U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM

220 posts, read 237,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Robert De Niro is 68 years old and a surrogate just delivered another baby for him a few days ago. He will be 86 before this child becomes an adult. I would love to be able to say 'Congrats on the new baby", but I am having a hard time of it with this one. I feel (remember I said feel) that at that age it is very selfish to keep having kids. There is a very good chance that this child's father won't be alive to see her graduate from High School much less college.

Does anyone else feel that 68 is just too old to have a baby?
Having a baby at 68 is just straight-up stupid.

On the other hand, in this case, DeNiro is not going to be raising the child anyway.

Some people are just bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
everything he needs... except a dad Since when does hiring help replace being a parent?
Who said hiring help is to replace the parents.....I'd be willing to bet that there are more kids growing up with a dad who's not their biological father than are not.....what's wrong with loving your kids while you can....just because you might not be there for as long as a younger parent doesn't mean the child is not worthy of being born, and can't be brought up in a loving nurturing environment....this man KNOWS that his child will be provided for, why deny him the right to give all the love he can, while he can, even though it might not be for long....The age old argument of the child needs a father just doesn't cut it....I have 2 friends whose dads died when they were very young...they're normal well adjusted men...I have a young friend whose husband died and left her with 2 very young children....those children have a lot of male influence in their lives, and though they miss their dad...they're not resentful, nor mal adjusted in ANY way.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Who said hiring help is to replace the parents.....I'd be willing to bet that there are more kids growing up with a dad who's not their biological father than are not.....what's wrong with loving your kids while you can....just because you might not be there for as long as a younger parent doesn't mean the child is not worthy of being born, and can't be brought up in a loving nurturing environment....this man KNOWS that his child will be provided for, why deny him the right to give all the love he can, while he can, even though it might not be for long....The age old argument of the child needs a father just doesn't cut it....I have 2 friends whose dads died when they were very young...they're normal well adjusted men...I have a young friend whose husband died and left her with 2 very young children....those children have a lot of male influence in their lives, and though they miss their dad...they're not resentful, nor mal adjusted in ANY way.
You said it. you said this is perfectly fine because he can hire help.

Are you kidding me? It is selfish. The man already has like 5 kids by 3 different mothers. He's already been a dad. He's setting the kid up to be fatherless at a young age. How is that not completely selfish? No, he doesn't NEED a dad, but it sure is nice to grow up before your dad dies. I can't fathom why anyone would think this is a good idea.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,481,614 times
Maybe he and his wife are bored.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
It bothers me that some posters are saying because this man is wealthy and can afford help, he probably will not be a real Dad to his children and especially this late-in-life child. Being able to hire help just means he can spend MORE time being a Dad and he doesn't have to worry about a 9 to 5 job to keep food on the table. Sure, he might not live to see his child grown but life has no guarantee no matter what your age when you have children.

At least we know for sure this child will not be dependent on society to feed and house it---which is not something young "Dads" even think about before becoming a parent. You can be sure DeNiro put some thought into this decision.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
I don't understand why people are bringing young dads into this discussion, like it is an either/or thing. Young dads, deadbeat dads have nothing to do with this discussion. We're talking about a 68 year old and a 56? year old purposely making a baby. So what if they have money? Money is nice but it isn't a substitute for living parents. So the kid has adult siblings who could step in...maybe they don't want to. A responsible person wouldn't put that burden on his adult children.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,979,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your entire post is all about him and what he gets out of it.
doesn't the child get life out of it? Can a father or not in your life even be a plus or con when you lack existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I would love to be able to fast forward 25 years and ask the child is s/he would have just preferred to not have been born at all. Then I would be able to answer the OP's question.
exactly. How sad for him/her that people think that they don't deserve to exist because they don't fit certain criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My husband's dad was 63 when my husband was born and died when my husband was three. He's never known his dad, and it does affect him. I think it's very selfish for people to have kids at that age, but this is all coming from the point of view of someone who knows a person with a parent who was very old.

I think it would have been worse on him had his dad lived longer because he would have the memories of his dad.
So you would rather wish your husband, and then your children away??

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,511,480 times
When you have Deniro's type of money you're allowed to have a child at 68 lol.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
doesn't the child get life out of it? Can a father or not in your life even be a plus or con when you lack existence?

exactly. How sad for him/her that people think that they don't deserve to exist because they don't fit certain criteria.

So you would rather wish your husband, and then your children away??
I never said that. I will also add, though, that my husband's mom is much younger than his dad. That isn't the case in this example, though. Both parents are pretty old in the grand scheme of being new parents. My husband's parents also didn't set out to have him on purpose.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I never said that. I will also add, though, that my husband's mom is much younger than his dad. That isn't the case in this example, though. Both parents are pretty old in the grand scheme of being new parents. My husband's parents also didn't set out to have him on purpose.
She is 9 years younger than he is, you know. Aside from that women, on average live longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting