U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,384,150 times

Advertisements

[quote=rezfreak;22284035]Unfortunately that is far from correct. It is FAR safer to keep them rear facing even if their feet touch. A broken leg is much better than internal decapitation.

Regardless of that, the LAW in texas states the minimum of 1 year before forward facing.[\QUOTE]

Actually, that is the exact issue, it isn't a broken leg they are talking about it is a complete rupture of the hip joint and damage to internal organs when the legs take the brunt of the impact. The larger convertible car seats accommodate this issue for older/bigger babies but if they are in an infant car seat, they are safer forward facing if their feet touch the seat.

Also, the actual LAW says they have to be restrained: TxDPS - Texas Occupant Restraint Laws

They SUGGEST as best practices: TxDPS - Child Passenger Safety Information

Which, by the way, for rear facing infants is "up to the limits of the car seat" and if you read the limits of the car seat is says that the child's feet should not touch the back of the seat of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:52 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,744,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If we're talking safety, let's focus only on safety. Let's stop focusing so much on the law in Texas because laws can be wrong.

IMO size is more important than age. My children were born 11lbs and 12lbs and spent most of their lives in the 99th percentile. By age one they looked two. By age one other people's children look 6 months old. And the quote in Kibbie's post validates this. I also strongly believe that smaller children should stay in a car seat longer than their age too.

The reality is that some kids become too big for their car seats before a certain age.
2 years OR the weight limit, which is 40 lbs for the seat I used as an example. For a 24 month old, 40 lbs is off the chart. Literally, I'm looking at the chart, and it only goes up to 38 lbs. It would be very rare to reach the weight limit before reaching 2 years old.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM

[quote=golfgal;22285331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Unfortunately that is far from correct. It is FAR safer to keep them rear facing even if their feet touch. A broken leg is much better than internal decapitation.

Regardless of that, the LAW in texas states the minimum of 1 year before forward facing.[\QUOTE]

Actually, that is the exact issue, it isn't a broken leg they are talking about it is a complete rupture of the hip joint and damage to internal organs when the legs take the brunt of the impact. The larger convertible car seats accommodate this issue for older/bigger babies but if they are in an infant car seat, they are safer forward facing if their feet touch the seat.

Also, the actual LAW says they have to be restrained: TxDPS - Texas Occupant Restraint Laws

Which, by the way, for rear facing infants is "up to the limits of the car seat" and if you read the limits of the car seat is says that the child's feet should not touch the back of the seat of the car.
where? what car seat?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

There you go! That properly puts the Texas law argument to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
2 years OR the weight limit, which is 40 lbs for the seat I used as an example. For a 24 month old, 40 lbs is off the chart. Literally, I'm looking at the chart, and it only goes up to 38 lbs. It would be very rare to reach the weight limit before reaching 2 years old.
I'm very aware of your example. I quoted it. I bolded it. That OR is what's relevant. My children were off the charts! You should have seen my arm and back mucles from carrying children who were 35lbs before they could walk. They weren't fat either. They were born big---heavy and long---and they just kept growing and growing. Their weight was always appropriate for their height (except right before that growth spurt at puberty). I gave birth to Amazons. I'm telling you.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
I think folks have hit on what is basically the crux of the debate. The recommendations are ever changing, for instance they changed between my son being born in 2004 and my daughter in 2008. The laws, while a little tighter are also vague on what is and isn't OK, differ radically across the country and generally don't meet the recommendations. For instance, a carseat manufacturer lobbying group had been extolling much higher age/weight standards long before the AAP changed its stance. Then you get to throw in things like "per your carseat manufacturers limits" which can also vary wildly.

Between my three kids, they were all different in terms of how long we kept them rear facing and when we switched to a booster. My son has always been large for his age and he was moved to forward facing right a month before his first birthday, he simply didn't fit properly. He also switched into a booster seat right before his fourth birthday, he met the height and weight requirements. DD1 is tall but slender and she stayed rear facing longer, didn't flip around until 16 months when her legs just didn't fit anymore. DD2 turned forward at 1. Both of the DD's have high end Sunshine Radian seats and we do plan to keep them in them as long as we can, but we also made the investment in those seats.

Overall, it is just one of those things that parents can use to point to other people and say they aren't good parents.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,434,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I never stated they were in an infant seat, they are in a convertible carseat which is MADE for longer rear facing.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Just clarifying percentiles. A child in the 99th percentile represents 1% of children for that age.

That might be rare but it's not extraordinarly rare that it doesn't exist.

I can't find the number of 1 year olds in the US so we'll go with the number of births because most will eventually reach one year old.

There were 4,130,665 babies born in 2011. 1% is 41,307. That's a lot of kids! LOL

And there are children over the 100th percentile too.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
She lives in Texas, where the car seat laws state they must be rear facing until 1 year old AND 20 lbs. The child is 20 lbs or over.
By the way, click on golfgal's links. You are referring to Texas recommendations, not Texas laws. Texas laws say nothing of the sort.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There you go! That properly puts the Texas law argument to rest.

I'm very aware of your example. I quoted it. I bolded it. That OR is what's relevant. My children were off the charts! You should have seen my arm and back mucles from carrying children who were 35lbs before they could walk. They weren't fat either. They were born big---heavy and long---and they just kept growing and growing. Their weight was always appropriate for their height (except right before that growth spurt at puberty). I gave birth to Amazons. I'm telling you.
I get it, but none of that applies to the OP. What the OP described, 10 months old, front facing in the front seat is wrong no matter where you are or how big the kid is.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:29 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,109,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT;

So, my opinion would be to let it go, it's not worth the fight. Chances are your nephew will be just fine. Lord knows that if rear facing seats to 2 years old, 5 point harnesses until 5' tall and boosters until puberty were necessary for survival, none of us would be around. I do think it's stupid to take the kind of risks they are, but I also can't say I follow the teachings of the carseat cult to a "T".
That can't be right. 5 feet tall?! There are adults who are not 5 feet tall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting