Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times

Advertisements

I was in Target yesterday, and heard a woman yelling at her young son. He looked about 4 or 5. She told him that if he didn't shape up, she would find a switch and beat him.

I listened to this and tried to really get a handle on what she was saying. She was definitely angry, you could hear it in her voice.

I wanted to say something to this woman, but she seemed very angry and not too receptive.

What could I, if anything, done to help the situation? I feel bad that I didn't say anything. Could I have protected this child?

As a child myself, who used to get spanked, I know how damaging this type of punishment can be. Making my parents so angry that they would spank me, damanged my own sense of self. I had no conrol over their anger. They could do what they wanted if I was a "bad girl".

Anyone have any advice?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do.
1: it's her child, 2: you don't know her, and 3: sometimes parents threaten their kids but don't do anything. It's Chritmas time, maybe she was overwhelmed and "blew a fuse", that doesn't mean she beats her child. And even if she does, unfortunately it's none of your business.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
I don't think there are any laws against yelling at your child. But i hear where your coming from. Like the other poster the best action in a situation like this in no action.
It's not your business, and unfortunately the person doing the yelling in a public place like that probably has some issues, as it's apparent they lack some self control. That's not your problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Meh. I've yelled at my kids at Target before too. I don't know ANY stressed out parent who has never yelled at their child in public. That's part and parcel of parenting IMO.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
This is a way of behaving that you are not going to change with one encounter in a store.

If she were physically hurting the child, you could step in. Sometimes, though, confronting and admonishing an angry adult in public only makes things worse for the kid at home, if you know what I mean.

Here's one recent example of a shopper who started recording a mom who had been yelling at her child. Lots of bad decisions going on at once here:

Mother abuses and yells at child in Walmart in Vineland, NJ - YouTube

Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do.
1: it's her child, 2: you don't know her, and 3: sometimes parents threaten their kids but don't do anything. It's Chritmas time, maybe she was overwhelmed and "blew a fuse", that doesn't mean she beats her child. And even if she does, unfortunately it's none of your business.
Wrong. If you see a child being beaten, it is everybody's business. We are all mandated reporters under the law, well at east in 18 states. No idea where you live.
As far as the store incident....The only thing a person might have done is quickly talk to the store manager...
Sadly....if you had said something this person may have taken it out of the child. Poor kid.
Might be good to look up your laws concerning this type incident, then know next time what you can do.
Here's a few links
specific to this OP http://www.americanhumane.org/childr...ituations.html
http://www.americanhumane.org/childr...d-neglect.html
Child Abuse & Neglect: Recognizing and Preventing Child Abuse

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/chil...lect.htm#types

Last edited by JanND; 12-09-2012 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: link added

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^The child was not being beaten. I do not see the point of getting involved in a situation like the OP described.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Go for it! People yelling is obnoxious. They need to be informed they are jerks. Rarely is throwing a temper temptrum good for others. For parents yelling at kids, I've given rude stares but haven't tried talking to them yet. Perhaps:

1) Can you yell louder, I have trouble hearing you?
2) Start trying to explaining to them they should chill out.

Worse is two parents arguing in front of kids. Sitting next to a couple at an eatery having breakfast after 10 minutes I got aggravated enough and asked them if they could stop arguing it's extremely annoying to listen to.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
get off the cell phone and the couch and parent your kids and sometimes yes there is gonna be a need to swat some butts and to yell the PC concerns are pushing us into a tattletale mode.. Kids push buttons .. they act up and need to be walked on a shorter leash in childhood .. thats a fact .. Yelling happens.. spanking should happen more often and with todays kids they need a very short leash ..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Well -- she obviously wasn't a parent who believes in spanking or she would have spanked him instead of been screaming at him.

There really are only a few methods of discipline. Spanking, screaming, time-outs, withholding something, threatening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting