Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

She's 56. Many don't think that's too old. The child's siblings are older adults so the siblings can definitely raise the child if the parents die. It just seems....unnecessary. If it were a natural accident, it would be understandable on some level. But to hire a sarrogate and purposely do this at his age is nutty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She's 56. Many don't think that's too old. The child's siblings are older adults so the siblings can definitely raise the child if the parents die. It just seems....unnecessary. If it were a natural accident, it would be understandable on some level. But to hire a sarrogate and purposely do this at his age is nutty.
He gets to enjoy being a grandpa without answering to anyone else. When he gets tired or needs a break, he has plenty of help around to hand the baby off to.

If he dies, his grown kids take over and raise the child with his fortune. So no worries there.

He probably missed out on a lot of his older kids' childhood years. This is a chance for him to experience being a hands on dad.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
He gets to enjoy being a grandpa without answering to anyone else. When he gets tired or needs a break, he has plenty of help around to hand the baby off to.

If he dies, his grown kids take over and raise the child with his fortune. So no worries there.

He probably missed out on a lot of his older kids' childhood years. This is a chance for him to experience being a hands on dad.
Your entire post is all about him and what he gets out of it.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times
Uh, how about the mom? The bio mom is 56; anything above forty is just too old, and anything above sixty is ridiculous, imo. I think children deserve to have their parents, well into their twenties and thirties. My mom will be 50 this year and BOTH of her parents are alive. I feel lucky, at 20, to have been able to meet her parents. This kid won't ever know her grandparents, and there is a very good chance neither of her parents will live long enough for her.

It isn't fair to the kid, and isn't fair to those who will have to take responsibility of the kid when De Niro dies. And no, it isn't a question of IF he die, just a matter of when. And the life expectancy of a American man isn't much older than 68 years old.

How unfair.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM

399 posts, read 854,532 times
In this day and age I think it's too old to have a child. The monetary commitment is too great compared to retirement, health care costs, basic needs etc..
However,
My grandfather had my father when he was 72 years old. His first wife and child had died during the flu epidemic and he then married his housekeeper. He had three children, 2 girls and a boy (my father) in 1911. He died in 1918 when my father was 7 years old. My grandfather was eligible to vote for Lincoln in the second election. And he had 3 horses behind the house so when he went anywhere it was on horseback. After his father's death my father lived with his mother and 2 sisters. He got a 4 year scholarship to Brown University for football but could not attend as he had to work to support his family. I am almost 60, have 3 daughters, and could never do it again.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM

175 posts, read 296,267 times
A few here have said that his adult children would take his place as parent should he die, with all his money...and to that I say, money does not make a willing parent.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I would love to be able to fast forward 25 years and ask the child is s/he would have just preferred to not have been born at all. Then I would be able to answer the OP's question.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
A few here have said that his adult children would take his place as parent should he die, with all his money...and to that I say, money does not make a willing parent.
and why should they have that burden.........

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Robert De Niro is 68 years old and a surrogate just delivered another baby for him a few days ago. He will be 86 before this child becomes an adult. I would love to be able to say 'Congrats on the new baby", but I am having a hard time of it with this one. I feel (remember I said feel) that at that age it is very selfish to keep having kids. There is a very good chance that this child's father won't be alive to see her graduate from High School much less college.

Does anyone else feel that 68 is just too old to have a baby?
Of course all parents take certain risks when having kids, but yeah, I think it's pushing it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I would love to be able to fast forward 25 years and ask the child is s/he would have just preferred to not have been born at all. Then I would be able to answer the OP's question.

That's always such a silly question. IMO of course.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I don't see ANYTHING wrong at all with having a baby at his age...not for him anyways.....he can hire all the help he needs...and will undoubtedly leave the child with everything it could possibly need when he's gone.....and that's better than a lot of young men out there today sowing wild oats and taking no responsibility what so ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting