self-centered side.

A 68 year old dad has AT BEST 20 good years to offer his child. In reality, it will be more like 12 years.

The kid will get the short end of the stick in more ways than we can count.

It's one thing when natural forces rob a child of a parent before the parent has completed their job and lived up to all their responsibilities.

It's a whole other thing for a man to selfishly choose to have a child on purpose that he knows he will have to leave well before the child is prepared to lose his best teacher and protector.

There are many good reasons to have a child, but saying simply "because I want one" is not one of them and is the most short-sighted and selfish of all.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,538,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't see ANYTHING wrong at all with having a baby at his age...not for him anyways.....he can hire all the help he needs...and will undoubtedly leave the child with everything it could possibly need when he's gone.....and that's better than a lot of young men out there today sowing wild oats and taking no responsibility what so ever.
Simply not being a deadbeat is setting the standard very low.

My grandmother is 78, and my grandfather is a few years older. I just got back from visiting them. My grandmother has a rare form of Parkinsons and is rapidly wasting away, and my grandfather is either suffering from fatigue or (more likely) Alzheimer's. It's heartbreaking. A little kid should not have to go through this. It's hard enough on their sons, who are in their 50s and 60s.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,201,329 times
Valid points. I remember taking care of my 85 year old Grandmother, and four kids, thinking, "there is a reason why God made it so people don't take care of little kids and old people at the same time in their lives."!

That is okay, I managed. With medication.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, got to disagree. Having a child is one of the most selfish choices most of us ever make in our lives, and there are many other more important reasons to do it other than "I want one".

The truth is, people should only have kids when they are completely ready to nurture, mold and mentor new human beings into people with something to offer the world in which we all live.

Having a child should bring out the BEST in you the parent, not the worst most self-centered side.

A 68 year old dad has AT BEST 20 good years to offer his child. In reality, it will be more like 12 years.

The kid will get the short end of the stick in more ways than we can count.

It's one thing when natural forces rob a child of a parent before the parent has completed their job and lived up to all their responsibilities.

It's a whole other thing for a man to selfishly choose to have a child on purpose that he knows he will have to leave well before the child is prepared to lose his best teacher and protector.

There are many good reasons to have a child, but saying simply "because I want one" is not one of them and is the most short-sighted and selfish of all.
I agree when you say "having a child is one of the most selfish choices most of us ever make" it is, and it's always because we want one...responsible people who "want one" will be sure to love and protect, and take into consideration what will be there for the child when they are not...don't you think?...kinda like having godparents.... a father doesn't have to be the childs "best teacher and protector (look at all the good step dads out there)..I can't see this kid getting the short end of any stick...ever

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM

861 posts, read 1,448,580 times
That is ridiculous.

I just became a father for the first time earlier this year at the age of 21 (my wife was 20), I couldn't imagine having more kids at 68. I certainly wouldn't want to be raising a teenager into my 80s. However, it's possible he may pass away beofre this child "grows up", which is a sad thought.

Heck, none of my Grandparents are even 68 yet. My Nana's 58 and my grandpa is 59 (dad's parents). My mom's mom is 60 and my mom's dad is 62.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting